All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Laurie, I love those curtains. You know I like me some blue. :) Have you considered using a curtain in the same tone as the walls or trim for the closet? It might break up the plane of the wall less, if that is what you are thinking about. Otherwise I would match the curtains at the window. JMO.

I just remembered that you asked us what we have in our guest rooms. At the lake we have a twin trundle that we dress as a daybed most of the time, and we have a corner desk, small dresser, and TV in there. Last year when we were living at the lake full time during the reno, we put our desktop there and I used it as my office. It's a corner room, so I could see the lake from one window and the garden from the other when I was working. Lovely. When we have guests the bed turns into either a king or two twins, which is handy whether we have kids or adults in there. Even with the trundle out, we have room for a small cot too, for an extra kid if we need it. Then we have a tiny third bedroom that just has room for a queen size bed at an angle and a small table.

In the city, our third bedroom is only 12 x 14. In our remodel we turned it into a flex room. So, daily it is set up as a reading room. If we take the chair out, the long skinny console table folds out for dinner for six, or we inflate our queen mattress for guests (which has happened twice now so I know it works). I also use that room for staging packing for our longer trips. I have an over the door hanger and hang everything I've chosen to take up there until it's time to pack, and I fold the table out halfway for all the odds and ends we want to bring: snorkels, bathing suits, cameras, etc.

You can tell that we use our "guest rooms" as space for ourselves most of the time. Obviously we don't have kids and grandkids as regular visitors, which changes the equation I would think.

Laurie, I have one addition to that room (that sounds lovely by the way). Instead of a curtain on the closet, what about a full length mirror. Mirrors make rooms look larger also. I mirrored a short wall by a closet (using mirror tiles) (the closet has bifold doors) in our guest bedroom (aka my cruise room) & that’s what people comment on most on how handy it is.

I worked at a job that I adored for 30 years; yes, there was a ton of stress involved & I relished it. I loved making calm out of chaos (a 4-star general actually wrote that in a thank you note to me). I literally woke up one morning in June 2011 & said I’m retiring the end of September (which was exactly 30 years to the day that I started in protocol with the Air Force). Everyone (family included) laughed & said you’ll never retire, I did & have never looked back, the fact that there are now 5 people doing what I did as a one-person office makes me smile, especially when I get called to answer a question or to participate in a huge event & yes, I’ve traveled several times to conduct a ceremony. What I’m getting at, in a convoluted way is, you’ll know when it’s time for you to go.

I do think stress has an awful lot to do with illness & Les has had one tough summer. We really need to have a good vacation.

I’ve obviously also had too much coffee...too early for wine tho [emoji6]. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I watch too much HGTV . I even watch it while on the treadmill . I love the use of barn doors to cover closets .It adds a great touch and they have them at Home Depot or Lowe's . I love the curtains you picked out and the bedspread .

We have two spare bedrooms . One is a guest room and one has exercise equipment for when I do not feel like going to the gym .

I worked 40 years in Nursing in various area mostly OR . I was going to retire in my 50's but when my husband died I needed to stay busy so I continued working .One day I just decided enough was enough and I quit at 60 .I then started selling on ebay and did that for eight years . That was on a real part time basis in my PJ's .All I can say is you will know when it's time to leave a job..

We had a Home Owner's Association at my last home . They spent months discussing bird feeders.They are great for keeping a neighborhood looking good but sometimes thy get a little crazy .

My daughters HOA is discussing Sunsetter awnings. Her’s is up & about 9 others also. Her neighbor is president of HOA & loves her awning (remote controlled). Big wind? Automatically retracts

Sally, I like barn doors too

The curtains and bed spread combo are lovely! Very serene...very nice. I think the pattern on the curtains will not be dated anytime soon either. I love pattern and had some similar curtains to those but more of a buff color in the pattern with white instead of blue and white. I was almost sad when I dropped them off at Goodwill but we weren't using them and they were starting to be negatively affected with storage.

