All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Nutty Bars![emoji173]! Those were always a necessity of road trips.

I admit, I have never had to plan for something like this. We get snowstorms...lots of them. But even with a foot of snow, chances are, we are going to work.

We do try to make sure the pantry is stocked and then we will make something good in the crockpot for dinner.

I'm not in an area that floods, but there are areas nearby that do.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

Funny Laurie...I have mostly lived in places susceptible to natural disasters. I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area when the big earthquake hit 1989? when the upper freeway collapsed...mom was actually driving when it hit...she saw the earth roll. I was in my chorus directors office with floor to ceiling bookcases full of music shaking and scattering all over. We didn’t lose power though...

We got 30+ inches of snow in Colorado the weekend we were moving down the street to a different duplex...and like you say...the plows are at work and life goes on.

Tornados in Kansas (luckily the one time the sirens went off the tornado veered away from us)...but also major thunderstorms, we always had to be prepared to lose power, which was a frequent enough occurrence. Same in Fort Worth but not as much. Houston...oh and we had what they called Snowmaggedon in Georgia...or Snow Jam. Oh and a tornado that set down a couple miles away...

IDK...I’ve gotten used to the idea of emergency preparedness and knowing what to do to deal with life without power. The one good thing about hurricanes is that you get plenty of notice of impending disaster...time to prepare. I really appreciate that...in Kansas and on the plains, there’s a whole season where you just have to keep things stocked and ready.

Margaret, I filled up yesterday and will top off after picking DH up at the airport tomorrow. Definitely need to have a full tank...and cash. During Ike, there were some businesses that opened but you had to have cash because cards don’t work without electricity. Most stores have gotten rid of those old cards wipers with the duplicate copies. Everyone remember those? It was such an improvement when they changed the paper and didn’t have to have the carbons in between the colored papers. Ah...the analog days...:')

Most stores have gotten rid of those old cards wipers with the duplicate copies. Everyone remember those? It was such an improvement when they changed the paper and didn’t have to have the carbons in between the colored papers. Ah...the analog days...:')

:')I remember those! And the clerk looking through a book to make sure the card number was good. We're showing our age;)

It's been raining every day for a week. We're going to get an ok weekend and then it's supposed to rain every day next week too. I can't take it. How do people live in places where it's like this all the time? I'm going stir-crazy. Most of the doors in both our house and apartment won't close all the way from expansion. :(

I’ve had family who lived in Washington State...many still do. My Aunt loved it because she is an artist. She draws...amazing ink drawings, has illustrated children’s books among other pursuits. Anyway, she thought the weather was very conducive for doing her work and other more art related projects. The rain in the NW is different...it’s soothing in a way. It’s often soft...not the pounding rain. The thing that always would get to me in Texas was the lack of sunlight...the overcast days get old quickly.

DH is home now so all is right with the world. Florence is an independent woman and no one can seem to predict what she will do long term, she seems to change her mind on a whim and that pattern is the only pattern that is predictable...that she will go where she feels like going when she feels like it. I saw one report saying we could get as little as 0.85” of rain and another saying up to 10 inches.

Whatever. We’re all ready now. I’ll probably go out again tomorrow for ice...maybe a few more veggies.

Most problematic right now is the pressure. Both DS and are dealing with headaches. I remember this from Ike...the barometric pressure is rough...my sinuses are painful and my head is in a vice.

Thanks all, I felt good in this dress; yes Margaret, very easy to wear. Laurie, it is definitely an earthy blue. & it’s a size 10!!!

The event director asked where I bought the dress as it is the exact color that the Nonantum Resort uses for their “host” color as it matches the water of the Kennebunk River. She wanted to order them for her events staff.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't know if I'd wear the plaid dress, but I definitely loved it! The lace dress is deceiving me...it looks like it would be loose, but it really seems to have a shape to it. I like that it doesn't appear to be overly fitted so it looks really nice yet it seems comfortable too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

Melody , You look great in that dress . It really suits you .

Margaret , I noticed that lace dress in garnet hill ans thought it was gorgeous .

