Anyone sailing from Galveston??

cruzelover55

Can anyone help me out? We are renting a car at Hobby driving to the cruise port and keeping it all week so we have it when we disembark the next Sunday. It was actually cheaper to do this since I have a discount on the car rental.

Where is the best place to park? I was looking at Galveston Park N Cruise , they say you can walk across the street to the Terminal 2 (RCCL terminal). Can you really?

If not where is the best place to park?

Thanks,

Steph

We have used Galveston Park n cruise several times

they have a golf cart that takes you to 25th st you turn left walk 50 ft and you are at the stoplight across Harborside dr from the cruise terminal

Easy..... Highly recommend

Concerning Dining in Galveston Food is very subjective

Im not a BOI or even a LOI but we do a lot of staycations on the Island besides cruising out of there numerous times

Our favorite place hands down is Olympia Grill pier21

I think they get their fish directly from Katies Seafood

Katies Seafood has been on a reality show lately I guess the provide most the seafood for local restaurants

It was pretty cool seeing behind the scenes

We also pick up seafood from there before driving back north for an hr

But we also like the Happy Hour at Landrys and Willie G's

Mexican food at the Original Mexican Cafe

Enjoy eating lunch upstairs at Fish Tales across from the Pleasure Pier

or grabbing a shrimp poor boy at Shrimp n stuff

Can anyone help me out? We are renting a car at Hobby driving to the cruise port and keeping it all week so we have it when we disembark the next Sunday. It was actually cheaper to do this since I have a discount on the car rental.

Where is the best place to park? I was looking at Galveston Park N Cruise , they say you can walk across the street to the Terminal 2 (RCCL terminal). Can you really?

If not where is the best place to park?

Thanks,

Steph

Park N Cruise is almost right across the street. We have used them twice and they are great. We used the inside parking.

However, there is another place, Galveston VIP Cruise Parking, that really is right across the street at the red light where you cross to go to the Carnival terminal. The RCCL terminal is further down to the left. We have parking reserved there for Sun. They are more expensive but parking is inside. They are a little more expensive.

We parked at VIP once before but it had other owners at the time so cannot really comment on how good they are now. Hoping they will be good.

I imagine either would be a good choice. It is nice to just get off the ship and walk across the street, get in your car, and leave. We don't like using shuttles.

Hope this is helpful for you.

• 1 month later...

So glad you posted Enterprise in Galveston is open on Sundays till 1pm.

Won't help us this time, as our UK travel agent insisted no car rental agency was open in Galveston on Sundays.

We have a very complicated arrangement of flying into IAH, getting hire car, spending few days in Galveston, returning car to IAH, staying night in Marriott at airport, then catching transfer to and from cruise terminal !!!!!

$100 one way drop off fee seems a drop in the ocean( intentional ) compared with that !!!!!!!

Think we need a new travel agent !!!!

So glad you posted Enterprise in Galveston is open on Sundays till 1pm.

Won't help us this time, as our UK travel agent insisted no car rental agency was open in Galveston on Sundays.

We have a very complicated arrangement of flying into IAH, getting hire car, spending few days in Galveston, returning car to IAH, staying night in Marriott at airport, then catching transfer to and from cruise terminal !!!!!

$100 one way drop off fee seems a drop in the ocean( intentional ) compared with that !!!!!!!

Think we need a new travel agent !!!!

I appreciate you benefited from my post, since no one else has. My surprise at the drop off fee is because we have always rented cars from where we left and returned them back to the same place. So, it never came up. Hope you have a great cruise! I know the Sunday return at Enterprise has not always been available, just not sure when it started. If you need to know I would be happy to find out for you.

I appreciate you benefited from my post, since no one else has. My surprise at the drop off fee is because we have always rented cars from where we left and returned them back to the same place. So, it never came up. Hope you have a great cruise! I know the Sunday return at Enterprise has not always been available, just not sure when it started. If you need to know I would be happy to find out for you.

Yikes, I guess I paid more attention when I read your post the 2nd time. That is really a big inconvenience the way your TA has you doing it. It would be on my "ARE YOU KIDDING ME, LIST" if I were offered those options.

