Actual Decrease in Drink Packages haha

I get where you're coming from, but everyone's situation is different. I know, for example, that I'd "make use of" $300 worth of coffees, fresh OJ, cocktails, wine, water and soft drinks in a week. I wouldn't use $480 worth, so therefore wouldn't buy the Ultimate package - I'd normally buy the Replenish package and add alcohol as desired. However, if I can get the Ultimate Package for $300 or very slightly above, then it becomes worth it to me. My patterns of imbibing won't change much, but it does offer me the freedom to try drinks I may not have tried before without worrying about that extra $10 on my bill at the end of the cruise.

It's purely psychological. If I couldn't afford that extra $10, I couldn't afford to cruise. Having the drinks package adds to the relaxation of the holiday - not because I'm going to get drunk at 8am every day and stay drunk, but because of the illusion of freedom it provides.

You could argue that in that case I should always buy the ultimate package regardless of price, but if the price is perceived to be too high, there is a different kind of pressure around wondering whether you got good value, or "wasted" money. The fact that you just spent $100 on airline baggage fees just so you could bring 2 extra pairs of shoes you'll never wear is irrelevant :)

That's an excellent point. I had made a poor attempt to point out that the psychological aspect of this particular decision that people make seems out of proportion to the other parts of the cruise decision process. That's just me... BTW, I'll be visiting your beautiful country later this year. I hope it's as beautiful as it is in the pictures!

Many people spend a lot of money not only on the cruise itself, but on flights, hotels, cruise tours, etc. Yet, judging from the posts I see on here, the most cause for concern are the prices of beverage packages. Which, by and large, are for those interested in alcoholic beverages - which do nothing for you really. Surely I can't be the only one that finds loads of humor and stupidity in this..

I did not start this thread intending to insinuate that the prices of beverage packages were the most important concern when it comes to costs of cruising. There is actually quite a bit of interest in this topic and I solely intended this thread to benefit those that had either already purchased at a higher rate or were intending to purchase the packages.

I know I like saving $100s so I decided to try to help others do the same.

So, if your opinion is that saving money is humorous or stupid I will not argue with you. I hope you enjoy all of your cruises and whatever you decide to spend your money on! :cool:

Moving on.... For those of you not receiving e-mail confirmations I'd keep an eye on your Spam folders.

It seems that every confirmation we get from RC goes directly to Spam for some reason! We almost immediately received our e-mailed confirmations under the heading "Cruise Planner Summary" as another poster had mentioned.

That's an excellent point. I had made a poor attempt to point out that the psychological aspect of this particular decision that people make seems out of proportion to the other parts of the cruise decision process. That's just me... BTW, I'll be visiting your beautiful country later this year. I hope it's as beautiful as it is in the pictures!

I think it's out of proportion because it's a greater "relaxer" - not necessarily the relaxation effect of drinking, but the "I don't have to worry about that for the entire trip".

Other decisions like what flight for what price are comparatively simpler and unavoidable. If you need to fly, you need to fly. If you want to excurse, you'll need an excursion ;) I think the soul searching happens precisely because the drink packages are entirely optional. You can't, at a whim, take half a flight, or decide to drop in midway through an excursion, but you can randomly have a glass of wine on board.

And yes - Ireland is probably even more beautiful than the pictures once you get outside of Dublin!

Wondering if anyone has called about this to see what the prerequisite are to receive the 20% off is , or if anyone that did not have the sale price in their cruise planner has called with any positive results

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It's fun knowing there's others out there on that level of thinking as I am. You're obviously much better at putting words to it than I! I don't consider it over analyzing, just one of those quirks that stands out to me.

The next level of planning would be "excursions" outside of Dublin that we'd like to see. My fiancee has been, but I have not. Are there cruise ports in Ireland? I never thought about that...

Anyway, it wasn't my intention to instigate anything. I don't post here much and it's just a quirk I see on here. Just another case of some guy that doesn't perceive how my words appear on the internet.

