Embarkation in Basel Questions

sunsetbeachgal

This is my first river cruise coming up, so not completely sure how things work with embarkation. We are embarking our Rhine river cruise in Basel, Switzerland. We are spending the week before the river cruise touring independently in Switzerland, ending up with the night prior to the cruise at a hotel in Basel which I booked independent of the cruise line, and then plan on getting a taxi to the boat.

Are the river cruises berthed in downtown Basel? If not, is it a distance from the city? We are hoping to drop our suitcases and then walk around if the ships are downtown.

Thanks!

Give Scenic a quick call and ask them where they usually dock. While travelling with another cruise company a few years ago, we were docked on the Swiss side just a few hundred meters from the border with Germany and France was across the river. We were able to take a couple of bicycles and ride over to France for a few hours.

The docking location will be in your cruise documents, but is subject to change.

We have embarked twice in Basel. Last November, AMA docked walking distance to the city center, which was lovely!

The previous cruise, AMA docked in an industrial area a ten minute taxi ride from the center.

We cruised Scenic out of Basel last fall. Our documents gave us a number to call on the day on embarkation to find out where the ship would be docked. Our hotel in Basel was very use to this and called for us and then told our cab driver where to take us. We were in an industrial area

We cruised Scenic out of Basel last fall. Our documents gave us a number to call on the day on embarkation to find out where the ship would be docked. Our hotel in Basel was very use to this and called for us and then told our cab driver where to take us. We were in an industrial area

Perfect! Thank you! We are staying at the Swissotel.

The best answer to your question is be prepared. We were on a Tauck trip down the Rhine leaving from Basel last may. It had rained for ten days before our arrival so the water level in the Rhine was very high. None of the river boats could reach Basel because they could not use the locks between Basel and Strasbourg. We stayed at the same hotel that you are using and it was a Tauck pre-cruise hotel. On the day of departure Tauck arranged buses so that we could join the boat across the river from Strasbourg (about 30 miles up stream). We never missed a step once we met the boat, all excursions were completed, even those to Lake Lucerne, south of Basel (just required a longer bus ride). Bottom line, no one can tell you in advance where the boat will be, but the cruise line will give you the best information the morning of your departure. Have a great cruise, we loved every minute of our Rhine trip and have now booked the Danube!

Thanks gregdude. I did our hotel on my own as the only pre cruise hotel Scenic offered was in Zurich, and I think it was $500 per night! No thank you! We are traveling with friends who are also staying at Swissotel.

Makes me feel good that the staff at the Swissotel in Basel are used to dealing with folks going on river cruises and could be of help if a situation like you described above happens.

Sounds like river cruising has it's own set of challenges, but I guess that is to be expected .

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

• 5 months later...
The best answer to your question is be prepared. We were on a Tauck trip down the Rhine leaving from Basel last may. It had rained for ten days before our arrival so the water level in the Rhine was very high. None of the river boats could reach Basel because they could not use the locks between Basel and Strasbourg. We stayed at the same hotel that you are using and it was a Tauck pre-cruise hotel. On the day of departure Tauck arranged buses so that we could join the boat across the river from Strasbourg (about 30 miles up stream). We never missed a step once we met the boat, all excursions were completed, even those to Lake Lucerne, south of Basel (just required a longer bus ride). Bottom line, no one can tell you in advance where the boat will be, but the cruise line will give you the best information the morning of your departure. Have a great cruise, we loved every minute of our Rhine trip and have now booked the Danube!

My wife and I are on the same Tauck Rhine River cruise you were on last year in September 2016 and would really appreciate any suggestions/tips about the ship or ports along the way. Did you go to Arthur's for dinner and do you recommend it?

It may be better to take our conversation off line so I can be reached at dennisbrinly@comcast.net.

• Members

Just dropping in to say that I've now been to Arthur's several times on Tauck's Grace, both for lunch and dinner. I love it. You can get a wide variety of food, and don't have to sit through a four-course meal. Plus the location off the back makes it a great place for sightseeing during lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have you considered the option of having the hotel hold your luggage while you explore Basel in the morning and afternoon and then taxi to the ship? Basel hotels all provide a no cost transit pass, it just adds to your touring options.