Help with buying my husband a tuxedo

crucero-amante

Hello everyone!

I finally got my husband to agree to a cruise; :D normally I travel with a girlfriend of mine.

I would like some advice on tuxedos. I have been looking around the internet. I want a well made tuxedo. I want a stylish/cool looking one as well. I prefer natural fibers so I quess wool is the standard on that. I would really appreciate advice on whats a fair price, the best fabric weight and places to buy one. My husband is a pretty standard size guy and doesn't require specially made sizes.

Thank you in advance.

Jo

My husband bought his many years ago after our first cruise (has to be over 10 years). He bought a fairly good quality traditional tux at a men's shop similar to Men's Warehouse. They offer free lifetime alterations which he has used a couple of times. With cruises, dances (we ballroom dance), weddings, New Year's Eve parties, and the other occasional formal function, he has definitely gotten his money's worth. Over the years, he has added a dinner jacket and assorted vests, ties, and cummerbunds as well as different cuff links and studs. Now he is ready for any occasion that should pop up.

If you know your husband's size and he's a standard size, eBay can be a very good bargain. My DH is an odd size so we ended up using http://www.buy4lesstuxedo.com/ and got a very good deal. If you don't know what size, go to a local JC Penney or Men's Warehouse or even a tux rental place and at least get him measured and also see what styles he likes (shawl, nothch or peak collar, single or double breasted, number of buttons, it's mind bogling!). You may find a good deal there and you'll at least know what sizes and what styles to look for if you choose to look online instead.

I have to agree with hajekam. I could have written the post. My husband bought his Tux at Mens Wearhouse many years ago. The lifetime fittings are great and once when we travelled to Washington DC he popped into one there the day before a wedding we were attending and got his suit steamed/ pressed.

I would suggest trying on becasue I was amazed at the many choices. Some I may have picked did not look as well on as I would have thought. I think his was around $500. It has paid for itself the many times he has worn it!

Hi, My partner and I have both been looking for tuxes and have found that etuxedo.com is the best online so far. The have great tuxedo packages the give you everything you need, including shirt , tux, tie and cummerbund and cuff links, plus free shipping. We just went today to mens wearhouse and got fit to find out our sizes. They had a super 150 weight tux for me for $399.00. Online at etuxedo I can get a super 150 package for $134.99. Thats everytihng. Can't beat it. Plus they have real patent leather lace up shoes for 40 bucks. Check them out.

I forgot to mention that I am a tailor by trade. I cant make one for the price above. Also there is little differece between man made fibers and natural wool. Especially on a lower to medium price tux. The wool will be a lower quality and may not wear and look as well as a modern microfiber or blend. The modern technology of making man made fibers has really developed. Most are made by dupont which is a very reputable company. So I say it doesnt have to be 100% wool unless you just have to have wool. Thanks.

I surprised my husband with a tux last X-mas for our upcoming cruise in the spring. I was a little nervous about it but he loved it. I got it at Jos.A. Bank on-line. It was well made, wool and it fit perfectly - no alterations. It didn't come with shirt, tie, etc. and was definitely more expensive then a lot of other places that I looked but the quality and the fit were well worth the extra money. Good luck and have fun on your cruise.

If I take a suit that fits my husband to Jos A Banks lets say, can they measure that and get a good idea of his size? You see my husband has very little fashion sense. I want to pick something out that is of good quality, updated styling and that fits. That way he'll try it on, like the fit and it's a done deal.

Thanks again for all the help.

Jo

HI Crucero, Back to the subject of fabric. Wool is a great natural fiber choice. It is the most traditional from a historic point of view. The new Rayon/Blend or poly fabrics are just that new. If they would have had them over the course if history, they would have used them. Remember that you get what you pay for with wool. Its a natural hair just like ours. If it has been processed badly then just like our hair getting a bad dye job it will look bad. My next concern is that everyone should know that all of these big name national brands that have been mentioned on this site most likely use the same contractor. Meaning, they don't have their own factories. They call the contractor and say I want a tux in this price range. The contractor makes tuxes for lots of different companies. So no matter where you buy, theres only a hand full of contractors who make them. I would decide on my comfort lever and level of service. If you like the idea of having life long alterations then go with mens wearhouse. If you don't mind having to go for a few alterations when it comes if you need them, then onder online. Just remeber that a 400.00 tux from a chain is probably the same as a 150.00 tuxe online. You just pay for the alterations up front with the chain, their retail space, and personal service. Finally , since I am a tailor by trade and a man myself I realize how much some men dislike getting dressed up and having fittings. Just make sure the jacket fits the shoulder width, everything else can be altered in or out to fit better. The shoulders are the next to impossible to change on the modern suits and tuxes. All the guts inside are fused and glued, as opposed to tradional hand tailoring of a nice suit. You won't get any hand tailoring unless you spend $1000.00 or more. Hope this helps.

