INR testing

geniesue

We're booked on a TA, and British Isles cruise in April. My husband has recently started on Coumadin. Will it be possible to have an INR test done on the Caribbean Princess? We would then email the result to his cardiologist for dosage. I'm not sure how to contact medical services in Seattle to check. I'm sure he's not alone with this issue on longer cruises. Our cruise will be 30 days, the longest we've ever done!

This is something you should be talking to Princess and your doctor about. How many posters here are cardiologists and can give you true information? You have as much chance getting the right answer here as you do asking someone on the street.

Ask your Dr. first. I was going to say maybe someone knows if testing is done(from their own experience). Changed my mind, speak to your Dr. and see if he clears your husband to leave the country.

Edited by san diego sue

This is something you should be talking to Princess and your doctor about. How many posters here are cardiologists and can give you true information? You have as much chance getting the right answer here as you do asking someone on the street.

Well, a little better than a person on the,street, as there are those of us on the board who do cardiology and manage Coumadin.

And that is why I echo the others who say talk to his provider! If newly on Coumadin, is it for a reason that would keep him from cruising so soon? Is there an adequate other medication that does not need monitoring? Could he get a machine and do his own testing and adjust his meds based on instructions he has brought with him?

Ask your Dr. first. I was going to say maybe someone knows if testing is done(from their own experience). Changed my mind, speak to your Dr. and see if he clears your husband to leave the country.

Of course we we will check with Cardiologist before going. My question is can they do a finger stick INR on the ship. His Cardiologist will be responsible for dosage.

I went on a 48 day Australia/Asia cruise on the Diamond in 2010 while on Coumadin. I was able to get my INR checked in the Medical Center. I would certainly check that this service is still available. By the way, I am now on Pradaxa - expensive but much more convenient.

Guess I was "fortunate" in that I didn't go on a cruise for, probably, six months when I first went on Coumadin.

I asked my Dr. about switching to Pradaxa. He discussed that with one of the pharmacists and it was decided that Pradaxa wouldn't be appropriate for me, with my other medical problems.:(