Recent photos of empress of the seas in dry dock

The decision to transfer Empress was a financial one and gave the benefit of having a good entry ship for Cuba.

The transfer of the Pullmantur Empress to RCI was part of an almost $400 million 'non-cash write down' on Pullmantur. This financial instrument was used in a quarter where RCL had record profits.

The result is that RCL saved an enormous amount in taxes, transferred a ship at almost no cost to another of their lines, pulled out of a market that was not performing well and saved all the associated marketing and actual costs related to that market.

Another result was that several individuals were able to cash in on record stock prices and take substantial personal gain when RCL stock moved to a record level. The stock had moved in just a year from $57 to over $100, when they took their profits. The stock has since dropped substantially.

After five years’ presence in Brazil, the Spanish company Pullmantur Cruises has confirmed that will close its office on 31, March, 2016.

Pullmantur will have international representative in Brazil that will sell cruises chartered for Brazilian coast aboard the Pullmantur Sovereign in the season 2016/17. Pullmantur has chartered cruises to the tour operator CVC in Brazil previously. After ending the activities in Brazil, Pullmantur will only keep one office for South America, in Colombia.

Number of factors have contributed for Pullmantur to close its office, raising taxes, inadequate infrastructure and the lack of support from the Brazilian government. This factors affect all cruise lines operating in Brazil. Royal Caribbean scaled down from two ships to one, and pulling out completely for the next winter. Costa is also making adjustments to have less cruises for 2016-2017, the cruise line has two cruise ship visiting Brazil, Costa Pacifica and Costa Fascinosa. Pullmantur has downsized its fleet and Iberocruceros is being shut down.

And following with pullmantur, here's another rumour...228aed7df7260575f8131b89b10e56ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Interesting, this post plus NCEMT's Pullmantur announcement.

If those recall rumors are true, I wonder where Royal would put Sovereign and Monarch? It seems that cruiselines are sending their newer, larger ships to Asia rather than these classics. Perhaps the folks complaining about Anthem and wishing it would leave New Jersey might be happy with getting one of these classic gals instead?

If those recall rumors are true, I wonder where Royal would put Sovereign and Monarch? It seems that cruiselines are sending their newer, larger ships to Asia rather than these classics. Perhaps the folks complaining about Anthem and wishing it would leave New Jersey might be happy with getting one of these classic gals instead?

Shhh...there are plenty of people in the NJ area that greatly appreciate having a new ship in Cape Liberty. :cool:

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I hope we get one in the uk if they did (monarch being my favourite of all time) we need a ship doing short cruises over here [emoji3]

Well, I wonder what it would cost Royal Caribbean to make the Monarch "green" so that she could come back to the West Coast, and sail full on her old 3/4 night schedule. California now requires all ships that call on California ports more than a certain number of sailings to be able to plug into shore power, and power down all "gas" emitting engines while in port.

I have been told by more than one Royal Caribbean executive that the Monarch on the West Coast, and the Majesty and Sovereign on the East Coast were the old tried and true "cash cows". This statement goes back a ways, but Carnival and Princess have ships running out of California, so why not Royal Caribbean???:)

Well, I wonder what it would cost Royal Caribbean to make the Monarch "green" so that she could come back to the West Coast, and sail full on her old 3/4 night schedule. California now requires all ships that call on California ports more than a certain number of sailings to be able to plug into shore power, and power down all "gas" emitting engines while in port.

I have been told by more than one Royal Caribbean executive that the Monarch on the West Coast, and the Majesty and Sovereign on the East Coast were the old tried and true "cash cows". This statement goes back a ways, but Carnival and Princess have ships running out of California, so why not Royal Caribbean???:)

$11-15 million according to CARB.

Send Sovereign or Monarch to port in Charleston, SC.

That would be great!

I am looking all over to see what site I saw it on, but a few weeks ago there were photos posted of Sovereign and all kinds of deferred maintenance and things just looking like crap. It was kind of sad. Hopefully they get brought back to life and put to use on some GOOD itineraries.

I am looking all over to see what site I saw it on, but a few weeks ago there were photos posted of Sovereign and all kinds of deferred maintenance and things just looking like crap. It was kind of sad. Hopefully they get brought back to life and put to use on some GOOD itineraries.

