Anyone know how NCL is CURRENTLY handling "suspected contraband"?

Jesyth

I'm about to go on a 16 day cruise. I'd like to bring an ACTUAL bottle of mouthwash with me - I use a medical/antiseptic one because of issues with poor wound healing due to medicine I take, so if I get any abrasions from crunchy food or biting my lip or whatever it helps keep things from getting infected. Most other cruise lines just go through your bags if they "suspect contraband" after screening, but most reports I saw dating a few years back say NCL instead pulls all suspect bags and then leaves you a note that you have to schlepp down to be part of the search process in the room designated for it because they won't open your bags without you. I have a dodgy injured ankle in a brace and don't want to deal with having to go down, stand in a line, and then haul my bag up by myself for my LEGIT mouthwash, after it passes their sniff test, or they see it is sealed or whatever it is that satisfies them.

Is this still the way they're doing business? I did see a couple posts from 2014ish that people sailing NCL who had stuff confiscated just found a note ala Carnival or RC style in their bag informing them of it. Can't see much about it since then.

Edit: Or if it varies ship to ship or port to port maybe? I'd think there policy would apply everywhere, but who knows.

Edited by Jesyth

Anything you think they might question I would take onboard with my carry on. Don't check it. That way if they choose to question you about it. Eg mouthwash you can show and explain as you're boarding. Then your checked baggage should arrive in your room as normal.

I won't have room in my carry on. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I fly with a ton of medication - like, an amount you wouldn't imagine, so it's pretty much that + my electronics, a set of clothes that fits. Literally. That's why I sadly won't be bringing any wine on. Additionally, I'll be flying in directly before the cruise, so won't be able to have it in my carryon and don't really want to go fishing in the airport.

As I said, I would really just appreciate if anyone knew how suspected issues were being handled currently and could answer my original question, or would like to share their recent experiences with it. :)

If it comes to it I just won't pack it. Or, possibly, ask them if since I wasn't smuggling anything and was clearly in an ankle brace, once they were done and had a chance, they wouldn't mind bringing the bag up. I saw where some people have had success with that tactic, too.

I won't have room in my carry on. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I fly with a ton of medication - like, an amount you wouldn't imagine, so it's pretty much that + my electronics, a set of clothes that fits. Literally. That's why I sadly won't be bringing any wine on. Additionally, I'll be flying in directly before the cruise, so won't be able to have it in my carryon and don't really want to go fishing in the airport.

As I said, I would really just appreciate if anyone knew how suspected issues were being handled currently and could answer my original question, or would like to share their recent experiences with it. :)

If it comes to it I just won't pack it. Or, possibly, ask them if since I wasn't smuggling anything and was clearly in an ankle brace, once they were done and had a chance, they wouldn't mind bringing the bag up. I saw where some people have had success with that tactic, too.

Yes I'm sure under the circumstances they would do that for you, particularly as you're not guilty.

I'm about to go on a 16 day cruise. I'd like to bring an ACTUAL bottle of mouthwash with me - I use a medical/antiseptic one because of issues with poor wound healing due to medicine I take, so if I get any abrasions from crunchy food or biting my lip or whatever it helps keep things from getting infected. Most other cruise lines just go through your bags if they "suspect contraband" after screening, but most reports I saw dating a few years back say NCL instead pulls all suspect bags and then leaves you a note that you have to schlepp down to be part of the search process in the room designated for it because they won't open your bags without you. I have a dodgy injured ankle in a brace and don't want to deal with having to go down, stand in a line, and then haul my bag up by myself for my LEGIT mouthwash, after it passes their sniff test, or they see it is sealed or whatever it is that satisfies them.

Is this still the way they're doing business? I did see a couple posts from 2014ish that people sailing NCL who had stuff confiscated just found a note ala Carnival or RC style in their bag informing them of it. Can't see much about it since then.

Edit: Or if it varies ship to ship or port to port maybe? I'd think there policy would apply everywhere, but who knows.

I've always brought mouthwash and never have had a problem. Looking back on it it's usually a new bottle of mouthwash so sealed, but that wasn't intentionally done.

