Port Everglades Luggage Valet Questions

SeasideMemories

We are cruising out of Port Everglades for the first time on Celebrity Silhouette this December and some of the posts I've read about disembark here have me a wee bit worried! We are considering using Celebity's Luggage Valet service and had a few questions about how it works.

We will be flying Southwest and will pay the extra for Early Bird check-in so seems Celebrity checking us in really doesn't buy us anything. The value there would be in receiving our boarding passes all printed out and being able to self disembark without worring about hauling luggage. Do you wait somewhere in particular and do they announce luggage valet as a group when you are able to leave the ship or do you leave with the self disembark group?

When we leave the ship it sounds like there is a big line to get your bags and then one for Customs. Would we be able to bypass the line for baggage collection since we have none and just get in line for customs? Or is it all one gigantic line regardless of if you have bags or not?

When we get to the (FLL) airport I would assume we would not need to stand in line to check- in with the airline and since we have boarding passes in hand and have nothing to check, could go directly to the TSA security line. Does that sound right? I thought I read something saying that you can't get a boarding pass until so many hours before your flight and therefore can't go through security but if we already have the boarding passes we should be able to go through when we get there regardless of flight time, correct?

Sorry for so many questions but sounds as though Port Everglades can be a bit crazy on debarkation day. Hoping this may be one option to maybe make things go a little smoother and trying to figure out what this service will actually save us.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

You get your boarding pass and claim checks that morning (ours was under our door). You put out your bags and they simply arrive at your destination. You still go thru customs and immigration. The catch all is your flight cannot be before 12:30 and you do not know if they get the required 20 people until the last day of your cruise. A also have been told that if you have already checked in via an early bird check in then you can not use luggage valet as they check the bags and boarding pass in one operation and if you are already checked in you cannot then add bags.

There is a big warehouse where bags are organized by section number - all lines seem to do it the same way. The baggage claim is fast and easy. Immigration not always so. Only 2 groups for immigration. On if you have global entry and another for everyone else. If using luggage valet you just go to security.

It is wonderful to not deal with the bag at the airport or checking in at the airport.

Edited by az_tchr

Luggage Valet and South West Early Bird Boarding are not mutually exclusive. When you have paid for early bird with SW it means that SW has checked you in prior to other flyers without early bird. When you, or Celebrity, print your boarding pass has no bearing on your boarding position.

If you use luggage valet you have no bags to pick up but the last time we disembarked in FLL it was one line but you can get in line w/o having to look for your bags. You can disembark as you wish.

You are correct in saying that you can only get a boarding pass 24 hours before your flight, but once you get to the airport you just head to TSA. I don't know if they check boarding passes and deny you entry to the air side terminal based on time of flight.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

Luggage Valet and South West Early Bird Boarding are not mutually exclusive... .

I agree, and we use Early Bird even with Luggage Valet, but you have no idea when the cruise line will actually check you in. It may be hours after the 24-hour limit.

Take a deep breath and relax. We've flown into and our of FLL 10 times. It's easy, it's close, we have never had a problem. Really. Relax about this. It's just luggage and just an airport, one that is within sight of the ship. 10 minute drive and a lot of that is just getting in the airport property.

We fly Southwest too but we usually try for a 10:15-ish flight. We have had later flights and used the valet service and it was great. We put our check through luggage (the big cases and golf clubs) out the night before and don't see it again till the next afternoon at the baggage claim in New Orleans.

The way WE do FLL generally is we check in on line at the 24 hour mark, using our internet minutes. It doesn't have to be printed; as you know the routine for Southwest.

And quite often we do self-disembarkation. They will give you a time and location to meet. Disregard that time. Seriously, disregard it. If it's 7:30 a.m. go down with your carry on luggage at 6:45 at the latest. Your luggage will be your place in line and you can go get a muffin or something. Then you just walk off and go through customs and out the door to grab a taxi (no need to do a shuttle or pre-arranged van or bus). If you decide to take all your luggage and not use the valet, you have to handle it all yourself. It's what we do - we typically have a large case each and a set of golf clubs and one or two carry ons each and we stack it and roll it and just go.

With this plan and no hiccups at customs, we're generally at FLL airport about 8:15 or even earlier.

But don't sweat it. You'll hear horror stories. You might have to wait in a bit of a line if you're carrying all your luggage, but it's not bad. By self-disembarking at least you'll be among the first handful off the ship.

At the airport you will not have to check your luggage if you did valet, unless you check your carry ons. Head to security. If you're REALLY smart --- and there's time ---- pay the $85.00 and get TSA-Pre Screen so you go in the short line and keep your shoes on and your computer and zip lock of liquids inside. Best money ever spent for 5 years of not having to wait in long security lines! We plan to have the TSA-PRE on our tickets forever or as long as it's a thing. When you see a line of a thousand people at a busy airport shuffling along waiting to go through security and you pass them by and get in a line of about 6 people and keep your shoes on, etc. ----- that's priceless!

We just got off the Constellation yesterday and used Luggage Valet for the first time. We were also on SW and had already purchased early bird.

Both were totally worth it. Our boarding passes came in an envelope the night before (A24 and A25!) along with the instruction that we could leave the ship any time with any group.

We walked off at 7:45 with the people carrying their own bags. The folks giving directions in the terminal kept asking us "do you have all your bags", we said yep, Luggage Valet and they nodded.

We were in the cab by a little after 8 and through security and in line at Starbucks by 8:30. We got lucky and scored TSA Pre-Check but still it was good to get on FLL's free WIFI and catch up before the flight.

