Inviting another solo friend along

Mary49

I don't know if you just want Lois' input, but I think if she is phoning, she is going to try and coerce you into something, or try to make you feel bad. I would ignore the call.

Oh no, mef57, any advice from you guys is good enough for me. I just know that Lois is a SENIOR, SENIOR on these boards. Please feel free. I was thinking of ignoring the call as well. We are not really close friends at all. I had met her on a cruise a couple of years ago and we did a cruise just last year but she is terrible for the money situation even though she will say I rather pay you instead of carnival. I don't trust that because I know I won't see anything. So I just wouldn't feel bad if we don't keep in touch anymore. She is just not my cup of tea. Mary49

No sure how SR I am:eek:.......but anyway, I agree with the other folks....

just leave it be.....you already emailed her that you cancelled the cruise.

No sure how SR I am:eek:.......but anyway, I agree with the other folks....

just leave it be.....you already emailed her that you cancelled the cruise.

Lois, I meant that has a compliment. I have always followed you on this section. You give very good sound advice. Love reading them. Thanks again.

Edited by Mary49

I agree. Let this pass. I know you must feel hurt. There are all kinds a people in this world. This person was not someone who was considerate or a friend.

There will be many new cruises to plan and enjoy.

Lois, I meant that has a compliment. I have always followed you on this section. You give very good sound advice. Love reading them. Thanks again.

Yeah just ignore the call. I'm sure she will try to con her way into another trip or give you some type of sob story as to what's going on and she will promise again to pay you back. Enjoy your trip solo.

If she has a positive reason for calling you then she will call again.

I agree that it wouldn't be a good idea to call her back.

If she does manage to speak to you, I'm sure you'll stay strong. We'll all be whispering in your ear!

This reminds me of a situation I had a while back when a friend called me up and said hey I have an extra ticket to the game tomorrow, wanna go? Of course I was like yeah! He said great the ticket is 125 bucks and the awkward moment set in. Ahhhh.... From my perspective I though he was inviting me to join him as his guest because he had an "extra" ticket whereas he saw it as selling a seat. I would have surely offered to buy a couple of round of beers or food as thanks for bringing me but paying that much to see a football game is not in my budget so I declined..

The round about point is if you invited her to come with, I could see where it is seen as a free trip in her mind. Then to be nice she offered to throw in a "couple of dollars". You need to make it clear up front that she needs to pay her half. Give her an actual amount "The trip will cost us each X amount by this date" With that said I get the feeling she is trying to work you over for a free trip by avoiding putting cash down trying to get you to foot the bill all the while offering to put something in but not intending to :(. It is really sad when people take advantage of others. I think you did the right thing by just canceling the trip and getting out of that situation.

This.

If she came along with you last time and didn't have to pay, I can see why she may have thought it was the same situation this time unless you clearly said when you invited her, "If you'd like to join me, your half of the fare will be $xxx."

I usually cruise solo these days and I asked a friend to come along with me on my next cruise. There are no studio cabins on the ship so I have to pay double occupancy and this is something I want to do for her. When I asked her to come, she said she would pay for half. But, I told her I want only the port fees and taxes for her since that's the only increase in cost to me. But, if I'd expected her to pay for half the cruise, I would have clearly said that to her when I invited her.

There are definitely people who will try to take advantage of you if you let them. And if you do let them then they will try again. As long it works for them, they'll keep doing it.

I think it was the right decision on your part to cancel the cruise. Personally, I'd call her back and see what she has to say. She can't coerce you into doing something unless you let her. If you want to continue the friendship with her, then call her and hash it out. Explain to her that you expected her to pay for half the cruise and it appeared she wasn't going to do that so you were concerned you'd have to pay for the whole thing. I'll bet she'll say something like that she thought it was the same as last time and since you were paying double occupancy you were just offering the second spot to her. If you don't want to continue the friendship with her, then go ahead and ignore her phone call if that's the way you'd like to handle it.

