Chef Table Gratuities

SadieN

I booked the CT for an upcoming cruise and am confused, :confused: someone posted a photo of the email they received that stated there would be tip added, my confusion is mine does not say this?? I will pay whatever they say.. This will be my second time doing CT but my hubby's first and I think he will enjoy this!

This is all mine letter said...

Thank you for booking the Chef’s Table.

Your reservation request for 4 Guests is confirmed.

Should your plans change, please keep us advised at ecmaitred@carnival.com

We look forward to serving you!

Your Maitre D’,

Kind Regards,

Santhosh Nair

Maitre d', Carnival Ecstasy

Carnival Cruise Line

Office 8384 | Cell 7912 | e: ecmaitred@carnival.com

Dining services does include the buffet, so if he ate that day whether he was in a dining room or served himself on the Lido, it includes those folks whether you care to "interpret" it that way or not.

It is interesting that you used the phrase "dining services" to make your argument. There is a big difference between the two phrases "dining services" and "dining room services". The policy uses "dining room services". I agree that "dining services" would include the Lido buffet, but, the policy doesn't use that phrasing.

In all my years of cruising I've never heard the Lido buffet or other non-MDR food venues referred to as a "dining room" by staff or other cruisers. If such was intended, the policy could easily be amended to add that.

Edited by Cruise, J.D.

It is interesting that you used the phrase "dining services" to make your argument. There is a big difference between the two phrases "dining services" and "dining room services". The policy uses "dining room services". I agree that "dining services" would include the Lido buffet, but, the policy doesn't use that phrasing.

In all my years of cruising I've never heard the Lido buffet or other non-MDR food venues referred to as a "dining room" by staff or other cruisers. If such was intended, the policy could easily be amended to add that.

If I'm eating at a buffet, I'm dining. Maybe not elegantly, but I'm dining. I'm also in a room with tables doing this. Let's not get so technical about 2 or 3 words:eek:

I really don't have a problem with the auto 15% tip for the Chef's Table. I will probably add more if warranted...:)

I do however, have a problem about non-disclosure on Carnival's website. See the link below.

http://www.carnival.com/cruise-food/chefs-table

Nowhere is it mentioned that the 15% tip is automatic. Only after reserving a spot was I notified! :confused:

What's next, unmentioned 15% auto tips on CCL sponsored Excursions??:confused::cool: (Oops, I shouldn't have mentioned it....now CCL may phase that in as well.)

Anyway, we will still enjoy the amazing Chef's Table dinner experience on our Magic Cruise in May.

In "all your years of cruising" you would (or should) know that many if not all of the MDR "dining room" staff are employed on the Lido and other food venues during the daylight hours on the ship. Good grief.

Yes, but YOU control that.

When they take it from you, it's not the same.

So this is a price increase under the guise of tipping. I'm reaching out to legal in Florida.

After picking myself up off the floor from laughing so hard, I became a little more lucid and honestly want to know what the response is from Florida about the legality of a price increase and/or mandatory gratuity. Of course, after they pick themselves up off the floor from laughing so hard.

You have 3 options:

1. Book CT and enjoy along with 15% tip added.

2. Book CT, get pissed off about the extra 15% automatic gratuity, which apparently is only being communicated via the reservation and isn't listed on the website as of yet, and remove such "double dipping" fees after services rendered.

3. Don't book/cancel existing reservation and then you don't have to worry about it.

Our reservation confirmation from 2/18/2016 said this:

Dear XXXXXXX & XXXX XXXXXXXX

Thank you for booking the Chef’s Table.

Your reservation request for 2 Guests is confirmed, sail date: April 24, 2016

Should your plans change, please keep us advised at cqsteakhouse@carnival.com

We look forward to serving you!

Your Steakhouse Manager,

Carnival Conquest

I really don't care what anyone decides to do with their money. Tip/Don't Tip, doesn't affect me, but may affect the rest of the crew.

Depends on whether they used the dining room or not. I'll take the policy posted on Carnival's website at its word over your interpretation.

OK. Then read the next line from Carnival's website.

$6.10 per guest, per day for dining room services

$3.90 per guest, per day for stateroom services

$2.00 per guest per day for alternate services which is distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members.

For your information, tipping applies regardless of the dining options selected, such as eating at the casual dining restaurant or open seating dining.

Sounds like the tip includes all "dining." :o

$2.00 per guest per day for alternate services which is distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members.

For your information, tipping applies regardless of the dining options selected, such as eating at the casual dining restaurant or open seating dining.

Marry me? :D

So if one chooses to eat the good food every night in the steakhouse, they are required to tip in two restaurants?

Tips will go where I deem them to go. No one else will do that for me.

So if one chooses to eat the good food every night in the steakhouse, they are required to tip in two restaurants?

Tips will go where I deem them to go. No one else will do that for me.

That is certainly your choice. Until Carnival adds it to the fare that will be the case.

Thank you, I'm glad they have added that sentence in an attempt to clarify what is meant by "dining room services". It has not always been there, so I didn't notice it. I now believe the intent of the policy is for the $6.10 to cover all dining options.

I personally don't agree with the policy as someone could dine at Lido all week and pay the same gratuity as someone who dined in the MDR every meal. Obviously, the levels of service would be different (consider also the extreme example of ordering room service every meal and cash tipping for the delivery). There are also the issues with the "double tip" when paying auto gratuity at other dining venues.