I think it's out of proportion because it's a greater "relaxer" - not necessarily the relaxation effect of drinking, but the "I don't have to worry about that for the entire trip".

Other decisions like what flight for what price are comparatively simpler and unavoidable. If you need to fly, you need to fly. If you want to excurse, you'll need an excursion ;) I think the soul searching happens precisely because the drink packages are entirely optional. You can't, at a whim, take half a flight, or decide to drop in midway through an excursion, but you can randomly have a glass of wine on board.

And yes - Ireland is probably even more beautiful than the pictures once you get outside of Dublin!

Are there cruise ports in Ireland? I never thought about that...

So as not to derail this thread, if you want to start one over in the Ports of Call, Western Europe I'll be happy to answer questions. Cobh, Dublin and Belfast are the main cruise ports in Ireland (sometimes with tendering at Dunmore East for Waterford).

I thought to respond to the other message but I have learned from my time on this forum that there will always be instigators in every thread. I have just learned to ignore those folks that aren't really adding to the discussion.

I agree....I normally don't either. Not sure why this particular one got to me ;) I get that a lot of people don't care about drink packages, just as I don't care about the spa and pictures on a cruise. That said, I would never imply that one is stupid because they do care about those things. To each their own :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It pays to browse cruise critic. Saw this yesterday afternoon and checked my cruise planner. I was able to get select for 280 and premium for 352 total for our 9 day Anthem cruise in October. Huge savings considering I just paid 350/465 for my recent 8 day Granduer cruise. Thank you!

Wondering if anyone has called about this to see what the prerequisite are to receive the 20% off is , or if anyone that did not have the sale price in their cruise planner has called with any positive results

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I called and the rep I spoke with was not aware of the promotion. The only promotion the rep knew about was the current 30% off promotion. I asked specifically about this and he said there is no such thing.

I'm on an Oasis sailing, which is not included or. Maybe I'll keep checking to see if it pops up between now and my sailing.

Why can't Royal be consistent with a sale for all sailings for all ships? It could have been an unadvertised 48 hour sale or something similar... Oh well

Not available for my November 19th on Adventure either, which is a shame because had a discount been offered I probably would have got a package, but as it is we'll only have one sea day and we're in a suite so we'll have the CL. Doubt I'll drink enough to warrant a package at the current rates.

I called and the rep I spoke with was not aware of the promotion. The only promotion the rep knew about was the current 30% off promotion. I asked specifically about this and he said there is no such thing.

I'm on an Oasis sailing, which is not included or. Maybe I'll keep checking to see if it pops up between now and my sailing.

Why can't Royal be consistent with a sale for all sailings for all ships? It could have been an unadvertised 48 hour sale or something similar... Oh well

Again, RC is experimenting with various ways to maximize their sales.

They have been trying many kinds of discount schemes over the past six months, basically throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks.

:)

It is not allowed under the current Royal Caribbean terms, conditions and procedures.

I'm not sure what the deal is with this one! I still haven't been able to find anything on the website clarifying ships, sail dates, etc. for what this promotion specifically applies to.

I'm glad those that were able to benefit from it did! Now for all these drinks I've been promised for the heads up.... I'll have to set up a Cruise Fund Go Fund Me! hahaha JK ;)

Edited by sammydh82

I'm not sure what the deal is with this one! I still haven't been able to find anything on the website clarifying ships, sail dates, etc. for what this promotion specifically applies to.

I'm glad those that were able to benefit from it did! Now for all these drinks I've been promised for the heads up.... I'll have to set up a Cruise Fund Go Fund Me! hahaha JK ;)

Again, it's NOT on the website. It will ONLY appear in your Cruise Planner IF your sailing is offering a discount.

You must go into your My Cruises page. Click on your reservation. Click on Cruise Planner.

The discount is available for the 4/18/16 and 9/22/16 sailings of the Anthem of the Seas. The price has been corrected to include the gratuities at checkout. When I purchased the Premium package yesterday for the April sailing the final purchase price did not add the gratuity.