Why are prices so high with lower fuel prices?

LynnA

We have been on 27 cruises with Carnival.

We decided to book the May 21st cruise on the Freedom out of Galveston. I thought the prices were kind of high. Carla always wants a balcony, I don't really care.

For us to get a balcony it is $1,928.32. In the past it cost around $1,200 and the last couple of years around $1,400 to $1,500 because of fuel prices they said. Fuel prices are way down right now.

While waiting for our personal cruise planner to call me back I went on Royal Caribbean just for the hell of it and looked. On May the first they have one out of Galveston, balcony is $1,797.98 with a $100.00 onboard credit. Going the same places except it goes to Falmouth Jamaica, which is supposed to be a nicer port. Nicer ship and better ports for about $250.00 less.

When my vacation planner called back I told her about this and she said all she could do is get us an extra $30.00 per person off. I asked why it was so high and she just said that cruising is real popular right now. Basically price gouging to me. I just told her I was going to have to think about it.

I don't really think I can change cruise lines right now but it pisses me off. If we went on Royal Caribbean we would lose all our privileges, long line to board, etc. Kind of feel like I wasted my time with Carnival all these years.

I agree that the prices are doing nothing but going up. I am afraid that Carnival is planning for greatly increase taxes that will be coming from new EPA regulations in the next administration. This is one reason they are getting ships in position to move to China and eventually Cuba.

You have to remember several things.......yes, right now cruising is EXTREMELY popular, and prices are priced per demand. If you don't book, trust me, someone else will. Another thing to remember, Carnival is building several new ships right now. One comes out this year, one in 2018, and a new mega ship in 2020. They cost around $800 million to $1.2 billion to build. Carnival also owns several other cruise lines with new ships coming out as well. I have always said this about "perks"...they are not free....you are paying for them. We are Platinum with Carnival and Princess...not because we chose to book cruises so that we could reach status, but rather simply because we cruise alot. If the "perks" changed or went away, it would honestly be no big deal to us. We are about to start cruising on Celebrity and NCL to try them out (especially the new NCL ships)....we will have zero perks there, but want to see what their experience is. I can tell you that after 13 straight cruises with Carnival, we gave Princess a try and were glad that we did.

Greed is keeping prices high. They got to make sure the investors and executives are getting nice fat checks. Found a news article showing the big lines saving about 25 to 50 million in fuel cost. They are also trying to lock in long term contracts at the lower prices. Same with the airlines, they are capitalizing on the low fuel cost to reap millions in profit.

DW wants to try Princess. We might have to expand our cruise thoughts. I told her we are only 14 days from being Diamond. She asked what that gets and i had to think about it, just basically dinner with the captain. Big deal...

I asked why it was so high and she just said that cruising is real popular right now. Basically price gouging to me. I just told her I was going to have to think about it.

I don't really think I can change cruise lines right now but it pisses me off. If we went on Royal Caribbean we would lose all our privileges, long line to board, etc. Kind of feel like I wasted my time with Carnival all these years.

Maybe you should be angry with all those passengers who are willing to pay the current rate....just think, if they felt/feel that prices were too high they would stop sailing and prices would, naturally, go down so ships would sail full.

Aren't we a free market economy, especially for products that are non-essential.

For, passengers like you who have loyalty perks, I guess you need to value those perks. My local coffee shop sells a large coffee for a buck but I have to pay for every one...I could go to Starbucks and buy my coffee and pay 2 bucks and get the 10th one free (yea a perk) but the extra money doesn't offset the perk and Starbucks coffee sucks anyway.

We, as consumers have a choice. If another cruiseline is going to meet our needs and is cheaper....well, darn, I'll cruise them in an instant. If a cruiseline wants my "loyalty" they have to offer me something monetarily substantial.

Once again, this needs to be stated that what Carnival is doing (as are most cruise lines) is not "price gouging". The OP needs to look up what that term means.

Also, the OP needs to research what cabins cost 20 years ago, and those were typically without balconies. The OP would find that when adjusted for inflation that today's cruise prices are not as great as one would think, and in many cases LESS.

The price of fuel is totally irrelevant in this matter.

It happens, but frankly you have been cruising for a bit. Here is the difference no one is saying here, last minute cruises are gone. You personal planner didnt play with the rates, the truth is if you look at that ship its probably almost full. The cruise lines are putting a bunch of sales right now to book early, b/c they dont want the hassle of having to sell the cruise for less last minute.

