VOOM is now available on Freedom

E23NK1

So does Voom just cover internet?....if we had 2 devices could we text between the 2 devices?..or is texting different?...just thinking if I can use it to keep track of my son and daug.

15$ a day to get on the net at sea lol.

nothing like spending a vacation glued to the phone or tablet!

Work pays for it so I can keep in touch for emergencies. Not "glued"

So does Voom just cover internet?....if we had 2 devices could we text between the 2 devices?..or is texting different?...just thinking if I can use it to keep track of my son and daug.

If you're in airplane mode, you can't really "text."

If you have iPhones, I believe you can use iChat or whatever they call it. Our daughter has an iPhone, and she was using that last week on a Celebrity ship we were on.

I have a droid, and my daughter and I were using Messenger to communicate between her iPhone and my phone. You could also use something like Google Hangout. Sure beats using walkie talkies.

Edited by jules815

Work pays for it so I can keep in touch for emergencies. Not "glued"

I'd tell work to F off. I'm on holiday...

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

My neighbor drives a milk truck and he tells his boss the same thing. :D

Edited by Big_G

Because having internet means you're glued to it all day for you? I'm sorry that that's your experience. It's not like that for everyone.

I'm also glad for you that you don't have a job that needs you to be available. Many people do. My husband included. So we bought the package (not voom yet and one device for $20 a day!) for the Freedom cruise we are currently on. We also had to be in touch because our offer on a house was accepted days before the cruise. Sewer inspections wait for no cruise lol.

I had a choice between communicating with others by internet or reading a book right now. I chose communication.

Wish it were $15 for two not $20 for 1 though! And it's so slow.

Edited by mollyeilis

I'd tell work to F off. I'm on holiday...

Umm yeah I could do that, and then I would have no money to cruise. See how that works?! ;-)

You can text with Voom if you use an internet texting app, such as iMessage or WhatsApp.

No such luck.

:rolleyes:

Keep checking...I only found the Voom sale today because I was checking to see if the drink package was on sale as there have been a lot of posts on that this week.

Sadly American companies think that is acceptable. I once interviewed with one big Corp. Half way through the interview I got up and told them to go employ a monkey from the zoo as I wanted a job and not a prison sentence. Stress is a killer and holidays are your time. Not theirs... Don't accept it and they will learn. I guess I'm lucky that I'm more valuable to them than they are to me. But I have never even opened work email on holiday in 15 years.

...and I'm Batman. :rolleyes:

I'm on April 3 sailing on Freedom. So, if i add the BOGO internet now, I'll be missing out on additional C&A discount on top of that deal?

How do we know for sure the BOGO will be offered once onboard? ;)

Thanks,

PCJMOM

I'm on April 3 sailing on Freedom. So, if i add the BOGO internet now, I'll be missing out on additional C&A discount on top of that deal?

How do we know for sure the BOGO will be offered once onboard? ;)

Thanks,

PCJMOM

Unfortunately, we don't know if they will offer the BOGO promo on board.

I called and they said it would but i'm not sure she knew what she was talking about. She also told me that my Platinum discount for internet automatically adjusts, so that the $15 per day is with the C&A discount. But I looked at another person sailing with me on another reservation, who is not C&A and it said $15/day also..... I think I might purchase ahead of time. The BOGO is a good deal. All I want it to be able to iMessage with my adult/college kids back home and be reachable, should either of our aging mothers have any issues. Other than that, I'm disconnected :D

PCJMOM

Definitely not on Liberty as of February. I think that internet's name was Molasses.

LOL

I was reading in another thread, or maybe on the RC Blog, that Voom might make it to Liberty by the end of April which is earlier than anticipated.

Hoping Adventure gets updated during it's Fall refurb.

Just so I understand, I have Verizon and if I buy the package I will log into the ships WIFI and wont be charged from Verizon? But on port days we would need to go on airplane mode, what about private island? I wouldn't do this at all but my DD wants to post pics on instagram, its her Bday cruise.

Just so I understand, I have Verizon and if I buy the package I will log into the ships WIFI and wont be charged from Verizon? But on port days we would need to go on airplane mode, what about private island? I wouldn't do this at all but my DD wants to post pics on instagram, its her Bday cruise.

Your phone should be in Airplane Mode anytime you want to ensure not being charged by Verizon. Turn on WiFi to use the ship's Voom package.

Your phone should be in Airplane Mode anytime you want to ensure not being charged by Verizon. Turn on WiFi to use the ship's Voom package.

Agree 100%. I have ATT but the premise is the same. Turn on airplane mode, and once that's enabled, turn on wifi. Airplane mode will ensure that when not connected to a wifi network that you don't incur any sort of roaming charges.

That said, I think I'm one of the only ones who this doesn't do anything for. We post the requisite drink in hand facebook photo before sail away and the Mrs finds free wifi in one port and checks email once to make sure there isn't any major issues back home. I love my phone, but love being disconnected even more. That said, for those that need and/or really want it, the new service sounds like a winner so far.

You can't text, but as a pp has mentioned you can use Google Hangouts and other messaging apps that use wifi. With Hangouts you can also video chat, if that's something you might enjoy/use.