Instead of a normal curtain to cover the closet, check out Japanese Noren curtains. That'll give you the coverage you're looking for to clean up the view...hiding what is behind the curtain from everyday sight, but still making access easier. I took the door off our current closet because the swing really interfered with the traffic pattern in our room and put up one of these Noren curtains. I've done this several times now.

You can pick the Noren curtain like you pick artwork. Most curtains can have the affect of a poster or painting in the room. If your closet doorway is wider, like what would normally have bi-fold doors, then you could get a plainer / solid curtain to split to put on the outsides to act like a kind of fabric frame. Depending on the doorway...mine have been single doors with the doorways being framed...the doorway itself acts like a frame for the curtain artwork.

Pay attention to the fabric though. I got one that I didn't like as much because the fabric was so stiff. It hung kind of weird...not very gracefully.

Sally, I used to watch a lot of HGTV. I enjoy watching the transformation shows. I can't watch too much though or I started to feel dissatisfied, longing for things that cannot be yet.

I don't know if I'll experience retirement except vicariously through DH. It all depends on if I can get a new work going after DS goes off to college. Right now...my work is very home centric...I'd like to be working on something that isn't directly related to the family or the house...but figuring out what that is has always been challenging while my primary DS caregiver role. In a very real sense, I'll be going through a career change with DS leaving for college but what that will be or could be will be greatly influenced by where we are, which is something that is yet to be determined.

That said, I'm currently in a period of great reflection and evaluation...trying to figure out how to design a life and establish a lifestyle that supports our life goals, which are changing. DH and I have been very focused on DS support and nurturing, with that being our primary guiding principle for nearly all our decisions as we navigated the ups and downs of DH's work. Now we are formulating a new life purpose, if you will, and planning and figuring out how DH and I can adjust work and lifestyle to support that is where we are at.

Exciting time Margaret! I've had so much change over the years...change is my norm. Settling in to one place carries as much anxiety for me as change might for you. I can't imagine being happy enough to decide that one place is a good place to be for years and years. I cringe at the thought. Having any sort of permanence and the inability to change is somewhat frightening. When I think on your situation though...you are in what I perceive to be a hot bed of opportunity, there being so much opportunity within a radius of your locale...so change could be a very exciting prospect as it likely doesn't mean needing to change your locale as a result of change.

There's a great little essay that I recently read called "How to Live on 24 Hours a Day" by Arnold Bennett. What is crazy is that I didn't realize it was written in 1910. Now that I think about the lack of references to cell phones...it makes sense, but the ideas therein are so relevant to today, I'm very surprised to realize that date of authorship. Anyway...it's a free thing...I checked it out in Overdrive from my digital library, but I found it online:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2274

It's thought provoking...only 30 pages or so. It's written from the perspective of life in the UK but the ideas are where the value in reading it lies. It doesn't profess to have all the answers, just some guidance in how to gain a new perspective on time and how you spend it so that you can think about your own situation and hopefully get your own conclusions regarding your own dilemma regarding how you feel about the days that go by and whether or not you are living the life that you want to be living.

My year started with a thought to be more mindful...and I agree Margaret...this is just another aspect of the discussion...awareness over choice.

So glad that Les is responding well to the antibiotics! I hope you get that great vacation. I agree that you need to a nice enjoyable time with happy stressors, like what to wear and what to eat because it all looks good...if any stressors at all.

The room is quite small. I haven't measured it, but I would say it is about 10 x 13? The closet is in the corner, so doors in general aren't the best. If it opens one way, it will hit the bed and if it opens the other way, it hits the wall. And the doorway is pretty small. I think 24 inches?

I'm going to look at the options you all have mentioned.

My daughter and husband are going to be making her a headboard, so I have been curious to how this will turn out, and if it will inspire me to do the same in the spare room. The nice thing is, even though I know I will move very steadily on this, I also know that I can't get everything done immediately. I will likely get a standard bed frame that allows you to attach a headboard, and I can see what I think once I have it in the room and put together.