This.

If she came along with you last time and didn't have to pay, I can see why she may have thought it was the same situation this time unless you clearly said when you invited her, "If you'd like to join me, your half of the fare will be $xxx."

I usually cruise solo these days and I asked a friend to come along with me on my next cruise. There are no studio cabins on the ship so I have to pay double occupancy and this is something I want to do for her. When I asked her to come, she said she would pay for half. But, I told her I want only the port fees and taxes for her since that's the only increase in cost to me. But, if I'd expected her to pay for half the cruise, I would have clearly said that to her when I invited her.

There are definitely people who will try to take advantage of you if you let them. And if you do let them then they will try again. As long it works for them, they'll keep doing it.

I think it was the right decision on your part to cancel the cruise. Personally, I'd call her back and see what she has to say. She can't coerce you into doing something unless you let her. If you want to continue the friendship with her, then call her and hash it out. Explain to her that you expected her to pay for half the cruise and it appeared she wasn't going to do that so you were concerned you'd have to pay for the whole thing. I'll bet she'll say something like that she thought it was the same as last time and since you were paying double occupancy you were just offering the second spot to her. If you don't want to continue the friendship with her, then go ahead and ignore her phone call if that's the way you'd like to handle it.

Hi and thank you. The first time it was already paid up and she still insisted on giving me or mailing some checks to me. I never saw anything. This time Carnival split the bill for her but she hasn't paid up anything not even a deposit which I did. She was still insisting on giving ME the money but I told her that she should pay it to Carnival but she hasn't. I guess I was getting nervous about the whole thing and knew I wasn't going to see anything. Even though she kept saying she was going to pay me this time; I don't believe her anymore soo I cancelled the cruise and just emailed her. No reply on the email. So I'm glad I cancelled. I almost was going to go the other way and just pay for my part of the bill and hopefully she would have had to give Carnival something or I would have gotten my room anyway without her. But was afraid she would have said to me that she would pay me later. How could she do this? I just don't know about people. So that's the end of it. She is not a close friend anyway so I won't miss her. I just don't like IOUs.

Edited by Mary49

Hi and thank you. The first time it was already paid up and she still insisted on giving me or mailing some checks to me. I never saw anything. This time Carnival split the bill for her but she hasn't paid up anything not even a deposit which I did. She was still insisting on giving ME the money but I told her that she should pay it to Carnival but she hasn't. I guess I was getting nervous about the whole thing and knew I wasn't going to see anything. Even though she kept saying she was going to pay me this time; I don't believe her anymore soo I cancelled the cruise and just emailed her. No reply on the email. So I'm glad I cancelled. I almost was going to go the other way and just pay for my part of the bill and hopefully she would have had to give Carnival something or I would have gotten my room anyway without her. But was afraid she would have said to me that she would pay me later. How could she do this? I just don't know about people. So that's the end of it. She is not a close friend anyway so I won't miss her. I just don't like IOUs.

She could do this because some people take advantage of others. As you said, you're not close. It looks like you're better off without her in your life anyway. Did you book another cruise? :D

Personally, I would not want to call her back because from what I can tell,

they are not "good friends"......I wouldn't call her back mainly because it

sounds like it could be quite confrontational and I don't like confrontations

(but that is just me).

She could do this because some people take advantage of others. As you said, you're not close. It looks like you're better off without her in your life anyway. Did you book another cruise? :D

Thank you and yes I just looked at the same cruise and it looks like the price dropped from $809 to $799 to Bermuda from NY. I think I will try for this again. Unless I wait a little longer to see what happens. I will keep checking though and keep you guys posted.

Personally, I would not want to call her back because from what I can tell,

they are not "good friends"......I wouldn't call her back mainly because it

sounds like it could be quite confrontational and I don't like confrontations

(but that is just me).

Hi Lois, I'm definitely finished with her. End of the drama. I don't like confrontations either and that's what I would be afraid of and end up hanging up on her....(lol).

