Gem - credit card hold vs. Cash account

djpk2003

Hoping someone who has recently sailed on the Gem can tell me about the credit card hold OR experience with a cash account. Cruising with family members who have no credit cards and want to avoid use of their debit card for obvious reasons. After calling NCL we were told in order to do a cash account they need to put down $450 per person?!? We have the excursions booked, gratuities and DSC paid in full, and a drink package. Seems crazy that we would need that kind of money.

In terms of a CC hold, how much do they hold and for how long? Or is it just having the card on file to charge as purchases are made? Thanks in advance, this is throwing some major stress into things for our party of newbies and NCL customer support was less than helpful or sympathetic.

Hoping someone who has recently sailed on the Gem can tell me about the credit card hold OR experience with a cash account. Cruising with family members who have no credit cards and want to avoid use of their debit card for obvious reasons. After calling NCL we were told in order to do a cash account they need to put down $450 per person?!? We have the excursions booked, gratuities and DSC paid in full, and a drink package. Seems crazy that we would need that kind of money.

In terms of a CC hold, how much do they hold and for how long? Or is it just having the card on file to charge as purchases are made? Thanks in advance, this is throwing some major stress into things for our party of newbies and NCL customer support was less than helpful or sympathetic.

They put a $300 hold on our credit card that disappeared when the final charge was put through. Our friend that sailed with us put $152 down on her account. We had prepaid the service charges and had all excursion booked.

I've gotten a lot of different answers when asking this same question in another forum. We are going in May and have 2 rooms booked one with me and dh and the other minor children. Trying to find our best option.

They actually cannot force you to put a penny down.

However to be realistic just figure out your unused credit amount on your credit card and be sure you have enough there

Call the credit card company not only to advise them of your travel plans but to also ask them to raise your credit limit if need be

Also it appears you may be a newish cruiser so make sure to bring 2 cards....one for ports and one for ship use

Also cash for port use

Never use debit cards and honestly why would anyone hand over greenbacks anyway? Credit cards are the best and IMHO the only viable way to travel.

Edited by luvtheships

I've gotten a lot of different answers when asking this same question in another forum. We are going in May and have 2 rooms booked one with me and dh and the other minor children. Trying to find our best option.

Are you sure one of you isn't booked with the minor kids?

Are the rooms connecting?

Are you planning on giving the minor children charging privileges?

Are they 15 or are they 5?

If they aren't getting charging rites then insist that Ncl only put a hold for the 2 adults

In my vast life experience it pays to be direct and to the point with those on the other side of the desk.....

Just say the kids are not getting charging rites so only the adults.....

Then confirm they understand exactly what you mean. And confirm again. Lol

Edited by luvtheships

Nope.....just don't hand over that much

Just go to guest services after you board to put down as much Or as little as you want

It doesn't look like you will spend much onboard anyway as you are mostly prepaid

Just do not hand over the excess cash

They will not search your pockets to take it from you.

Personally I would go to the Ncl website for this info and look to see if a specific amount is specified

It's likely you will find a specific amount stated BUT you will also see that it does NOT say required

I would print out any info you find there you feel appropriate.....especially the part where it doesn't say required but says MAY

You need to recognize that those amounts stated do not reflect the situation where a pax has prepaid everything and has many freebies

Also remember Ncl has an interest in holding you card or credit card hostage even if you did prepay everything......

The $250 smoking penalty is probably the main thing they are concerned about.

Edited by luvtheships

I've done all 3 types of payment, cc,debit and cash. If using a cc they usually put a 300 hold at check in and hold more as your spending increases.I had 3 holds put on my most recent cruise during the week, $95,$56, $109 . They just want to know that you have available credit to cover your spending. They were all gone by Tuesday after the cruise and the final bill was there. Same thing for my debit card but it all depends on your bank. I also separate my son from our account and use a cash account for him .You can put as little or as much as you like at the front desk, If you have everything pre paid you will only need to have enough to cover the drink tax while on port and any onboard purchases like dining ,spa,gift shops. .If you use cash and if you go over your deposit they will let you know and you will have to deposit more . Hope this helps

Ok I did some Ncl website research and it appears the $450 is for longer cruises

It also says cash deposits MAY be placed on your onboard acct

It DOES NOT say MUST

There is your answer.....

So put down whatever you want

• 2 weeks later...

We returned 4/1. I am not a credit card person, I'm a debit card person. I brought a credit card and they held $300 for my whole cabin (2 adults, 2 kids). I asked at check in and was told that if I wanted to do cash, I would've had to leave a minimum of $450 for the cabin.

edited to say that my onboard charges were only $65. The $300 hold was lifted on 3/30, a $65 charge appeared 4/1.

Edited by gikkeroo

We returned 4/1. I am not a credit card person, I'm a debit card person. I brought a credit card and they held $300 for my whole cabin (2 adults, 2 kids). I asked at check in and was told that if I wanted to do cash, I would've had to leave a minimum of $450 for the cabin.

edited to say that my onboard charges were only $65. The $300 hold was lifted on 3/30, a $65 charge appeared 4/1.

The $450 is a recommnedation only, as mentioned above one can put down less.

I have used cash my last 4 cruises, only because they put crazy holds on my credit cards and I have had only issues when giving any cruise line a credit card.

Heres what NCL is looking for:

1. they want a deposit that is at minimum equal to the total gratuities. No, they are not going to let you get out of paying for that! Half the time if you prepay, they still do not show it on your account, so it has been easier to just bring the cash and give it to them after you check in.

2. any money you would like to spend on board, you have to use your cruise id card. NO money = no buying anything

The best thing to do if using cash, is to write up a budget and include your gratuities. At check in, give them the gratuities and half of what you think your going to spend. You can look up your account at anytime to see your charges. If you need to add more money, you can add it at anytime. If you have kids, block their spending, or you could easily end up with charges from the arcade, coffee shop, ice cream shop, gift shop...lol!

At times when I have given more than I have spent, I have always been able to get cash back on the last evening of the cruise.

Don't sweat it! they will be happy to take your cash:D

Figure on a couple of hundred per at least - if you do zero spending on board, that should cover it- if you spend down that couple of hundred, they will cut off all spending until you put up more. That is why it is so much easier to use a credit card - but make sure the kids are either responsible or do not have spending privileges. While you may have paid gratuities, I think you will still be charged for tips on your drinks - yes - even though you have the package.

Figure on a couple of hundred per at least - if you do zero spending on board, that should cover it- if you spend down that couple of hundred, they will cut off all spending until you put up more. That is why it is so much easier to use a credit card - but make sure the kids are either responsible or do not have spending privileges. While you may have paid gratuities, I think you will still be charged for tips on your drinks - yes - even though you have the package.

No, you will not be charged for tips on drinks if you have package. The 18% is charged up front as an add on to your fare if you have the "free" promotion package, except for suite and Haven passengers, who are not charged the 18% add on. If you purchase a package the 18% is added up front to your cost at the time you buy the package. Only passengers who do not have a drink package are charged 18% for each drink they have while on board.

Edited by njhorseman

When I chose the beverage package I'm quite certain I had to prepay the gratuites?

Whoever told you $450 each is out of their mind. You can leave as little as $50 each. My sister did that.

Whoever told you $450 each is out of their mind. You can leave as little as $50 each. My sister did that.

No, they aren't out of their mind, they are following their script. $450 per person is the recommended amount (and I believe it's the recommended amount for a 10 day cruise, for a 7 day I think it is $300). Of course the recommneded amount does not factor in pre-paid service charges and such.