I'm looking forward to this. Even though dark cherry wouldn't normally be my first thought with white and blue, I think it's going to create a nice contrast and that is what the tables are that I'm considering. I think having them be a uniform color and having the styles work together will help be cohesive. The rocking chair is not the same finish. That is where I have an idea for the small scraps of fabric. I was thinking of making a pillow cover that is white but has a wide stripe through the center of that drapery print. I was thinking if that pillow is on the chair, it will help it to tie in to the room? And if it doesn't well...I feel really sure that the rocking chair belongs in that room.

I don't know if my belief of the rocking chair belonging is because it's Stephanie's old room, and I was expecting her when my mom got it for me? Or maybe it's because I figure someday I will have grandchildren, and this will be the room they stay over in. And I can use the rocking chair once again...

Or maybe I just like the spare room is right next to ours, and I will see that chair every time I walk in and out of our room.

Anita, you know what is funny? We are a bit opposite when you talk about cringing at staying in one place too long. I'm not afraid of change, and I embrace it. But my home is my refuge, my safety net. I like staying in one place a long time. I grew up mostly in one apartment, then I got my first apartment as an adult, spent the next 16 years in a house I owned, and now I am here in this home. I think that is why I focus a lot on decor or doing the things we want. We've created a home that makes me feel good.

With work, it isn't about knowing when it's time...it's a bit different. Both my husband and I work, and we both need to. If we tried to find a way to pare down things greatly so one of us could afford to retire, it would most likely be my husband, as my income is better. I spent many years being a divorced mom of two girls with little help from their dad, so my retirement is moving along nicely, but not where it needs to be. Switching careers is no easy task for someone who is legally deaf.

The bank has been very good to me, and I try very hard to do everything I can each and every day. It isn't anything negative towards them, I'm just burning out. I'm very, very grateful.

Right now, I'm trying to be introspective, and think about what the future holds for me. I think I will figure out what I need to do at some point.

Melody, I'm glad Les is starting to feel better.

Sally, I adore barn doors. Our house is a two story ranch though, and the scale is just too much for the smallish rooms. It's interesting, because I have always felt that our downstairs is just the right size - not too big, not too small. We have an eat in kitchen, dining room, living room, den, family room, large mud room and a good sized laundry room and extra tiny half bath. That's a lot.

Upstairs is three bedrooms and one full bath, and that is where I feel cramped. Tiny closets, and we could use another full bath. Our room is the master with a small bedroom where we removed the wall. The overall square footage is nice, but the room is very narrow, and furniture arrangement is very challenging. I keep trying to talk my husband into adding another closet on the other side of the "bowling alley" but we have two double windows and a small side window. We'd lose the side window and he doesn't want that. I think I'll steal some space in the spare bedroom closet! The 24 inch wide one, lol. :-)

I love DIY and HGTV both. I adore this stuff. I wish they still had more shows based on decorating though. I miss those.

Anita & Laurie ,You are both going through times of change where your children are concerned . That is difficult . I had a hard time when my daughter went to college but life moves on .I am not a big fan of change but I do it . .

Anita , You will find something that fits you . Have you ever though about Photography ? You seem to enjoy it and are good at it .

Melody , Have a great trip !

I have not decided on a trip for next year so I made a spread sheet with the different possibilities and it has really helped me eliminate some things .

Bags are packed, I’m ready to go. Les is feeling great!

Just checked in to our flight for tomorrow OMG it’s 30 minutes earlier than yesterday, now arriving at airport before 0400, I’ll be pulling Les along, he’s not an early bird [emoji6]Melody

So glad Les is feeling better! Hope you have such a good time with all the parties and everything that you are doing!

Sally...I have not thought about photography. My uncle is very into photography...he's only 4 years old than myself...so I've seen the way someone is when they are really into it. I'm not that into it. I like it and enjoy it for personal use but not for trying to turn it into a job of sorts.

Thank you for the complement on my own photography...if you could see how many pictures I actually take...LOL...before picking out "the ones"...well...yay for digital cameras! AND for software that can "fix" the photos. ;)

I am a big fan of change. I also relate to what Laurie says about home...my home is also my refuge...but I don't get attached to any one particular house...I have more attachment to the things that make the place I live in my home.

