Travelling with a child that is not mine question

Hello,

I have a question hopefully someone will be able to answer. Sorry if this is lengthy. This is my first cruise and I taking my 11 year old niece with me. I have read a few things on the Know before you cruise section on RCCL's website that have caused me to panic a little. So just for knowledge purposes, I have her birth certificate and I am getting her mother to sign a notarized travel letter for her, however, her mother and her have different last names. Her mother still has the same last name as it is on the birth certificate (she married but is divorced and she never changed her name), but she gave her daughter the last name of her father who is not in her life. There is no father on the BC. If I am unable to get a passport in time for her can she board the ship and even fly with just her BC and travel letter? I know they recommend a passport at all times and I am working on that but just for piece of mind if I don't get it can I just use the BC even though her and her mother have different last names?

Hopefully I explained it right!

Thank You,

Elaine

Yikes. It makes things so difficult when kids have different last names from their parents, especially in this case since she gave the daughter the Dad's last name even though she didn't put the dad on the birth certificate ��

I think you'll be ok though, as long as the mom writes a letter giving you permission, and makes sure it is notarized. Then, be sure that the current last name she uses has a trail to the name on the birth certificate, which you will need to bring with you if the daughter doesn't get a passport (if she does, bring the passport). I think you said Mom still has the same last name, but you said some stuff about new marriage etc so I'm not sure I followed or if there was a reason for mentioning that other than to complicate the story, (does the new marriage mean her name has changed or that the paper trail to the birth certificate changed? Did new husband adopt daughter?) I hope I followed the story properly so im not giving you wrong info.

Edit: in hindsight I don't think it matters if the new husband adopted or if mom changed her name etc. As long as one parent gives permission you're fine, just make sure there's a paper trail to show mom, who signs the notarized letter, is the same person on the birth certificate (or passport). Dad and new husband don't matter, so it doesn't matter that dad isn't on the bit th certificate. That will actually make it easier for mom to get her a passport.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

So no dad's name on the birth certificate and dad is not in child's life. That is good because that means you don't also need to get his permission to take the child out of the country. Just another pain to get through.

We took a friend of our son this year on our trip. Not enough time to get a passport, so he traveled on his BC and as he was 16 had his learner's permit with a photo. I had all the needed documents, notarized letter and such and was a basketcase until we checked in. They didn't even glance at the letter.

By having her BC and the letter from the mom, notarized with the girls full given name and mom's full legal name and I think you will be fine. Double check the webpage Royal has on this: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=322&faqSubjectName=Before+You+Purchase+&faqId=2702

Yikes. It makes things so difficult when kids have different last names from their parents, especially in this case since she gave the daughter the Dad's last name even though she didn't put the dad on the birth certificate ��

I think you'll be ok though, as long as the mom writes a letter giving you permission, and makes sure it is notarized. Then, be sure that the current last name she uses has a trail to the name on the birth certificate, which you will need to bring with you if the daughter doesn't get a passport (if she does, bring the passport). I think you said Mom still has the same last name, but you said some stuff about new marriage etc so I'm not sure I followed or if there was a reason for mentioning that other than to complicate the story, (does the new marriage mean her name has changed or that the paper trail to the birth certificate changed? Did new husband adopt daughter?) I hope I followed the story properly so im not giving you wrong info.

Edit: in hindsight I don't think it matters if the new husband adopted or if mom changed her name etc. As long as one parent gives permission you're fine, just make sure there's a paper trail to show mom, who signs the notarized letter, is the same person on the birth certificate (or passport). Dad and new husband don't matter, so it doesn't matter that dad isn't on the bit th certificate. That will actually make it easier for mom to get her a passport.

Thank You! Yes I'm sorry I just added it to complicate the story further. New marriage doesn't matter Mom's name never changed. Mom's name is the same as it is on the child's birth Certificate. Why she gave her the father's last name and then did not put him on the birth certificate I do not know. It's weird but I want her to get a passport but her mom travels a lot and catching up with her is hard so as we get closer to the travel date I was getting worried because I knew I could always use her birth certificate since she was still a minor until I read something about mom and child having different last names needing a passport. But I think that is pertaining to parents who are now married with a different last name that is not reflected on the birth certificate.

Thank You! Yes I'm sorry I just added it to complicate the story further. New marriage doesn't matter Mom's name never changed. Mom's name is the same as it is on the child's birth Certificate. Why she gave her the father's last name and then did not put him on the birth certificate I do not know. It's weird but I want her to get a passport but her mom travels a lot and catching up with her is hard so as we get closer to the travel date I was getting worried because I knew I could always use her birth certificate since she was still a minor until I read something about mom and child having different last names needing a passport. But I think that is pertaining to parents who are now married with a different last name that is not reflected on the birth certificate.

From the cruise line's website:

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child’s valid passport and visa (if required) and the child’s birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation. Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child’s valid passport and visa or the child’s birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child’s parents. The notarized letter from the child’s parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/travelDocumentation.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=4&snav=5#usport

You should be fine with the original birth certificate (not the hospital footprint fake birth certificate) and original notarized letter. You do have time for a passport if it works with the Mom's work schedule.

We've brought the kid's friends along on cruises a few times. Never had problem. As long as they have proper ID you shouldn't have any trouble. Like previously stated a passport would be the best option though.

Very surprised you didn't need a notarized letter providing permission to travel from the parents along with permission for medical treatment in an emergency. If nothing more it just makes good sense for travel out of the country.

If that information wasn't required it is absolutely good advice to have that as well as proper ID. We've had that in the past and it was noted at check in.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Very surprised you didn't need a notarized letter providing permission to travel from the parents along with permission for medical treatment in an emergency. If nothing more it just makes good sense for travel out of the country.

If that information wasn't required it is absolutely good advice to have that as well as proper ID. We've had that in the past and it was noted at check in.

I agree with you about the letter!!

On the last two cruises we took with our granddaughter (Royal & Disney), we not only had to produce the letter at check in on both ships but was also asked for it again by the Customs agent as we got off the Disney cruise.

I have similar questions. We are taking my son and his cousin on a cruise this Summer. We have all got our passport cards taken care of, but what is this letter everyone is talking about? It makes sense to have something like that, just need to know what it is supposed to say. And what about waivers for the zip line, Flo-rider, etc. is that a separate thing or should it be mentioned in letter that he has permission to do those things. Thanks!

Edited by redwing123

As part of the notarized letter for permission to travel and medical treatment we had the family give us permission to sign the waivers for the flowrider, rock wall and so forth and I did it electronically from the website with no problem at all.

I have similar questions. We are taking my son and his cousin on a cruise this Summer. We have all got our passport cards taken care of, but what is this letter everyone is talking about? It makes sense to have something like that, just need to know what it is supposed to say. And what about waivers for the zip line, Flo-rider, etc. is that a separate thing or should it be mentioned in letter that he has permission to do those things. Thanks!

See the last paragraph:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=329&faqSubjectName=Cruise+Documents&faqId=2814

I agree with you about the letter!!

On the last two cruises we took with our granddaughter (Royal & Disney), we not only had to produce the letter at check in on both ships but was also asked for it again by the Customs agent as we got off the Disney cruise.

We also had to present the letter at Adventure Ocean for our Grandson

I am cruising with my daughter and granddaughter next month. Her last name is different than her Moms so we got a notarized letter from the father giving us permission to take her on the cruise. I would rather have it and not need it than possibly risk being turned away at the port!

Happy cruising!!!