What I would do is this. When you get off your flight, open your checked bag and put the set of clothes you have in your carry-on in the bag and put your mouthwash in your carry-on.

You seem to know how the issues are handled. You described it perfectly. Instead of making excuses about your carryon being full, get a bigger carry on or take two. It seems that instead of looking for solutions you are looking for reasons not to take your mouthwash on board.

While I do sympathize with OP, I do not understand why one little travel brand of new sealed mouthwash will not fit in the carryon or even in a pants pocket. Just no freakin way!! If I was that dependent on anything that small, I would, as a last resort, buy a clear roll of packing tape, put the SMALL mouthwash in a ziplock and tape it fast to the top of the carryon. At the airport, open the ziplock to show security,and at the dock, reopen the bag to show security there.

Omg this thread has to be a joke

I see veteran posters are falling for it though!

LolI'm surprised.

On the scale of stupid posts across the course of an average day, this one falls somewhere in the middle. So yeah, maybe a joke, but still a better question than at least half the crap the gets posted here every. single. day. Edited by LrgPizza

Not a joke, not a small bottle, I'm sure that wouldn't set off any concern (again, I use twice a day, I'll be traveling for 24 days total, cruise and not, it's the antiseptic orajel product with peroxide; mmmm yum. Not). I will already have two bags with me to board the ship, as I ALSO have to have a medical cooler carry bag.

*I know they don't "count as a carry on" but I still have to PHYSICALLY CARRY THEM ON, am traveling alone and in an ankle brace, recovering from reconstructive surgery complications to my foot and ankle. Possibly with a cane. I also may require assisted boarding - so I'd have to be able to fit anything on my lap. I did not, however, think all of that was pertinent to getting an answer, so didn't feel the need to originally elaborate, since I wasn't asking for advice on how to pack my bags or what to take. - Sorry to anyone who thought I needed to offer all of this information (the same people I imagine would then be like "wow oversharing!" seen enough of this forum for that, lol) or who, now having it, still can't connect the dots regarding carrying weight under those circumstances, mobility issues, and logistics. Usually I require two carryon bags (backpack and a large strap bag or small roller) for international trips just to get my actually necessary things to my trip - and that's without the cooler. I assure you, I would much prefer to travel light and desperately miss the days of being able to do so. I've already had to cut non-essential things out of y carryon pile that I would prefer not to check but will have to. There is simply not enough space. Especially since I see others now after looking it up suggesting putting ANY full sized toiletries in your carry on because cruise ships are "onto them all".. lol. I'll have shampoo and things too. Real bottles. In my checked luggage. It is what it is. :rolleyes: But that's why I wanted to know how NCL was handling it at present.

As to someone asking about why wasting bag weight - I wind up with plenty of extra weight in my checked baggage. I am not currently supposed to lift more than 35 pounds unless absolutely necessary, so while I prefer to travel light and can usually cram everything into one big bag, that's not a choice for me at the moment. It's actually better to have your bags as full as possible - thinking of stuffing a few pillows in for the extra padding. can't wear dressy shoes or things that typically suck up the weight, any cosmetics, scented hair items etc - things where women lose a lot of their weight allocation. And much PREFER to travel light.

Thank you to those of you who at least attempted to answer the question or provide helpful advice without the attitude :)

To those of you who seem to "not get it" I read endlessly that full sized mouthwash sets off their contraband indicator sometimes - as now do full sized bottles of shampoo conditioner etc because of people smuggling liquor or wine or whatever on. The reason I was alerted to this issue at all was that a friend of mine who frequently cruises was giving me "what to take" tips and was like "make sure you get your booze on in the mouthwash!" which led to me looking it up, and viola. I guess it's a big concern and NCL cracks down on it harder than most lines. Hence why I wish they'd just open my bag and check anything they were worried about but obviously, I can't dictate how they do business and I know some people have kittens over people "touching their stuff!!!" and get all indignant so I'm sure that's why they do it this way.

Sorry some people feel the need to reply solely to be rude and snarky but alas, the curse of the web forum. If you couldn't simply answer the question - is it still NCL's policy to call everyone down or are they just checking bags now if they see something "suspicious"? Or, as some did, at least attempt to be useful, I'm not sure why you would waste your time instead of rolling your eyes and moving along at what you perceived as stupidity. Oh well! Hope you have a delightful day anyway :D

Edited by Jesyth

Seems like you have a lot going on.