I don't always enjoy moving...but I must admit that a part of me really likes moving. I LIKE going through all my stuff...I like the process of making a new place home. At one point, I thought I wanted to be an architect...design homes specifically. I think living in different places gives me an outlet for the creative and artistic thoughts I have regarding homes. It gets harder as we get older and have less stamina for the actual business of moving though.

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with getting to know a new place...but I do also find that to be more stimulating than frustrating, especially when we go to a place that allows us to do things that we weren't able to do in the old place. Like this living Downtown experience. This has been great fun to do.

I know I'm going to cry with DS goes off to college. If I allow it, I can instantly tear up at the thought. And yet, at the same time, I'm really ready for him to go off on his own...ready to let him start making his decisions and see what happens with his life...I think because he has a clear plan forward for the next IDK 8 years? He's headed for PhD land with the music so...all this is helping me feel good about him moving forward on his own path.

And I'm ready for my life to not be limited by the school year, school boundaries, and his schedule. I don't necessarily look forward to not having DS at home...far from that...but at the same time...I'm kind of ready to see how life is with just DH and I together again.

Anyone have any Labor Day plans? DH was just asking me what I would like to do... We're having a couple over for dinner on Sunday...it'll be our first "entertaining" since moving here. I'd like to do SOMEthing...just have to figure it out. DS actually has the day off this year...last year he had class on Labor Day.

We’re here, finally. Almost 3 hour delay in Dallas (maintenance). af4291f588763414a2cccba0bece5dac.jpggood dinner f4953f321c4622c2d2679eb080c519e7.jpg627a88357883a141a10fe53e7d3df096.jpg& a Red Sox win. Of course it’s 95 here at 10 pm & they just came to fix our room ac. All good now. Melody

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm happy being in the same place for so long because there is so much change and stimulation available to me outside the home. Both in the city and at the lake, all I have to do is step outside my door for something fun to see-do-watch, and things are changing all the time: the people, the restaurants, the shows. I have been to the Metropolitan Museum at least 50 times and there is always something new to see there. At my job, I spend most of my time with students and volunteers, and they change over quite a bit each semester. I had my first student from Ivory Coast last semester, so a whole new country and culture to learn about. And there are always those students who make you have to re-think how you are explaining or teaching something, or who point out some weird part of English that sets me to researching. It's a bit liking cruising (and maybe why I like that so much) where you have a home base but every day you are out exploring someplace different and learning new things. I'm not -- and because of the nature of what I teach, can't be really -- one of those teachers whose syllabus hasn't changed in 20 years.

Therefore, I like my home(s) to be restful and comfortable. Restful, to me, encompasses the visual aesthetics of a space. I don't feel the need to redecorate or move furniture unless I have to: at most, I might tweak. My rooms speak to me about how they want to be, and I oblige. :) We don't have many family heirlooms, and if we did, who would I leave them to, anyway? The older I get, the less emotionally invested I am in stuff. It began with 9/11 and has only intensified as I've aged.

Anita, you might enjoy the book I'm reading now: Essentialism, by Greg McKeown. I got it from the library. You know how sometimes you find just the right book at the right time? Like me, you might also enjoy his closet metaphors.

As for being on the board at the lake: It's really more about lake maintenance and management than following rules about paint colors and trash day. We have a clubhouse, beach, boat launch, dam, parklands (land owned and maintained by the POA) and a two-tiered membership that all have to be self-managed. It means dealing with the township, NJDEP, health department, local police and fire, engineers, lawyers... on and on.

Here is my personal revelation for the week. I have been very upset with myself and angry over having lost so much weight four years ago and gained it all back. But, I realized that this summer is also the 4th year anniversary of when both my parents became so sick and I had to be so involved with their care. It's been hard on my health, but not nearly as bad as it would have been if I hadn't started it in such good shape. So, I'm thankful I lost the weight when I needed to, and I've forgiven myself for gaining it back. The help I'm getting with my wacked out endocrine system is starting to show hopeful results, so I've finally been able to lose two pounds and sleep through the night. I feel good about my ability to get back on track.