Bags were in the carousel in KC ten minutes after we got off the plane. I'll use it again, no question.

... When we leave the ship it sounds like there is a big line to get your bags and then one for Customs. Would we be able to bypass the line for baggage collection since we have none and just get in line for customs? Or is it all one gigantic line regardless of if you have bags or not?....

We bypass bag collection and go right to the customs line.

Thanks to all who responded! I am so grateful for all of the knowledge to be found on CC. If not for this site we would have never know about the Agriculture inspection in San Juan and would have stood in the very long airline check-in line only to be turned back to the AG inspection line and then stand back in line again for check-in as happened to quite a few people!

Sounds like we can use the luggage valet service with SW early bird which is what I was hoping! Now have to cross fingers enough people sign up but sounds like even self disembark with just one bag each and carryon would be managable.

Lol, ClaudiaB. I do tend to get caught up in the planning and have to remind own myself to breathe at times! ;) I thought about TSA pre-check because for some reason when we changed to an earlier flight at the airport in San Juan last year the boarding passes they gave us were marked as pre-check and it was pretty sweet! I didn't think we travel enough yet to justify the cost but didn't know it was good for 5 years! That might be worth checking into!

Seaside ----- We were both getting randomly selected for TSA-PRE for a few flights so we kind of got used to it. Then I didn't have it once. Husband did and I didn't. Long line. Yuk.

The week we got back we signed ourselves up for the prescreen.

Are you breathing deeply yet?

Having used the Ships valet service, I strongly recommend it. Never had a problem on the dozen or so flights. Could do walk off the ship service and by-pass crowds and lines. Customs very easy- and you aren't charged if you luggage is over the 50lb limit.

When you arrive at the airport you also save time. $20 pp well spent!

I believe that if you fly out of ft Lauderdale, you flight must be departing 12 noon or later.

Enjoy your cruise.

I guess I have one more question for anyone who has done luggage valet recently. From what I have read the earliest flight time out of FLL is either 11:30 or 12. Does anyone know for sure which it is? I did find a pdf of the luggage valet form saying 11:30 but it was from a post in 2014 so maybe has changed? Would be great if SW just has a nice 12:05 flight when they release their schedule!

Cruise a holic,

Very interesting on the waiving of the luggage weight overage charge. Might make return packing a little easier in that we wouldn't have to even out the packing as carefully between the two bags. Thanks for the pointer!

ClaudiaB,

I imagine that having Pre-check is a lot like Amazon Prime. You don't think you need it until you get it and then wonder how you lived without it! Still working on the breathing thing...lol But going to pour a glass of wine soon so that will help I'm sure!:D

Edited by SeasideMemories

I probably could figure this out if my brain weren't fried from work, and especially the workload the last 2 weeks leading up to our cruise:)...but how does the pricing for the bags from the airlines work? How do they charge and how do we pay? Also, we get one bag free with our credit card, so how would they know that?

Is there any deadline for flight times? Our flight isn't until 8 pm. Oh yea, do they do this for Miami? I guess that's the big question!

At the airport you will not have to check your luggage if you did valet, unless you check your carry ons. Head to security. If you're REALLY smart --- and there's time ---- pay the $85.00 and get TSA-Pre Screen so you go in the short line and keep your shoes on and your computer and zip lock of liquids inside. Best money ever spent for 5 years of not having to wait in long security lines! We plan to have the TSA-PRE on our tickets forever or as long as it's a thing. When you see a line of a thousand people at a busy airport shuffling along waiting to go through security and you pass them by and get in a line of about 6 people and keep your shoes on, etc. ----- that's priceless!

Since it seems that Port Everglades will now have Global Entry, why not sign up for Global Entry for $100 for 5 years? That way you do not have to go through immigration/customs when returning to the US. If you have Global Entry, you automatically have TSA Pre-screen. It's been great at airports, so I'm very happy that it is being extended to some cruise ports.

Carolyn

Since it seems that Port Everglades will now have Global Entry, why not sign up for Global Entry for $100 for 5 years? That way you do not have to go through immigration/customs when returning to the US. If you have Global Entry, you automatically have TSA Pre-screen. It's been great at airports, so I'm very happy that it is being extended to some cruise ports.

Carolyn

The Global Entry line was LONGER and slower, this past Monday. :( Glad I was watching and got in the regular line...fast!

BILL

I probably could figure this out if my brain weren't fried from work, and especially the workload the last 2 weeks leading up to our cruise:)...but how does the pricing for the bags from the airlines work? How do they charge and how do we pay? Also, we get one bag free with our credit card, so how would they know that?

Is there any deadline for flight times? Our flight isn't until 8 pm. Oh yea, do they do this for Miami? I guess that's the big question!

I know that fried feeling from before I retired, not to rub it in. When you fill out the form for luggage valet you indicate that you get free bags from XYZ airlines because of your credit card. When Celebrity checks you in they will also see that information, just as you do when you check yourself in. If you are not entitled to free bags your sea pass will be charged the appropriate amount.

An 8:00 flight will work with luggage valet and I understand (hope) they do it from Miami, we are counting on it for our cruise in 2 weeks.

One caveat for the luggage valet program....it must be a domestic flight. Wish they still did it from San Juan. It is also available to MIA if there are enough enrolees.

And maintain the 50 or 70 lb. weight, depending on air line and/or class of service. Chances are you won't get hit with an overweight charge but it could happen. FYI, overweight on Delta is $200.