Maybe try contacting the access desk for assistance with all of your medical needs (coolers, prescriptions, mobility etc)

In order to make your cruise experience as enjoyable as possible and so that we can try to meet your specific needs, call 1-866-584-9756 (voice), fax (305) 468-2171, send an email to accessdesk@ncl.com or have your travel agent contact us.

I contacted special needs :) I already have arrangements for on board medical fridge and so on. That's how I found out I would have the option of wheelchair assisted boarding if my foot was especially bad that day after the airports, but that I would need to be able to fit all of my carry-on in my lap if I did require a wheelchair transfer onto the ship. Inclines can be especially difficult with my situation - worse than stairs. So we'll see. I am going to suck it up and feel like a loser and let them assist me in my Atlanta connection because that airport is horrific, so hopefully I won't be completely miserable by the time I get into Houston. But the pressure changes can be very uncomfortable/aggravating.

I contacted special needs :) I already have arrangements for on board medical fridge and so on. That's how I found out I would have the option of wheelchair assisted boarding if my foot was especially bad that day after the airports, but that I would need to be able to fit all of my carry-on in my lap if I did require a wheelchair transfer onto the ship. Inclines can be especially difficult with my situation - worse than stairs. So we'll see. I am going to suck it up and feel like a loser and let them assist me in my Atlanta connection because that airport is horrific, so hopefully I won't be completely miserable by the time I get into Houston. But the pressure changes can be very uncomfortable/aggravating.

Notify the airline that you need wheelchair assistance.

This can be very tricky IF one is traveling alone and cannot easily get to the ticket counter (but there are ways to deal with that, too).

You'll be asked to wait, and then someone with a wheelchair will show up, and you can put your meds on your lap (precious cargo!), and the attendant can usually assist with other carryons. Some newer airport-style wheelchairs are designed differently, and have a nice shelf for those things.

You'll be helped all the way to the door of the plane, and probably get asked if you can walk down the aisle of the plane. (There is a narrow little rolling chair that can be used for those who cannot, on most planes.)

And a wheelchair will be waiting for you upon arrival, to reverse the process.

These services are there for those who need them, and you definitely sound like someone who would benefit greatly.

Have a pleasant/better flight!

Notify the airline that you need wheelchair assistance.

This can be very tricky IF one is traveling alone and cannot easily get to the ticket counter (but there are ways to deal with that, too).

You'll be asked to wait, and then someone with a wheelchair will show up, and you can put your meds on your lap (precious cargo!), and the attendant can usually assist with other carryons. Some newer airport-style wheelchairs are designed differently, and have a nice shelf for those things.

You'll be helped all the way to the door of the plane, and probably get asked if you can walk down the aisle of the plane. (There is a narrow little rolling chair that can be used for those who cannot, on most planes.)

And a wheelchair will be waiting for you upon arrival, to reverse the process.

These services are there for those who need them, and you definitely sound like someone who would benefit greatly.

Have a pleasant/better flight!

I know Geezer, thank you. I think my post was confusing - I contacted the airline about airport assistance in Atlanta; that is all booked and good to go and I know how it works (I don't need help actually getting down the walkway to the plane, only to the gate, fortunately, and then I just sit and wait for pre-board since I may be moving slow). I am okay in Houston as I won't be in a hurry. If it turns out it is in terrible pain and I need help, I have plenty of time to make the cruise and can wait on someone to bring a chair to my gate. They said they CAN carry one of my bags for me/help with bags etc, as you said.

I contacted special needs for NCL - that's where the rub is with carryon. They are evidently quite adamant that the people who perform the assisted wheelchair boarding are not allowed to touch ANY of your bags AT ALL I assume it is due to liability because they are not cleared/trained for baggage handling and they are terminal workers, not ship staff. That's how it seems, anyway. I plan to post about my experience through the whole cruise to the disability board afterwards, once I know how things turned out.

Thank you guys for being kind :)