HI Crucero, Back to the subject of fabric. Wool is a great natural fiber choice. It is the most traditional from a historic point of view. The new Rayon/Blend or poly fabrics are just that new. If they would have had them over the course if history, they would have used them. Remember that you get what you pay for with wool. Its a natural hair just like ours. If it has been processed badly then just like our hair getting a bad dye job it will look bad. My next concern is that everyone should know that all of these big name national brands that have been mentioned on this site most likely use the same contractor. Meaning, they don't have their own factories. They call the contractor and say I want a tux in this price range. The contractor makes tuxes for lots of different companies. So no matter where you buy, theres only a hand full of contractors who make them. I would decide on my comfort lever and level of service. If you like the idea of having life long alterations then go with mens wearhouse. If you don't mind having to go for a few alterations when it comes if you need them, then onder online. Just remeber that a 400.00 tux from a chain is probably the same as a 150.00 tuxe online. You just pay for the alterations up front with the chain, their retail space, and personal service. Finally , since I am a tailor by trade and a man myself I realize how much some men dislike getting dressed up and having fittings. Just make sure the jacket fits the shoulder width, everything else can be altered in or out to fit better. The shoulders are the next to impossible to change on the modern suits and tuxes. All the guts inside are fused and glued, as opposed to tradional hand tailoring of a nice suit. You won't get any hand tailoring unless you spend $1000.00 or more. Hope this helps.

Thanks Jayl65, I will go and check out the different styles and fabric then order online. I really appreciate a "guys" perspective. One more question:confused: Besides getting a black tuxedo what do you think about also getting a white jacket? I want my husband to look good and have a couple of choices.

We are planning an 10 day cruise and there are 3 formal nights.

Thanks again for all your help.

Jo

Hi Jo, Looks like weve taken over this board. Anyway, I think a white jacket is a great idea. I'm taking a tux, white diner jacker, Black velvet tux jacket. I'll use the same pants for all three because I dont want to pack alot. I'l also take 2 styles of tux shirts and tie and cummerbund and vest. This way i can mix and match looks. Also I would look at ebay in the stores area. I checked today and you can get an entire package for a little over $100.00. And i also saw white dinner jackets for around 45.00. Also check the two vendors listed in earlier post. Good luck shopping. One last thing, try to get your husband into a menwear store to try on a tux jacket. This way you will know the size he needs. I just did this myself at Menswearhouse and it only took about 10 minutes. Easy!

Jamie

Jayl65, You will look great. The black velvet jacket sounds wonderful. What you are taking is exactly what I was thinking about. I love ebay and feel comfortable with that. So jacket size is the key and then the pants are easy. My husband is standard 34x32. One good thing is we have the shoes.

I'll post back and let you know how I'm doing with this.

I truly appreciate you posting back and helping me. When do you cruise? And where are you going?

We are going to the Caribbean 4/2006 and 4/2007

Jo

Thanks Jayl65, I will go and check out the different styles and fabric then order online. I really appreciate a "guys" perspective. One more question:confused: Besides getting a black tuxedo what do you think about also getting a white jacket? I want my husband to look good and have a couple of choices.

We are planning an 10 day cruise and there are 3 formal nights.

Thanks again for all your help.

Jo

A white dinner jacket is for summer only.

Thanks BlueHerons, your are right about A white diner jackek being worn only in the summer. The only exception is if you are someplace tropical. Then it can be worn all year long. We're going on a 10 day mexican riviera cruise so I won't wear mine until we are well down in mexico. If I were going to Alaska or transatlantic then I wound'nt wear it unless it were summer.

Jamie

Not many wear the white jackets, those that do look out of place and really stick out.

I would just either go with the cummrbund or nice colored printed vest or go without the vest or the cummerbund for the third formal night we were just on a 10 Night Cruise on Jewel of the Seas and they only had 2 formal nights.

Jimbo:)

Thanks for all of your opinions and advice.

Jamie- have fun on your cruise. I've been looking into the Mexican Riveria because we live in the S.W. and it would be pretty easy to leave out of LA or San Diego. I really want to do a 15 day to Hawaii out of LA.

Take care, Jo

A white dinner jacket is for summer only.

A dinner jacket does not have to be white. It can be off white or ivory. My husband has an off white dinner jacket (it is very close to ivory) and looks great in it year round. He works outside and always has a tan so it sets off the look quite well.

Not many wear the white jackets, those that do look out of place and really stick out.

I would not agree with that. We have seen a lot of dinner jackets on our cruises - especially those that are longer than 7 days. And those that do wear them, look quite handsome in a sea of black.

Jo, good luck shopping. I'm sure you will find somthing wonderful for your husband. Also, thanks to everyone for the backup on the white/ivory jacket debate. Somtimes I think we forget that we should just have fun. I live in the southwest also Jo in Santa Fe. Right now there are great buys for a 10 or 11 day Mexican riviera out of San Diego on Celebrity Mercury. Around $70.00 per day. Happy cruisng everyone. Jamie

Thank you hajekfam, I was afraid to comment because I started the post and I am in no way looking to offend anyone or start a long debate. I think a white dinner jacket looks very nice. I am thinking of an ivory one for my husband because I have a beautiful ivory dress that I want to wear on a formal night. We live in the southwest so my husband always has color as well. I tend to dress the way I like to dress. Granted I am in no way a fashion freak; but I would wear white/ivory in a sea of black and not give it a second thought.

Enjoy your day, Jo

Archived