Best Time to Board Question (NCL in particular)

mengel246

Hello!

We are going on our first cruise and will be with our 3 and 5 year old children. We are going on a NCL Getaway out of Miami in April. Any suggestions on the best boarding time to choose so avoid long lines, as we will have the children which adds an extra layer of stress and chaos? I read first time slot but that isn't available. The next one that's available is a 10 am one and it goes until 2 I believe.

Thanks in advance!

Your ship sails at 4 pm, you need to be checked in by 2 pm at the latest. The shortest lines will be around 1 pm, cabins should be open by that time, as well as the lunch crowd will be done and over. With two kids it seems much less of a hassle to be able to go to your cabin and drop off your carryon, get a quick lunch and head for your muster drill. happy cruising

If you are not in a Haven suite, I agree that after 1pm would be best with the children in tow. Cabins generally are not ready until 1:15 or 1:30pm and the restaurants (not including the buffet) open at 1:30. You may find it easier to eat lunch in the MDR instead of in the buffet on the first day. I think a leisurely breakfast at your hotel before the cruise would be best for everyone.

Hi there! I went on Norwegian Escape from Miami. I boarded around 1pm and had no troubles at all, and my ship sailed at 4 (which means you have to be boarded by 2). There was a small line, but it went fairly quickly. Remember, you most often have to do a mandatory life boat drill (which isn't long) so the kids might not be able to take a nap (which I learnt the hard way :p).

I was on the Getaway in the last month and I would either get there early- like 10AM with snacks for the kids. You will be on the ship and eating around 12:00. It is standing room only in the waiting area if you arrive after 11. The waiting area is quite undersized for the size of the Getaway.

Go to the MDR (Savor or Taste) for lunch even if they steer you to the buffet, unless you really want to eat there. Walk around the ship to show the kids the pool, etc. You could pack your swim suits in your carryon and use the pool until your rooms are ready- between 1:30 and 2:00.

Thank you both for these answers! Changed the check in time to 1 pm. Getting very excited for our first cruise and the unknown and trying to eliminate all the stress and anxiety I have in advance!

The other thing you should know is that you will be going through a metal detector at the pier, and with little ones in tow, it is best to plan ahead - think no coins in pocket, no big metal jewelry or belt buckles. Fortunately, you won't have to take off your shoes. But thought this information would be helpful for planning purposes.

The boarding times really mean nothing. You get your boarding group number based on the time of your arrival. I think they just try to get folks to arrive later just because the website gives you a very narrow choice.

We boarded Norwegian Gem on Feb. 21 in New York. We arrived at about 11:00 and were handed a boarding group card numbered 35 - apparently just at random because I saw the people just behind us get one numbered 20. I returned to the person handing them out and asked for a lower one - she gave me the next one in her deck: a 16. When I was checking in, I asked the clerk if we could get a lower one, she handed me a 6. The whole exercise was obviously based on random distribution - but boarding was called by lowest numbers first.

We were among the earliest to board - at about 11:45. This was just the first of a number of stupid things pulled by NCL on that sailing: my sixth with them - and pretty certainly my last --- they have really gone down hill.

I believe you (I know you because we once sailed together on the Mariner) but the boarding number thing wasn't random. We arrived at 10 AM and got a #3 and the numbers became progressively higher. The port of New York, just like their airports must have "special" people working at them..(read: We could care less about customer service)