Raising prices again-This time SDP

leeker13

Its also frustrating because on top of the price increase they have limited the number of apps. and deserts one can order.

There's no mention of this in the current Terms and Conditions.

Are you confusing this with what I believe to be a limitation on the Latitude's Platinum perk (1 appetizer, 1 dessert)?

Wonder why everyone feels like they should notify you before they raise prices. Does your gas station advise you when the prices are going up? Does your grocery store tell you when prices are going up? What notice did Disneyland/Disneyworld give when they raised their prices?

Which of those is a cruise ship?

Apples to Artichokes.

Here are the package prices

3 day 81.42

4 99.12

5 116.82

6 138.52

7 152.22 = 180.00 with grat =$26 pp per day.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 18% Grats.

I pulled this pricing off my reservation.

Edited by FranknBeans

There's no mention of this in the current Terms and Conditions.

Are you confusing this with what I believe to be a limitation on the Latitude's Platinum perk (1 appetizer, 1 dessert)?

Technically, this is what NCL reps are saying on the phone. It appears there is more leeway on the ships, probably because so many have bought so many versions of the SDP it is hard to differentiate. At some point in time, I expect they will enforce the policy on everyone, once the majority of the pre-sold and free offers have been used up. Still, the offers continue, so ....

Here are the package prices

3 day 81.42

4 99.12

5 116.82

6 138.52

7 152.22 = 180.00 with grat =$26 pp per day.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 18% Grats.

You are double counting the gratuities there. The prices you quote already include them (69+18% is 81.42 for example).

Wonder why everyone feels like they should notify you before they raise prices. Does your gas station advise you when the prices are going up?

If I had booked an event at the gas station and paid a deposit under a specific set of terms and conditions I would absolutely expect the gas station to notify me of any changes in costs or conditions. I don't think that's too unreasonable and is good business practice.

I have a $50 pp credit for dining. It was a promotion for booking an inisde cabin last year. I wanted to prepay for a 4-day SDP back then, but I cannot apply the $50 credit to a pre-paid SDP. I have to purchase the SDP on the ship to apply the $50 pp room credit. Now that credit has effectively been reduced to $40 overnight. Very unfair.

I feel your pain on this one. We also got the credit and I thought I'd buy the SDP onboard (even started a thread about it months ago) and now it's not even close to covering the cost of even a 3 day SDP. Then again, when we booked the cruise, my family of five could have dined in Le Bistro for $100. Now it's a la carte + 18% and there's no way we'd get out of there for even close to the $100. I feel like that credit has been significantly de-valued.

Now, I think all these increases have just saved me money. Because now I'm not buying the SDP and I'm not taking the family to specialty restaurants. I'll just be ordering bottles of wine for take out from the specialty restaurants (someone has previously reported that the specialty dining credit covers alcohol purchased in the restaurant).

Technically, this is what NCL reps are saying on the phone.

If I wanted to know what the official NCL terms are regarding something like that then the NCL phone reps are just about the last people I would ask.

The written terms and what happens in reality are more likely to give you the facts, both of which suggest that multiple apps and deserts are included.

However, the poster above stated that it was changing. We will see whether they have anything to back that up.

If I had booked an event at the gas station and paid a deposit under a specific set of terms and conditions I would absolutely expect the gas station to notify me of any changes in costs or conditions. I don't think that's too unreasonable and is good business practice.
You booked a cruise and you got that for the price you were quoted. The terms and conditions of your contract does not included anything other than transportation and ordinary vessel food:

The fare paid by the Guest for this ticket includes transportation on the vessel named herein, full board, and ordinary vessel food, but does not include beer, wine, spirits, sodas or mineral waters, nor expenses incurred for other incidental or personal services/purchases.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I was looking at pricing then went to terms and conditions and saw this:

ARE GRATUITIES INCLUDED IN THE SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE PURCHASE PRICE?