And finally, some advice. It is not enough to think you are in menopause. Get your hormones tested regularly and know for sure what's going on. My primary care doctor was not at all helpful but I was persistent in finding someone to help me.

Wonderful day on the ocean & walking our beach (where we spent our honeymoon). We actually saw whales! Seals & a sturgeon. I tried to get a picture but not sure how it came out. Here’s a picture of my lunch tho! 15becc82967ff3c60a3485690dee581f.jpgfbbacd0a93fc7a130d694f01dc379bf7.jpg with my happy guy. We contributed greatly to the local economy today ! Melody

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not a big seafood eater, but man, Melody, those scallops.... Yum.

So, I did the big closet review this week, and I'm not buying anything new. If I wore a different top every day, I could make it through the semester with no repeats, depending on the weather. September can be summer-warm, so I have tanks for commuting with a sweater for in the office. Short sleeved tops for mid-range temps. Long sleeved tops for November/December. I always have a sweater at work because the range between my office and my classroom can be quite wide. I have plenty of pants that fit. Next week I will do a shoe inventory since I've been living in sandals all summer and can't even remember my winter shoes. :D

We have a three-day trip to Miami in late September and I plan on taking a handful of summer favorites and one nice outfit for dinner out. I am happy we are not staying in the conference hotel because I won't have to worry about running into DH's colleagues and being self-conscious about whether I'm dressed appropriately. I plan to Zumba and Citibike while I'm there, so my day wear will be mostly active wear. Sally, you are spot-on about those comfy clothes for relaxing in.

My Africa shopping list is down to pants and a fleece. I am not going to fit into my convertible pants by then. My fleece has to be a color I would not normally buy for such an item, so I'm bargain hunting:

Vegas gold:

https://www.shirtspace.com/product/3618?variant_id=117643&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo4KmhbKa3QIVxksNCh2OIwP0EAQYASABEgJM6_D_BwE

Oatmeal:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tri-Mountain-Women-s-Tailored-Fit-Perfect-Fleece-Jacket/418457216?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=332&adid=22222222227095005803&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=215317140888&wl4=pla-348170882808&wl5=9004331&wl6=&wl7=9004069&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=111838736&wl11=online&wl12=418457216&wl13=&veh=sem

Dill:

https://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/8-Ounce-Womens-Dill-Full-Zip-Fleece-Jacket/12138028/product.html?option=19481142&recset=2856c29e-008f-4251-b47e-e7e727b7a596&refccid=O6ESMFHGF3T3JGSNYV43U6NM74&searchidx=0&recalg=63&recidx=0

I bought the last one because it has zippered pockets. I don't like the elastic cuffs, though. I may just cut the elastic out.

Edited by MJC
What's with the added line spacing?

Melody, all that food looks so good! I like seafood but I'm inland quite a ways so selection is limited and expensive. When we travel, I often migrate to seafood. My husband doesn't eat seafood so always need to find places that have a variety on the menu.

I hope you are having a wonderful, relaxing vacation, Melody. You two deserve some relaxation and fun. I am always interested in finding out where people stay, where they go to eat.

The quilt and curtains have arrived. I was very happy to see how nice and peaceful the two work together. Some pictures of the curtains showed the blue looking a little bit warm, but it was referred to as smoke blue so I was hoping it was more gray blue. They go well with the current color, but the paint definitely needs to be redone. I will post some pictures shortly to give you an idea.

I spent a little time in the basement getting reacquainted with paintings that my husband's mom did. I see some options for sure. I was thinking just two things on the walls. I ordered something for the big wall, and will use one of my MIL's paintings about the bed. All the occasional tables we have already. So I guess I'll firm up the paint choice next. It's rare that my husband will work both a Saturday and Sunday but that will be happening in a few weeks so that will probably be my painting weekend. It will keep me busy, but it's hardly ideal for my husband to work 12 days straight. He only does that once in a while.

