What meds are available...

Just curious what types of meds are available on the ****...I know to pack some cold meds, pain relief, motion sickness, and any type of prescription meds...

But what if someone came I'll like with ear infection or something where a script was needed...do they have them available?

Bring ALL the stuff you MIGHT need. The ship doesn't have a lot.....unless you pay a fortune for it. If you need nasal spray, or antihistimines, or decongestants, or 1% cortisone creams, or tampons, or bandaids, or aspirin, or tylenol...BRING iT!

Doesn't take much space to bring a few of what you MIGHT need. And, it will save you BIG bucks and lots of time!

If you have a continuing problem, have your doctor write you and rX and fill it before you go.

Edited by cb at sea

They carry a range of antibiotics, which would be required for an ear infection. I get sinus infections when traveling, and on my last 2 cruises, I got a "Z" pack. I usually would bring azithromycin along, but I can't always get a prescription for it. I understand the caution by my clinic as antibiotics have been overused, however, I am prone to bronchitis and pneumonia.

Oh I have almost everything over the counter I can think of...my children are coming with us so they are who I have in the back of my mind....my 5 year old had a bad bought of strep that last over a month and took 3 antibiotics to finally get her some relief

They carry a range of antibiotics, which would be required for an ear infection. I get sinus infections when traveling, and on my last 2 cruises, I got a "Z" pack. I usually would bring azithromycin along, but I can't always get a prescription for it. I understand the caution by my clinic as antibiotics have been overused, however, I am prone to bronchitis and pneumonia.

Thank you for your reply, that's comforting...my daughter has had a rough winter with strep

A number of the replies on this thread are mentioning antibiotics that you can only get from a visit to the med center. Keep in mind that a visit to the med center is probably $250 or more. If there is anything at all that you may need in the way of over the counter or prescription drugs, bring them with you! We have some leftover prescription drugs like muscle relaxers or anti-inflammatories that I bring "just in case", as well as prednisone in case my asthma kicks in. We always bring a small "first aid" bag with basic stuff like sunburn spray, benadryl, band-aids, bactine for cuts, etc.

You can generally get dramamine for free outside the med center. I prefer Bonine, which is sold in the gift shop.

Kevin

In the mid-2000s I had to visit the medical facility on a ship. The care was great with one caveat: The Columbian doctor presicribed a drug that has not been used in the USA since 1975. I happen to have an a serious allergic reaction to the drug as a child, so I knew the name. The doctor said the drug was still being used in latin and south America.

The drug is completely safe. It was just discontunied in the USA because a better drug came out to replace it. It was a reminder to me that once I boarded the ship, I am no longer in the USA and need to pay close attention to things like medical care.

We always take anti vomiting drugs, anti diarrhea drugs, and an antibiotic with us as well as a variety of OTC drugs plus extra of our prescription drugs in case of delays. We do this on ALL trips, not just cruises. It gives us a feeling of being prepared just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app