Just back from the Danube!

acwmom

Just got back to the states following a 3 1/2 week trip. Drove 2500 km from Munich to Neuschwanstein to Herrenchiemsee to Salzburg to Berchtesgaden to Venice to Graz to Vienna to Prague and then on to Erlangen where we boarded the Viking Jarl to cruise to Budapest. Fantastic trip! I'll put together a video of the cruise when we get back to Vermont.

My wife met someone who had just completed a similar cruise with Uniworld and was told they only had 46 passengers on a longboat because tourism is down. Is this possible? The Jarl's capacity is 190 and I don't believe we had any empty cabins.

Hi Robin,

So I've been reading all these websites that say you should dress nice in Vienna and not to wear sneakers!

We're planning on going to Lugeck for dinner (hoping for better service!).

Any advice? I'm planning on wearing some black sketchers slip ons that actually don't look like tennis shoes and are comfy for sightseeing!

Chris

Hi Robin,

So I've been reading all these websites that say you should dress nice in Vienna and not to wear sneakers!....Any advice? I'm planning on wearing some black sketchers slip ons that actually don't look like tennis shoes and are comfy for sightseeing!

Chris

I don't know what websites you are looking at, but we were just there and I couldn't disagree more with what you read. It is just like any other city! Loved that stop!

Hi Robin,

So I've been reading all these websites that say you should dress nice in Vienna and not to wear sneakers!

We're planning on going to Lugeck for dinner (hoping for better service!).

Any advice? I'm planning on wearing some black sketchers slip ons that actually don't look like tennis shoes and are comfy for sightseeing!

Chris

We were there with jeans and were fine. That's what the locals were wearing, as well. Wear what you're comfortable in! I'm not one who pays attention to what others are wearing 99.9% of the time:-)

Since it was cooler when we were there, I wore some Clark's privo slip ons, but also had Sketcher's slip ons which did look like tennis shoes...they just weren't as comfortable as the Clarks.

Robin

Oh Good! Thanks to both of you! I'll just wear what works best packing wise!

Packing is going to be interesting...I'm realizing that it will be warm in Budapest but could be quite cold in Prague! If it was cold for you Robin, it could really be for us..we'll be there 9/2!

Chris

Packing is going to be interesting...I'm realizing that it will be warm in Budapest but could be quite cold in Prague! If it was cold for you Robin, it could really be for us..we'll be there 9/2!

Chris

Well be there a week after you and the weather predictions are for high of mid 70's and low high 50's so perfect touring weather.

Chris

We'll be in Prague on 9/21 and then on river cruise to Budapest. Anxious to hear what you ending up packing and using. I too read no jeans and sneakers. Please follow up and tell me what will work. Thanks.

We'll be in Prague on 9/21 and then on river cruise to Budapest. Anxious to hear what you ending up packing and using. I too read no jeans and sneakers. Please follow up and tell me what will work. Thanks.

Jeans and sneakers work in all of the ports. Layer your tops. You can go from sleeveless and then add a matching long sleeve over it. Make sure your sneakers don't have a smooth bottom you don't want to slip on the cobblestones. Also good cushioning because you are going to walk and walk. If you are planning to attend a concert in Vienna, then a simple dress and nice shoes would be in order.

Will do...

Thanks Got to...

Prague has already had lows in the mid 40's a couple of times this month!

Chris