Car Rental from Heathrow or Gatwick?

I have reserved tickets to go visit Highclere next July. I've decided the best way to get there is rent a car and drive ourselves (this will also allow for some aimless rambling along the way :) ). As I value my life and nerves, I prefer not to drive in Central london ;), thus I was thinking of picking up the car at either LHR or LGW.

Here's the dilemma: it's actually easier and faster to get from our South London digs to LGW, however that gives us a longer drive (and veritably forces us to use the dreaded M25). It's longer and more convoluted to get to LHR, but then from there it's pretty much straight out via the M4, with a shorter drive. This will all be on a Wednesday, so I'm dealing with mid-week traffic.

So, what would you locals (and knowledgeable visitors :cool:) do? What do you think would be the easier drive?

I think I would go to Heathrow, but does slightly depend on how bad it is to get over there. You'd need to compare the time taken vs the extra driving (about 40 minutes, I'd guess - and as you have correctly identified, no fun in rush hour, or really at anytime!), and also take account of the extra potential for delays both on the M25 and public transport to LHR.

I honestly don't think there is an obvious answer to this one :)

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

I'd definitely aim for Heathrow rather than Gatwick.

From Gatwick to Highclere you're adding mileage on the notorious M25 London orbital to get to near Heathrow. And the same again at the end of the day.

And don't go thinkin' that instead of the M25 you can aimlessly ramble along the A25 through Dorking & Gomshall (very urban, slow main road, lots of junctions, lots of traffic) or the lanes to the south - Cranleigh, Godalming, Farnham (you'll get lost).

Options are quite limited - close to London is very urban, with roads & traffic to match.

Keep life simple for the drive to Highclere - straight onto the M4 westbound at Heathrow, in about 40 miles take exit number 13 at Newbury, to head south on the A34 signed Southampton. In about 8 miles on the A34, watch for the brown tourist sign for Highclere Castle. About an hour from Heathrow.

Depending on time, weather, & the inclination, you have a number of options after Highclere......

- check out the canal boats on the River Kennett in Newbury town centre.

- From Highclere to Winchester, direct on the fast A34 (30 mins), or meander through Hurstbourne Tarrant, Andover ring road, & Stockbridge (60 minutes).

Then from Winchester direct to Heathrow on the M3 (60 mins), or peel off at junction 4 for Ascot (horse racing) or Wentworth (golf) and Windsor (90 mins total), or from Winchester take the A31 to Alton (Jane Austens's house at nearby Chawton), Farnham, the Hogs Back, Guildford, then A3 & M25 to Heathrow (80 mins)

- From Highclere, minor roads through Hermitage & Yattendon to cross the Thames at Pangbourne, cross-country to Henley-on-Thames, Marlow & Burnham, & join the M4 between Maidenhead & Slough (about 2 hours).

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Can you define 'South London' a bit? If you are close enough to get to tube station, I'd definately tube out to LHR. Even if you are near a railway station, it would probably be easier to train into Victoria (or wherever) and tube out to LHR.

Simon

I honestly don't think there is an obvious answer to this one :)

Well, that's why I want you all to decide for me... :D;)

I'd definitely aim for Heathrow rather than Gatwick.

From Gatwick to Highclere you're adding mileage on the notorious M25 London orbital to get to near Heathrow. And the same again at the end of the day.

And don't go thinkin' that instead of the M25 you can aimlessly ramble along the A25 through Dorking & Gomshall (very urban, slow main road, lots of junctions, lots of traffic) or the lanes to the south - Cranleigh, Godalming, Farnham (you'll get lost).

I don't get lost - I simply take creative routings :p. Seriously, thanks for the info - it's that kind of first-hand knowledge I'm looking for. Was wondering if I had overlooked some better way of going from LGW to Highclere, so thanks for confirming that I hadn't. I need to keep this pretty simple, as while I do actually have an excellent sense of direction, MamaTwick, who will be holding the map while I drive, does not... *sigh*

Can you define 'South London' a bit?

Southfields - close by bus to Southfields tube station, but equally as easy to get to Clapham Junction.

As it happens, was talking to MamaTwick about this - she has both bad knees and a minor phobia of escalators, so I try to minimise transfers for her sake, but she said she doesn't mind the double-connection so looks like we'll be renting from LHR. Thanks for the tips everyone - and if you have more info, feel free to share :).

I agree about renting from LHR. But if you're staying out in surburban Surrey (;)), you may find it easiest as well as faster just to take a local minicab to LHR. A good local firm shouldn't charge anything like the rates you see quoted for central London to LHR.