Internet on Summit

llarosa

Our cruise is just a week away and I'm starting to think about packing. I've been reading Cruise Critic daily for about three months and think I'm well prepared... Until my husband asks me a question that I'm sure I read the answer to at one time but seriously don't recall what I read.

Is the Internet package on Summit worth getting? Is there any free internet at all? It says that most ships have WiFi. Can I read and post on Facebook or cruise critic with the free WiFi?

If I need a package, I recall there were multiple levels of packages. I have some OBC but only want to spend on Internet if I need it.

I talked to our mobile carrier and decided against the package I'd need to be able to text or call home (costs about $100 for the week) so I'd use Facebook messaging or Viber (which can be done with a decent WiFi connection) as my communication to my daughters. I would want to connect at least every other day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Unless you are Captain's Club Elite or higher there is no free wifi.

There are packages available but none are cheap (IMHO). Unless you absolutely need to stay connected onboard, I'd just wait until port and take advantage of whatever free wifi you can find.

The wifi on board isn't bad, but it will be much slower than at home so take that into account when deciding how much you need.

Hi. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I will need to stay connected onboard so will have to choose one of the packages. Did the Summit get the new faster internet with dry dock like what's now on the Reflection? I actually tried to go online on the Celebrity site and find the internet package information but didn't see it, even logging in and going to managing my reservation. I'd love the most up-to-date package information too. Thanks.

I was on the Summit on the last cruise pre-dry dock. I needed to work so I bought the unlimited package- $200 but we got 25% off for being Select members. Thankfully our OBC covered it.

They don't have the new "fast' internet but there were only a few times that I found the internet to be slow. I was impressed, since the last time I sailed it could take 15 minutes to do something easy like check in for a flight.

I was downloading a lot of PDFs and images and it worked fine. I didn't try streaming video though.

The "fast internet" depends on the ship and the location. The ships that have been upgraded have great performance in the Caribbean but still have poor performance in Alaska or other regions that don't have good satellite covergae. Unless there is good satellite coverage, you won't get good internet performance. Does anyone know if there is good satellite coverage in the North Atlantic or the Med?

I was on the Summit on the last cruise pre-dry dock. I needed to work so I bought the unlimited package- $200 but we got 25% off for being Select members. Thankfully our OBC covered it.

They don't have the new "fast' internet but there were only a few times that I found the internet to be slow. I was impressed, since the last time I sailed it could take 15 minutes to do something easy like check in for a flight.

I was downloading a lot of PDFs and images and it worked fine. I didn't try streaming video though.

so glad to hear this. My husband and I really need it to keep in touch with family members and of course, work. Of course it doesn't compare to my ludicrous speed internet at home but hopefully it is better than the dial in days :eek:

I just checked unlimited internet prices for our next two cruises. 7 days $199 and 14 days $299. I know elites get a 30 percent discount. I don't know about classics and selects.

I've posted pix to Facebok, read and sent mail, and read the news without a problem. When we sailed in November, there is still the problem being logged in without really being logged in - you are consuming minutes but can't do anything.