I still wish they would just tweak the wording of the policy. It doesn't completely clear up the ambiguity, as it conflicts with the wording of "dining room services" and it is arguable whether alternate services covers the other dining options (although it does only specifically mention "kitchen staff members"). Again, this could all be cleared up with a simple change to the wording of the policy, rather than adding what appears to be an explanatory statement.

Thank you, I'm glad they have added that sentence in an attempt to clarify what is meant by "dining room services". It has not always been there, so I didn't notice it. I now believe the intent of the policy is for the $6.10 to cover all dining options.

I personally don't agree with the policy as someone could dine at Lido all week and pay the same gratuity as someone who dined in the MDR every meal. Obviously, the levels of service would be different (consider also the extreme example of ordering room service every meal and cash tipping for the delivery). There are also the issues with the "double tip" when paying auto gratuity at other dining venues.

I still wish they would just tweak the wording of the policy. It doesn't completely clear up the ambiguity, as it conflicts with the wording of "dining room services" and it is arguable whether alternate services covers the other dining options (although it does only specifically mention "kitchen staff members"). Again, this could all be cleared up with a simple change to the wording of the policy, rather than adding what appears to be an explanatory statement.

Agree

I think they're making this stuff up as they go along. When they added $1 to tips, it was explained as alternative dining on the Lido. Meanwhile I always maintained you can't eat in two places at once. We never ate in the Lido when we could have our meals served to us. That's when we returned to cash tips as it was no longer for our convenience.

But to think I would tip the same in a place I served myself, vs a meal served to me? They have another thing coming.

• 3 weeks later...

We had the chefs table a couple days ago (4/20/16) on the Sunshine. We were told $75 per person and not told plus 15% gratuity when we booked, just a $150 charge (2 people). After the meal they handed us our pictures but did not take a card or pass out things to sign, so we did not have the option to tip extra unless we had cash on us. They just said Thank you so much have a good night, and people started leaving, so I guessed the papers were never coming. We were not charged until today (4/22) on our sail and sign cards, it finally appeared this morning as something like $172. Not complaining, just informing.

We had the chefs table a couple days ago (4/20/16) on the Sunshine. We were told $75 per person and not told plus 15% gratuity when we booked, just a $150 charge (2 people). After the meal they handed us our pictures but did not take a card or pass out things to sign, so we did not have the option to tip extra unless we had cash on us. They just said Thank you so much have a good night, and people started leaving, so I guessed the papers were never coming. We were not charged until today (4/22) on our sail and sign cards, it finally appeared this morning as something like $172. Not complaining, just informing.

Did you get a letter about it in your cabin before the CT?

Did you get a letter about it in your cabin before the CT?

You're right. I just checked the letter, and it has at the very bottom:

*Please note an automatic 15% gratuity will be added to your sail and sign card'

We didn't get the letter until past midnight the day before (so technically the day of), so I had forgotten about it, since we had already called to confirm we were on the list since we hadn't gotten our letter.

That being said, they made no mention of it when we signed up, and the letter also says they will charge $25 if we cancel within 24 hours, and as noted, the letter wasn't delivered until 24 hours in advance, so at that point we were paying $25 each at least.

Again, I am not complaining, I was planning on tipping extra anyway, which is really the only reason I noticed, because we didn't get the paper to sign for the charge. However I do think people should be informed beforehand (with enough time beforehand to decide if they want to do it, without being charged). So hopefully most people who sign up will read about the new policy.

You're right. I just checked the letter, and it has at the very bottom:

*Please note an automatic 15% gratuity will be added to your sail and sign card'

We didn't get the letter until past midnight the day before (so technically the day of), so I had forgotten about it, since we had already called to confirm we were on the list since we hadn't gotten our letter.

That being said, they made no mention of it when we signed up, and the letter also says they will charge $25 if we cancel within 24 hours, and as noted, the letter wasn't delivered until 24 hours in advance, so at that point we were paying $25 each at least.

Again, I am not complaining, I was planning on tipping extra anyway, which is really the only reason I noticed, because we didn't get the paper to sign for the charge. However I do think people should be informed beforehand (with enough time beforehand to decide if they want to do it, without being charged). So hopefully most people who sign up will read about the new policy.

I was just wondering as I had read others had gotten the letter with the new policy at the bottom. Thanks for the reply.

I was just wondering as I had read others had gotten the letter with the new policy at the bottom. Thanks for the reply.

Letter or no letter, it is WRONG to now state the tip, once included, is now added, as opposed to raising the price.

That makes it a triple tip. No wonder people remove them now. It's out of hand.

Letter or no letter, it is WRONG to now state the tip, once included, is now added, as opposed to raising the price.

That makes it a triple tip. No wonder people remove them now. It's out of hand.

If it makes you feel better I can change the words for you.

I am sure as our friend alludes to, there will be posts on whether tip was included partially included or not included. All immaterial now as they will add it (as it should be). Still a very enjoyable way to spend an evening.

Why should a tip be included? What happened to the days of tipping because you got good service?

I wouldn't dine anywhere that forces a tip on me. And I was once a waiter and Bartender who relied on tips. But I damn well earned them.