Nice Laurie. Pretty curtains. You know...back in the day, whatsherbucket on Divine Design...oh Candice Olson would just leave the curtains long, even with a small window...

Which paint do you like? From the picture, I like the one on the right better than the one on the left...

Oh my gosh, you're bringing back memories! Divine Design! I miss those sort of shows. Sometimes I love what I saw, and sometimes not, but they always got you thinking. I watched Room by Room the most.

Color wise, if you look at the very first picture, I like the color on the top right. It's a slightly lighter color than what is on the wall now, and leans more towards gray than the current color.

One of my dilemmas is that my husband really likes a very similar color for the den. I'm sure this is a little odd, but I don't want to paint it the same color. I've been thrown off by the touches of navy and red throughout the room, but now that I have samples, I am thinking more of a gray. But I know we will figure it out! That will likely happen in the later fall or winter. I really need to paint in daylight it seems, or I miss spots. Both rooms need the ceilings and trim painted as well.

A friend of a friend was going to go to the Fort Myers area, and said it was super expensive and they ended up staying in Cape Coral instead. I have been wondering about where we will end up with our vacation, and was thinking about how it can be neat to stay in area close to where you want to visit instead of in the thick of things. I guess he rented a house with a pool and they loved it.

My husband does all the driving, and he is fine with things like that. I have this very unnatural fear of when we drive in areas I'm not familiar with, especially at night. I have no idea where the phobia came from, but it is there.

Margaret, when do you leave for Africa again?

Spending a few days in Miami sounds fun.

I was thinking, Margaret, how you have the lake house and then your apartment, and how different the settings are, and likely the decor and feel as well. Sometimes, when we watch shows, I find myself saying it would be great to have a summer home in Cape Cod, and then a lodge in the Adirondacks, and a historical home in Skaneateles or someplace like that. My interests really do vary a lot. I think it's a mood thing. A house for every mood!

So, my 35th anniversary was this past Thursday at work. I told them I didn't want any fussing, but that I was proud and happy and wanted some nice cookies in the kitchen for everyone.

I got the cookies...and a presentation and heartfelt speech from the president in front of the entire staff. I didn't realize that I would also receive a gift. It was a very generous gift card to a restaurant called The Inn Between, not too far from us. I have never been there, but my husband and I talk about going there all the time, so we are very excited.

Anita, you noticed that odd ball short little window - is that the one where you would leave the curtains long? I thought about it, but the window is just so weird. I have often thought that we could do without it, but it brings in a great breeze and some extra light. The big window faces east, and there are a lot of trees across the street. It gets a filtered morning sun so the extra light from the side is nice.

I was thinking not long ago about what dictates our choices in decor. Sometimes it's need or function. Most of the time it is need, function, and that guilt you sometimes feel about an item. "it's still in good shape, we'll keep that." "it was Aunt Bessie's, so we can't give that away." You get the idea.

I was thinking about my emotional needs with the room, and about using it as therapy. Since I like doing these things, I wanted to feel happy about the choices. It is literally about half old favorites, and half new. The only rule I have is with the old stuff - no guilt. It has to be a favorite, something I want to have out. I have a nice shelf in the room, and if I choose to put that up in place of the large picture, I can a few of my decanters on there. I don't use them, but when I see them, I think back to the day when people always put their liquor in these, and how both my parents and my husband's had these.

Wouldn't that be odd though. I guess I should keep them in the kitchen! More pictures coming...

Anita, has your son narrowed down his college choices yet?

Sally, when do you leave for your next Cuba cruise?

Here I have been babbling on about a guest room and it must be so boring. But I love to share with all of you, and get your input.

Yes’m, that odd ball window is the one I was referring to. Candice Olson would leave long curtains around windows like that all the time. She usually made rooms that I liked a lot. I enjoyed her show a lot.

One time, I remember that she put a mirror under the window. The mirror was the same width as the window IIRC so it just did a little something something that was nice when the curtains were open, and of course would be covered when the curtains were closed. It worked in the room she did.

She always hung curtains a bit to the outside of windows too so that when the curtains are opened, they don’t cover as much window edge.