Yikes, I guess I paid more attention when I read your post the 2nd time. That is really a big inconvenience the way your TA has you doing it. It would be on my "ARE YOU KIDDING ME, LIST" if I were offered those options.

Thank you for your offer to find out further information for us...we would be grateful to know about returning car either Sat or Sun. Too late this year...next Easter / May will be our next sortie from Galveston although not booked yet. The flights we can arrange from our local airport suit (leave IAH at 3pm)

We considered hiring car at airport , doing park and cruise at a Galveston hotel then returning it to IAH. However, two years ago we had very long immigration queues ( non US passport holders) on disembarkation and were concerned we wouldn't manage to get to check in by the required 12 noon..get to car, drive to airport, return car, shuttle from hire company. Wasn't so bad at Bayport last year...and our schedule allowed a few days post cruise at Galveston.

Thanks again ..look forward to receiving any information.

Considering all the other options, $100 to drop it off is nothing. We have to get to Galveston anyway, that is not cheap no matter how you get there. At the very least, it takes very little of my time which is also appreciated. Once you spread the cost across a few days it's much more acceptable.

Please make sure you check, but normally with a one way rental and drop fee you do not get unlimited mileage. So be sure that there is not also a per mile charge to pay upon return.

• 2 months later...

I for one am going to board the ship (Freedom 12/8/16) as soon as possible. Have a check in between noon and 12:30 pm. I have read other posts where you can get some food or go to your room then to the pool. I want to get as much out of my cruise as I can. I paid for 4 days gonna get my 4 days :)

Hey, great offer and much appreciated. We have cruised out of FL many times but we hope to book Liberty for next year while on board in a couple of weeks so we are researching Galveston. All I know is what I have heard from Glenn Campbell :). I was trying to get an idea of hotel costs for our trip since they tend to fluctuate a lot. We are especially interested in the Harbor House, but are open to suggestion. One thing I noticed is that when I search hotels for our dates (late August 2017) everything shows as fully booked almost everywhere. Would all these hotels be full due to an event or seasonal demand, or am I just early? I appreciate any guidance.

Hey, great offer and much appreciated. We have cruised out of FL many times but we hope to book Liberty for next year while on board in a couple of weeks so we are researching Galveston. All I know is what I have heard from Glenn Campbell :). I was trying to get an idea of hotel costs for our trip since they tend to fluctuate a lot. We are especially interested in the Harbor House, but are open to suggestion. One thing I noticed is that when I search hotels for our dates (late August 2017) everything shows as fully booked almost everywhere. Would all these hotels be full due to an event or seasonal demand, or am I just early? I appreciate any guidance.

Most likely early! But demand will be higher first half of August until the schools start up again! Suggest you come early or stay later after cruise if your schedule permits it! Galveston ISLAND is a destination, with more than the typical islands have for tourists!

Edited by ssb

One thing I noticed is that when I search hotels for our dates (late August 2017) everything shows as fully booked almost everywhere. Would all these hotels be full due to an event or seasonal demand, or am I just early? I appreciate any guidance.

I had the same question last year. You can call the hotel and check but I don't think they book that far in advance. We stayed at the Harbor House and loved it. We will stay there again next year.

We are booked for July 2, 2017 and will be renting a car, since we will be coming in 2 days early to spend July 1st over at the Nasa Space Center then driving down to Galveston that afternoon. My question is, since we have a car to return back to IAH, could we make a 2:15 flight . I could do the 3 PM flight but it means a 3 hr layover in DFW vs 1:25. Since we are meeting a couple for a couple hours, it is better we fly into IAH and our flight from home doesn't go into Hobby unless we go out of LAX and that ends up costing us far more.

Thank you, I do have a listing of the differant lots and considering leaving the Rental at one of them. Our Hotel, LQ Inn West Seawall is a good 12 + minutes away and would need to call and wait on them for the shuttle. If we have the car at one of the Lots, we either walk or shuttle over, grab the car & go. Might be worth it to pay a little more.

Edited by Desert Cruizers