Changing from non-refundable to refundable, then canceling

vjmatty

I have a couple of mint class non-refundable tickets with Jet Blue. If I change them to refundable fare tickets at the same price, not caring about date, cabin or whatever because I will be canceling, is there any reason I wouldn't get a full refund? I would get a statement credit for the change fee from my credit card company so that fee wouldn't matter.

Hmmmm...When it comes to airlines, I would think "non-refundable" would also mean "non-changeable" (at least not for a fee). The last time I had a non-refundable Jetblue ticket that I did have to cancel, I got a credit less $50. Do they still do that?

I did try the help section.....strangely, it doesn't differentiate between non-refundable and refundable, which they have on all four categories of tickets. In other words, when you book a flight, they have Blue, Blue Plus, Blue Flex and Mint, all four types, in both refundable and non-refundable categories.

Looks like a phone call is definitely in order.....thanks!

I have a couple of mint class non-refundable tickets with Jet Blue. If I change them to refundable fare tickets at the same price, not caring about date, cabin or whatever because I will be canceling, is there any reason I wouldn't get a full refund?
Even without looking at B6's specific fare rules, there is one good reason that I can immediately think of: If in that situation you could get a full refund of everything you paid, then everyone buying a non-refundable ticket would have an easy route to a full refund - which would effectively negate the non-refundability condition of the original ticket. What would stop everyone from going down this route whenever they wanted a refund of a non-refundable ticket? Do you think the airline would really leave a loophole that size in its fare rules?

The usual provision in fare rules is that the original amount (ie the amount paid for the original non-refundable ticket) will always remain non-refundable, even if you change to a fare which is normally refundable.

Even without looking at B6's specific fare rules, there is one good reason that I can immediately think of: If in that situation you could get a full refund of everything you paid, then everyone buying a non-refundable ticket would have an easy route to a full refund - which would effectively negate the non-refundability condition of the original ticket. What would stop everyone from going down this route whenever they wanted a refund of a non-refundable ticket? Do you think the airline would really leave a loophole that size in its fare rules?

The usual provision in fare rules is that the original amount (ie the amount paid for the original non-refundable ticket) will always remain non-refundable, even if you change to a fare which is normally refundable.

Well actually no, it would not be a full refund..... there would be a change fee to switch to the refundable ticket so they still get their pound of flesh, making it not really a loophole. I am in a rare situation where I get $200 worth of fee credits per year as a credit card benefit, so for me it might have been worth it.

As it turns out I am no longer considering canceling my flight so I didn't end up calling as the issue is now moot.

Well actually no, it would not be a full refund..... there would be a change fee to switch to the refundable ticket so they still get their pound of flesh, making it not really a loophole.
Even analysed like that, it's still a loophole. It means that a "non-refundable" ticket would actually be a ticket that is "fully refundable less the change fee". That makes no sense.

When the airline says non-refundable, it means non-refundable. Anything that makes it refundable less then change fee is no less a loophole. That's why you could not hope to make this trick work, and that's why fare rules are typically written the way that they are.

As I said, I am not interested in canceling my flight. The question is moot.
Sorry, sloppy language on my part.

What I should have said was:

Even analysed like that, it's still a loophole. It means that a "non-refundable" ticket would actually be a ticket that is "fully refundable less the change fee". That makes no sense.

When the airline says non-refundable, it means non-refundable. Anything that makes it refundable less then change fee is no less a loophole. That's why one could not hope to make this trick work, and that's why fare rules are typically written the way that they are.

This may help anyone later who has the same question about whether a non-refundable fare can be turned into a refundable fare by this means.

Sorry, sloppy language on my part.

No, my bad... I should've realized you meant the general "you" rather than me personally. That's what I get for multitasking while on CC! :o

Thanks for the explanation, you're right it may help others.