All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Not related: find the best Caribbean island for YOU:

https://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/this-is-the-best-caribbean-island-for-you?mbid=nl_090218_Daily&CNDID=53507426&weekend_photo=0&spMailingID=14170427&spUserID=MjY1ODU1MTg5NDgwS0&spJobID=1480128025&spReportId=MTQ4MDEyODAyNQS2

The only ones I've been to are the Bahamas and St. Barts. I guess we haven't cruised the Caribbean enough. :)

Home last night from our Boston trip. There’s no lobster for my scrambled eggs [emoji22][emoji6]. I did weigh myself when we got home. The first two weeks since end of January that I didn’t lose weight (but I didn’t gain either) Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Welcome home Melody! There's a bit of let down after travel...you did get to eat some good looking food on your trip!

I'm just about done with my prep for Florence. I've been to both Target and Walmart now and I keep forgetting to purchase a new small cylinder of propane or two. We have a few old ones but I'm not sure how full they are...and I thought getting at least one new one would be good. That's the one thing that is so different about this situation versus the last hurricane strike I lived through (Ike in Houston about 10 years ago now...OMG...WOW...10 years!) ANYWAY...

My apartment is completely electric so if necessarily, we'll be relying on the camping equipment for cooking. I have a few things to pull up from the on-site storage (buckets for water, so we can flush toilets if the power goes out and our two coolers). DH and I have a plan for getting ice so we can empty the freezer into one cooler...we figure that it will actually be colder in an ice filled chest rather than in the top of a fridge that doesn't work. We'll probably empty some other fridge items into the other cooler so that we don't have to open the door as much either.

Many things will depend on the reality of Florence, but we have plans in place to deal with things. Meanwhile...I'm trying to get caught up on all my chores...especially the electricity dependent ones...so I'm channeling Laurie to get all the laundry done!

Also...finish up the kitchen. Deal with the dishes. Monitor the fridge...it's important that there's nothing in there that will become an issue. Unused leftovers, etc. and anything that will stink. Just staying on top of it.

I'm a little surprised by the lack of preparation in most of the people around me. I know that we are 200 miles away from Wilmington, a likely landfall position...but they are saying that the storm is huge and will cover most of the state...we're expecting tropical storm force wind and accompanying rain as early as tomorrow night.

There is talk about how people have a hard time preparing for something that they have no experience with...and I think Fran back in 1996 was the last major hurricane to hit NC. I just remember how things were with Ike...and that wasn't too bad honestly. Not compared to Harvey last year...and they are saying around here that Florence could be as bad as Harvey for flooding inland because most projections are thinking that she's going to stall and sit and dump buckets.

The update overnight lessened my projected rainfall...but I'm still pretty darn close to where they are talking about 15+ inches of rain. That's a lot of rain. This area has a lot of trees too. This area is really hilly too...so if there is flooding, I'm not sure how easy it would be to get out and get any supplies...especially since I live next to the RR tracks...pretty much every area is up from me, so I could be stuck in water, IDK...there is some downhill from our parking lot so hopefully that's enough downhill from here to protect the cars...I did lose a car once in Houston to street flooding from a storm.

Oh. Propane and cash...

That's what's going on with me...LOL. Posting helps me gather my thoughts. My turn...Sally dealt with it last year...

Mom gets on her cruise ship today in Barcelona. I guess she is already on board with the time difference and probably has sailed away already...

A good idea Melody...most everything down there is garage related. Some outdoor gear. We’ll see how our forecast goes as we get nearer to the main event. DH got his flight bumped up...I’m so glad he got it rescheduled for tomorrow. He can help with such things when he gets home.

Anita - praying that the storms won't affect you too much, but it sounds like you have a good plan. I'm sure your camping experience helps you to think outside the box and not panic.

Our area had so much rain just a few weeks ago that just the rain we have gotten the last few days are being an issue and the Susquehanna is predicted to flood in several towns (already had some localized issues).

We should be ok at our house. Not sure if our cruise will happen Sunday or not (Pride out of Baltimore).

Stay safe everyone :)

pacruise...we do have a plan. It helps that we lived in Houston when Ike hit. I can’t recall exactly how long we were without power there...less than a week. And the flooding wasn’t as severe where we were living in Cypress but my in laws all lived down in the evacuation zone and so vicariously we lived through dealing with flooding, etc.

I’m not too concerned about safety. Since we live downtown in a factory conversion loft, our building a big brick landmark, and we live on the 6th floor. DS has other commuter friends that live in a typical neighborhood and they’re all,very concerned about trees as well they should be. We were fortunate with Ike...downed fences but no downed trees on our lot, but my neighborhood had house damage and car damage from fallen trees.

That’s a good point about belongings for those that are concerned. I’m not concerned about belongings in this residence. I hope all lurkers here know that this thread is very welcoming for new conversation, especially helpful and constructive posts.

We’re praying here for all those in the path and especially those in the evacuation zones...all information to us here in NC is that this is an historic storm coming and we all need to be prepared. They’ve already canceled classes and downgraded operations at DS’ school for Thursday through Sunday.

Last year when we were getting ready for the hurricane I stocked up at the deli with cooked chicken ,potato salad , cheese and crackers ,etc. These all came in handy since all food stores and restaurants were closed for several days .I also stock piled water and easy snack food . I do not know about you but stress makes me hungry . I also had reading material .I was shocked last year how absolutely nothing was open .Take care Anita !

Great minds Sally! I am stocked with deli meat and cheese. I got a bunch of eggs to hard boil and make deviled eggs or egg salad. Tuna. I have a bag of potatoes and some other things I have to cook up myself...that's tomorrow's chore...finish food prep for easy reheat eating or cook free eating. OR grilled eating...I did get some hot dogs and sausages too. Lots of junk food...LOL. DH requested Nutty Bars... ;)

Reading material is a great idea! I have a few books and some magazines I haven't read yet. And a puzzle I haven't opened yet. And a cross stitch project.