Lois, did you go on your river cruise? How was it? Please let us know.:):)

Hi Lois, I'm definitely finished with her. End of the drama. I don't like confrontations either and that's what I would be afraid of and end up hanging up on her....(lol).

Lois, did you go on your river cruise? How was it? Please let us know.:):)

Hi Mary, yes I went a month ago.....it was in my top 2 cruises ever:)

Here is my review if you want to read it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2344645

Hi Mary, yes I went a month ago.....it was in my top 2 cruises ever:)

Here is my review if you want to read it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2344645

Hi Lois, I can almost here it in your voice when reading your review. What a wonderful trip it was for you. I guess you will be going again. (lol) I am so happy for you. Thanks for sharing.:):)

Hi Lois, I can almost here it in your voice when reading your review. What a wonderful trip it was for you. I guess you will be going again. (lol) I am so happy for you. Thanks for sharing.:):)

Thanks:)...it was in my top 2 cruises ever. And yes, I have booked

another one for next year:D (solo of course;)

I have to tell you, my sister and I are cruising together in October and

we are sharing a balcony cabin. It is the first time to share a cabin for me

in more than 10 years.....we are sailing out of Boston, going to New England

and Canada. It will be a new experience for both of us.......we get along

so hopefully everything will go well.:)...we have never cruised together

before.

Thanks:)...it was in my top 2 cruises ever. And yes, I have booked

another one for next year:D (solo of course;)

I have to tell you, my sister and I are cruising together in October and

we are sharing a balcony cabin. It is the first time to share a cabin for me

in more than 10 years.....we are sailing out of Boston, going to New England

and Canada. It will be a new experience for both of us.......we get along

so hopefully everything will go well.:)...we have never cruised together

before.

For a moment I thought you going to say from New York. I have done that cruise out of NY on Splendor a couple of times and it is a nice cruise. Also I think that October would be a good time to go. Enjoy your balcony and take pictures of it (lol)

By the way, I just re-booked my cruise again. Same one. I'm glad I did it.

For a moment I thought you going to say from New York. I have done that cruise out of NY on Splendor a couple of times and it is a nice cruise. Also I think that October would be a good time to go. Enjoy your balcony and take pictures of it (lol)

By the way, I just re-booked my cruise again. Same one. I'm glad I did it.[/quote

We are sailing on Serenade of the Seas.

Glad you re-booked:)

And I used to be a picture taker but lately not so much.

Hi Lois, just a quick question. Do you take out insurance for your cruises. I'm wondering about using like Carnival's insurance because you get your money back if you cancel at last minute.

I'm Medicare Age and United Health as my secondary plan. Would that be enough???? Thank you.

Hi Lois, just a quick question. Do you take out insurance for your cruises. I'm wondering about using like Carnival's insurance because you get your money back if you cancel at last minute.

I'm Medicare Age and United Health as my secondary plan. Would that be enough???? Thank you.

Hi Mary, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I cannot answer your

"is it enough" question though. What is enough for you as opposed to

someone else? I am sure it varies person to person.

Hi Mary:)...you emailed her......that is all you need to do....it is up to her

to check her mail.

I am glad you cancelled and whatever you book next? Hope you have

a great time:)

Hi, she is still trying to get in touch with me and I have been ignoring the calls. I hope she isn't thinking of harassing me a little now. I just don't want a confrontation on the phone with her. She should know by now that I don't want to talk to her. How dumb can she be or she must be trying to bother me into talking with her and I won't. You think that she would just drop it. I noticed that the calls on coming in about maybe twice a month. I don't think she will let this go....... Unless she wants me to have a fight over the phone???

Not me. Unless I email her and tell no more calls at my house??

Edited by Mary49

Are you asking me what to do? If you don't answer her she will probably

stop calling. Or yes, email her and tell her you have no interest in

traveling together and your life's plans have changed and then just

leave it alone.