Greed is keeping prices high. They got to make sure the investors and executives are getting nice fat checks. Found a news article showing the big lines saving about 25 to 50 million in fuel cost. They are also trying to lock in long term contracts at the lower prices. Same with the airlines, they are capitalizing on the low fuel cost to reap millions in profit.

Absolutely not greed. So many people forget that Carnival is a business, not an non profit organization. Carnival's bookings are stronger than ever right now and ships are sailing full. Why would any successful business not take advantage of this. As for fuel, might not be anytime soon but it won't stay this low forever.

It's simple economics. Increased demand, same supply = increased prices.

Exactly. Plus lower gas prices means people have more money to spend on vacations. Any travel based corporation would be foolish to lower prices now.

You make hay when the sun is shining!

Hi Lynn

I don't understand why you are suggesting that you had wasted all that time cruising with Carnival.

Did you not get to go on all those cruises?

Did you not get what you had paid for?

Did you not have fun?

Is this the first time you actually shopped around and found that there might be another comparable product being priced lower?

It's no different than having to purchase a flight to the cruise. One is cheaper than the other but it may be less convenient for you. You just have to make a decision.

Maybe you should be thanking Carnival for setting up this opportunity so you can try something new and different. Who knows you might just like it, in the meantime you will have some extra $$ to spend on board. :)

have a great cruise

Hi Lynn

I don't understand why you are suggesting that you had wasted all that time cruising with Carnival.

Did you not get to go on all those cruises?

Did you not get what you had paid for?

Did you not have fun?

Is this the first time you actually shopped around and found that there might be another comparable product being priced lower?

It's no different than having to purchase a flight to the cruise. One is cheaper than the other but it may be less convenient for you. You just have to make a decision.

Maybe you should be thanking Carnival for setting up this opportunity so you can try something new and different. Who knows you might just like it, in the meantime you will have some extra $$ to spend on board. :)

have a great cruise

and yes, I agree with this quote. We used to sail only carnival and then expanded to other lines...which was a good choice because we were able to experience more. Do we regret all of those Carnival cruises that we took initially...no...we got what we paid for and had an awesome time!!! It's all about your perspective...

When fuel price was very high I don't ever recall cruise prices going up

Or people complaining that the price should be higher. Carnival could have legally added a fuel surcharge.

Pricing is based on supply and demand.

We decided to book the May 21st cruise on the Freedom out of Galveston. I thought the prices were kind of high. Carla always wants a balcony, I don't really care.

For us to get a balcony it is $1,928.32. In the past it cost around $1,200 and the last couple of years around $1,400 to $1,500 because of fuel prices they said. Fuel prices are way down right now.

While waiting for our personal cruise planner to call me back I went on Royal Caribbean just for the hell of it and looked. On May the first they have one out of Galveston, balcony is $1,797.98 with a $100.00 onboard credit. Going the same places except it goes to Falmouth Jamaica, which is supposed to be a nicer port. Nicer ship and better ports for about $250.00 less.

When my vacation planner called back I told her about this and she said all she could do is get us an extra $30.00 per person off. I asked why it was so high and she just said that cruising is real popular right now. Basically price gouging to me. I just told her I was going to have to think about it.

Plan and simple, they are a business, that is in business to make money. Capitalism at its best and exactly the blocks upon which the USA was built!

If you don't like it go to the competition where you find a better price.

Sorry, greed is only in the prospective of the some consumers. From a business stand point it is good economic. Ships are still sailing full so the price must be at a level that consumers are willing to pay. Remember, a cruise is not a necessity.

Also, fuel prices are contracted sometime years in advance. So even though gas price are low low low, it is not like the ship pulls into a pump to refuel. Remember when we were paying $4.00 per gallon? Southwest had some of the lowest prices. I could fly to San Antonio from Houston cheaper than I could drive.

You should try and find a solo rate. No more deals. Like said they every one is cruising . But when fuel was way over the 70 dollar mark they didn't go up on the cruises I was on. So maybe they are making some money back that they lost

Increasing demand with static supply means higher prices. It's pretty simple.

If Royal Caribbean is offering a lower fare, don't complain but sail them instead. Carnival's loyalty perks are not worth $250.

Even as a Platinum sailor on Carnival I wouldn't hesitate try Royal if they ever offered a competitive fare in a week when we want to sail. I have yet to find a competitive rate on them.

Edited by gtalum

Carnival should charge as much as they can get. If they charge too much , they won't fill their ships and will lower their price. It's really that simple. I'm not sure why that would piss you off. I suggest taking a break from thinking about this. Go have some fun.