Facebook page "amazing photos of Royal Caribbean ships" is where that was posted.

Monarch went through a re-design and the highlight was the addition of the Waves Yacht Club on deck 12.

https://www.pullmantur.es/en/barco/MONARCH/bares-y-restaurantes/the-waves-yacht-club.html

Sovereign was at the Navantia shipyard for a 12 day major dry dock with most cabins updated just in 2014.

While the focus has shifted back to the home Spanish market for Pullmantur under current conditions, RCI stated their commitment to the 're-structuring' of the division during the October financial call where the Empress move and 'write-down' were first announced.

Yes please!! I don't like the current options out of the So Cal ports.

8dbd355866f4889d98eb6058f91f9f96.jpg

Well guys we seem to have our first aft view of the returning empress. Still amazes me that thy need more time to finish but in all pictures of her since sitting there not one container has been loaded on to her top decks nor have I seen a crane operating or any vehicles alongside her. Just a ship that seems to be laid up there.

Just a new theory of mine but maybe there's possible an innovation to be added to her that may not have been ready in time?

After all there hasn't been a full press release as to every single feature she will have. [emoji848]

And following with pullmantur, here's another rumour...228aed7df7260575f8131b89b10e56ba.jpg

It's pure speculation, there's no real info behind this post... The fact is that Pullmantur will not only keep Monarch and Sovereign, but also receive Majesty in 2017 if everything goes well.

The companie's CEO Jorge Vilches spoke about that in France recently:

http://www.meretmarine.com/fr/content/pullmantur-devrait-recuperer-le-majesty-en-2017

About the refit, I've been on the Empress last year, and I was expecting something else. By the pictures I have seen, the ship looks pretty much the same. Far from what they promised at first (anyone remember the mention to new pools?)...

By the way, the cimbling wall has been with her since she was Empress of the Seas at first. Here is a picture of it last April: 11217519_1000847339949259_961392506711884930_n.jpg?oh=ef67939f0c910ba0354c301502ea24fb&oe=578F053D

Edited by Brazilian Guy

Shhh...there are plenty of people in the NJ area that greatly appreciate having a new ship in Cape Liberty. :cool:

Hehe, true! With all the Anthem posts and photos over the past several weeks, I've become curious about the ship myself. I'd definitely consider her for a Bermuda sailing someday.

It's pure speculation, there's no real info behind this post... The fact is that Pullmantur will not only keep Monarch and Sovereign, but also receive Majesty in 2017 if everything goes well....

Interesting, I had thought the major reduction in Majesty improvements meant she was not long for the Royal Caribbean fleet.

It's pure speculation, there's no real info behind this post... The fact is that Pullmantur will not only keep Monarch and Sovereign, but also receive Majesty in 2017 if everything goes well.

The companie's CEO Jorge Vilches spoke about that in France recently:

http://www.meretmarine.com/fr/content/pullmantur-devrait-recuperer-le-majesty-en-2017

Majesty has cruises available for booking with RCI up until April 2018.

Majesty has cruises available for booking with RCI up until April 2018.

Even though they have scaled down the revamp program on majesty, I can't see them adding voom and splash away bay just for the sake of a year. The whole point of bringing empress back also was the $400 million wrote down on pullmantur they wouldn't risk adding a third ship so soon which increasing total capacity up by a third.

I'm sure time will tell, but I think pullmantur are being a little too optimistic in 2017.

The mystery with the 're-deployments' started with the transfer of Splendour to TUI for lease to Thomson. Splendour was the first RCI ship to be revitalized by Navantia at Cadiz in 2011. That move has never made complete sense to me.

It would seem that the upcoming moves of Rhapsody and Legend may have some relationship to all of this, along with the changes to the modifications planned for Majesty.

The fact that TUI has 4 new builds coming on line, allows the Mein Schiff 1, the former Celebrity Galaxy and Mein Schiff 2, the former Celebrity Mercury to currently also be scheduled for transfer to Thomson.

In an interesting twist, the ship that Splendour replaced, the former Viking Serenade has been contracted by Sweden for 4 years to house Syrian and other asylum seekers.