FLL canadian flight after disembark

MommaMia2

First time flying in and out of Fort Lauderdale. There is a 12 noon flight to Canada but didn't know with travel from pier, customs, etc. Whether this would be okay. Anyone have experience with this?

First time flying in and out of Fort Lauderdale. There is a 12 noon flight to Canada but didn't know with travel from pier, customs, etc. Whether this would be okay. Anyone have experience with this?

We have flown out of FLL many times and never had a problem with a flight around noon.We are flying out in April with 11.50 FLIGHT TO Toronto.THE AIRPORT IS ONLY A FEW MINUTES FROM THE PORT.:cool:

Another Bluenoser here, just back from Oasis yesterday.

Not sure if it is available on your dates but we took the 10:30 Westjet from FLL to Halifax.

Used the express departure and were not sure how long things would take. We left the ship a bit after 7 and almost literally did not stop walking until we sat in the cab. That early no line in customs at all. 10 minute taxi drive to the airport, arriving at 7:35. We actually had to wait a while for the bag drop to open.

Even with the storm was in my living room at 3:30 yesterday afternoon.

A noon flight should be no issue based on my experience. I'm sure the lines get longer as it gets later, staff and customs were ready for a lot of people.

Enjoy.

Edited by Matt_75

Noon would be the earliest we would ever think of booking, especially to Canada. I think you will be all right.

Remember though that you and thousands of other people from possibly several ships, are also disembarking and heading to the airport with you - can make for long lines at the pier for customs, and for check-in and security at the airport.

MomaMia2

Just to provide you with our recent experience in departing Equinox:-

There were four ships in port that morning (with 9,548 passengers) when we docked at Pier 18. We got up at 6:00 am (about the same time as the ship docked), had breakfast at 7:30 am and then went to our departure point (Silhouette Restaurant, deck 4 aft for an 8:40 am disembark).

The first disembarkation number was called at 8:10 am, our number was called at 9:10 am. We left the ship, picked up our luggage (which had been grouped by disembarkation number) and cleared customs and immigration by 9:40 am. We went outside, picked up a cab (lots of them), were at the airport by 9:50 am and at our departure gate by 10:10 am, for a 1:00 pm AC Rouge flight to Toronto, no line-ups anywhere.

For a Noon flight you would disembark at 7:45 am (on our cruise you would have been called at 8:10 am). If you wanted to walk off with your luggage you could have left after 7:30 am, or as soon as the ship has been cleared - line ups started at 7:00 am

In hindsight we could have caught an earlier flight (funnily enough the earlier flight was delayed), but you can't count on everything working out smoothly; there are too many unknown's that can come into play - ship is late in docking, too many ships docking at the same time, luggage misplaced or in the wrong group, too few customs officers on duty, lack of cabs, traffic jams or accidents on the highway, line-ups at the airport, etc.

Delays may not happen very often, but do happen on occasion and when they do they can be quite annoying and you may well need a back-up plan. However, all other things being equal a Noon flight should be doable

It's Murphy's Law - when you allow enough time you don't need it, hence we booked the later flight, when you are running tight everything conspires against you. I guess it depends on what you are comfortable with and whether you are a glass half full or a glass half empty sort of person. You can probably work out what sort of person I am (I would have preferred to stay the night in FLL and leave the next day - I'm still on vacation), some of the posters on this, and other flight departure threads, will agree with me others will not.

NAGooner

Another option is if there are two flights on the same airline, an earlier one and a later one (i.e. noon), you can book the later one so that you're sure you'll make it and not have to stress. Then, if you end up getting to the airport earlier and in time for the earlier flight, you can ask at check-in if there's room on that flight. If there is, they can usually put you on that flight at no additional charge. I've done this on AC and Porter flying out of different airports in Canada and the US so I'm sure West Jet is similar.

Thanks everyone,

I'm going to book the 12 noon one and if I get there early I'll see if there is room on the earlier flight. I tend to think the 1030 Hr Direct flight will be full as it is the end of our march break but it never hurts to ask:)