No, an 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be automatically added to the cost of your package. [/b]

In response to "collectingcoke" regarding ships sailing full. Ships are sailing full but they've had to start discounting in order to fill them. My 2/13/2016 Escape sailing had a balcony guarantee for $799 including the SDP and UBP. 3 weeks before sailing. This was a peak sailing week. These amenities were not suppose to be available if booked less than 30 days before sailing. I paid much more than that for my oceanview when I booked last February and it only included the UBP. 3/12/2016 Escape, same pricing. Also a Spring break week,so they've had to discount to fill the ships. Who would have thought that with all the hype for the new ship that they would have to discount in order to fill it. I feel it's because of all the changes being made and all the extra charges. JMHO, but I also think many last minute deals will be available if you have flexibility.

Wonder why everyone feels like they should notify you before they raise prices. Does your gas station advise you when the prices are going up? Does your grocery store tell you when prices are going up? What notice did Disneyland/Disneyworld give when they raised their prices?

Thank God someone actually realizes this besides me. How foolish is that debate that they did it without warning. That basically boils down to "I have no valid reason to be upset so I'll just go with they didn't warn me". :rolleyes:

Which of those is a cruise ship?

Apples to Artichokes.

LOL there are different rules of economics for cruise ships. Oh well some peopel just have to find soem reason to choose to be upset! :confused:

If you had booked and paid for the event the changes we are discussing would have zero impact on you. Just liek if you had booked the SDP this is not relevant.

I feel your pain on this one. We also got the credit and I thought I'd buy the SDP onboard (even started a thread about it months ago) and now it's not even close to covering the cost of even a 3 day SDP. Then again, when we booked the cruise, my family of five could have dined in Le Bistro for $100. Now it's a la carte + 18% and there's no way we'd get out of there for even close to the $100. I feel like that credit has been significantly de-valued.

Now, I think all these increases have just saved me money. Because now I'm not buying the SDP and I'm not taking the family to specialty restaurants. I'll just be ordering bottles of wine for take out from the specialty restaurants (someone has previously reported that the specialty dining credit covers alcohol purchased in the restaurant).

If that is tru about wine it would be great I am also stack with the 50$ promo

I think it's unfair for those of us who are past final payment and can't cancel. With all those changes I don't feel as exited as I was before . Now with each day I login into myncl I dread the changes. And yes I know I can pre book but why would I have to .

I hate to break everyone's hearts but NCL isn't the only cruise line to do this. Disney's prices went up at least 8% (someone can correct me, I think it was significantly more, I seem to remember it was higher than inflation) and they raised prices on the nursery, speciality dining, and their alcohol packages... which is exactly why my family decided to try NCL. It just shows the demand for cruising is going up, and with it, all cruise lines feel they can charge more for the same product.

Prices will always change with supply and demand. Cruise lines have obviously done a great of marketing. More people want to cruise now than ever before. You can believe that if NCL was having problems filling ships, they wouldn't be raising prices. Del Rio isn't popular. But, it's not because he doesn't understand economics. Every line is taking advantage, using different approaches, to the same end. More profit. NCL raises the price of perks they're giving away. They don't really expect anyone to buy them. They get more money for the %18 they charge on it. Then they can claim you're getting more off your cruise price, because it's more expensive.

As far as OBC not being worth what you thought. There's no argument there. Did you ever buy a gift card? Did any of those stores or restaurants promise not raise prices until after you used your card. NO!

It clearly said "Limited Time" offer when I purchased the 3 Meal SDP in January. I'm not cruising until July but decided to buy it early since it clearly said "Limited Time". Having cruised NCL before I was well aware what that meant....prices were going to go up. If missed out on the offer, then I can only blame myself not NCL.

It clearly said "Limited Time" offer when I purchased the 3 Meal SDP in January. I'm not cruising until July but decided to buy it early since it clearly said "Limited Time". Having cruised NCL before I was well aware what that meant....prices were going to go up. If missed out on the offer, then I can only blame myself not NCL.
I do the same thing; I purchase my choice items as soon as I book my cruise.

It has said that since the packages were first released a few years ago.

However, your thinking was correct. I bought our package over the weekend as bookings opened up on Monday. I should have considered the chance of the price rising and bought it before, along with for our Augist cruise. Not doing so has cost me $50.

:D Makes me glad I booked and prepaid my gratuities on my upcoming cruise over a year ago..

Made out like a banshee with all these updated increases..

Still have the old UDP package and OBC on my Epic cruise in less than two weeks...

Edited by warriorking