While you all droll over fall clothes I am still and will be in for months summer clothes .Fall is the one season I miss . I miss winter for one snowfall and I really do not miss spring at all.

I’ll be taking this dress on our Hawaii cruise because no one took a picture of us together. I do like it, a lot (I could even dance in it, my grand nieces (all 10 of them) kept dragging me & their grandmother out on the floor, I had a blast. Marilou & I taught them all the stroll [emoji23][emoji23]) I normally hate dresses on me, but this is very comfy & moves well.

I don’t think we’ll get fall here, it’s been over 90 close to 100 since we got home & no break in sight. I do love fall & I bought several great sweatshirts & hoodies back east that I’m dying to wear! Melody

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

SO...it's like I've been in a bubble with the storm raging all around me and we basically got a bunch of nothing. In my county, there were some power outages but we were unaffected. I feel somewhat guilty talking about classes canceled being a bit like a staycation for the family...DH had to work as he always does, but DS and I could do whatever we wanted. I had stocked us up on easy food and gotten all the laundry done so there really wasn't much of anything that needed to get done.

We finally got out of the apartment today...the sun is finally breaking through the clouds. It's very weird to see the fast moving clouds now traveling so quickly in the opposite direction...I swear our location was the middle of a boomerang type travel path...with everything happening AROUND us and not really to us.

We had the bathtub filled with water and about 21 gallons of water in other vessels in the master shower...9 gallons of drinking water...tons of easy food...so we were all prepared for nothing.

The storm is STILL raining. The rivers of the state are ALL flooded and there will be more flooding as the rain continues to be drawn up by the tropical depression and as the mountains get the rain and then the rain water flows back down toward the sea. They are projecting dealing with the flooding for another week or two. Communities are completely cut off by flooding...it is absolutely awful what has happened and here I sit with life going on as if nothing had happened...which is the truth for me, as nothing really happened here.

There's a bit of guilt in that, if you can understand...though I know that it could have so easily gone a different way.

Anyway...DS went back to school today...I was planning to post today even before seeing your posts. Thanks for all the prayers and well wishing towards me! We'll see how we are affected by the rain from the mountains...but I don't live close to any rivers so...the affects may show more in availability of things depending on road conditions and supply chains, I suppose.

So glad to hear you & yours are ok Anita! I think all of us pushing safe thoughts toward you might’ve caused the “bubble” [emoji23]. Whatever, glad it was a nonevent for you & hope it continues to be that way

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is so much better to be prepared and have nothing happen than the other way around, Anita. I'm so glad you and your family are safe.

I have heard a lot about the heavy rain they are expecting you to have. That is so sad for the people already experiencing flooding and can be a danger to other areas as well. We are even expected to get some heavy rain from Florence with the potential for flash flooding. I am very fortunate to not be in an area that floods.

Melody, what you said about the possibility of not getting a full autumn where you live was interesting. The week before last, we had a heat advisory on Wednesday, and that Friday, we were in the low 40s overnight! It got warm again though.

You are right - JJill has a lot of nice fall colors. The clothes are a bit unconstructed for my tastes though. We have a store at the mall, so I think I should check them out in person. They had some nice warm olive green too.

So, that Chadwicks order! I ended up ordering two long sleeved ribbed sweaters in chocolate brown and a warm ivory. Both of those were good. I found an olive blazer that was well made and fit well.

I ended up ordering the jacket with the Peter Pan collar in the rust like color. Fortunately, it does not have that stiff collar feel. It is actually a very good jacket that I am keeping. I kind of wish I got the purple one because I totally would have worn it with brown. But I will probably get more use out of this spice like color.

The pants I didn't do great with. They are okay, and I'm debating what I want to do. When pants are described as a curvy fit, that is usually an issue for me. I either get a muffin top or they fit baggy in the hips. These weren't described as curvy, but they fit that way. I'm going to try them on again to decide.

All items were well made. There were a couple of shells that were really awful for me. That is one thing in the JJill collection the I am interested in, but I'm not keen on the price.

Once again, it so so good to hear from you, Anita!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk