Just back from the Danube!

acwmom

I hope this isn't too off topic. My daughter and I are going to Belgium in August. We are beer lovers. Can someone recommend some Belgian beers that are not to be missed? Thank you

It depends on whether you want something you can't get here, or, any. My favorite is Tripel Karmeliet. It is VERY different on tap, than from a bottle. I can get it in bottles here, but not on tap.

Ones I haven't had, but are on my list.....anything from Cantillon. And, one of the most difficult to obtain.....Westvlateren 12.

Enjoy your trip!

Robin

Our cruise ended on Saturday morning. Like JP's, we ended up several kilometers outside of historic downtown Passau. Our taxi ride to the train station was less than 15 euros.

Our train ride to Munich took about 2 hours. We booked first class, and are glad we did. The day we arrived in Munich, Bayern Munich was playing its biggest rival in soccer, it was the last weekend of Fruhlingsfest, it was the "endless night of music," and May Day was the next day......needless to say, it was crazy.

We arrived just before 11am, and took the local train to our hotel, which was only one block from the Marienplatz. We exited, and the Glockenspiel was playing.....what an arrival!

We dropped our bags at the hotel, and headed to the Residenz.

The grotto, at The Residenz:

27229201133_a64c8e08f4_c.jpg

27807024526_ebd3b418da_z.jpg

The antiquarium, i.e. really big dining room:

27765334381_42e5d8c764_z.jpg

27229406474_65d1f28b97_z.jpg

The fireplace in the antiquarium-I could have easily fit in it:

27740035392_d54fff9346_z.jpg

Omg there are four different types of Radler even! Aye aye aye

Thanks for talking about Munich also. I'm basically just going to be a " copy cat" and follow whatever you and JP did. I love CC lol

Edited by Got2Cruise

This is only about a block from the Marienplatz, if that, and about a block from our hotel. And, unlike smaller cities, where the market may be open only 1 or 2 days a week, this one was open every day but Sunday.

Because it was crazy crowded, we ate where we could!

27229460234_79048e48f4_c.jpg

The white asparagus was in season, plentiful, and pricey, both at the market, and restaurants:

27765465721_0c30c201ca_c.jpg

27765501601_45822fec6e_c.jpg

The May Pole:

27807227676_f6dc84b5af_z.jpg

Festive dressers-love the beard!

27563805950_154926f644_z.jpg

Omg there are four different types of Radler even! Aye aye aye

Thanks for talking about Munich also. I'm basically just going to be a " copy cat" and follow whatever you and JP did. I love CC lol

I had 2/4, both were excellent.

It looks like you leave soon-I only have a few days of photos left to post.

Looking forward to yours, on your return, and your impression of AMA, as I am considering giving them a try.

Robin

Thanks so much for the great photo review, Robin. Your photos brought back nice memories of our Danube cruise.

Liked your grotto photos ... wasn't the Residenz Museum fantastic - a nice surprise for us, as the building was rather unassuming on the outside; not like a palace?

Mary

Thanks so much for the great photo review, Robin. Your photos brought back nice memories of our Danube cruise.

Liked your grotto photos ... wasn't the Residenz Museum fantastic - a nice surprise for us, as the building was rather unassuming on the outside; not like a palace?

Mary

I'm enjoying your photos, as well. In fact, I had a lot of the same as you, from the Residenz, and didn't post them, because they were so similar!

More to come, shortly.

Robin

We decided to eat at the Ratskeller, beneath City Hall/The Glockenspiel. The place was HUGE! With so many in the city that night, we were afraid we would have a hard time finding somewhere to eat, but we were seated immediately.

The food was authentic German, and excellent.

I had the spicy sausages with potato pancake and braised cabbage with bacon:

27823723196_cf0426b7e1_z.jpg

We split the apple strudel, for dessert:

27580268300_7060bfd198_z.jpg

I think there are something like 16 different dining areas, in all. One huge kitchen and another smaller one. Also a pub, and outdoor seating.

27823762146_7b5c54d3cb_z.jpg

27756738222_bc22434518_z.jpg

At Dusk:

27756750402_67c826d927_z.jpg

After a fairly restless night (having a street view room, on the Endless Night of Music, with a bar located 3 floors below), we awoke to a rainy, cloudy day.

We chose to use Grayline's premium coach tour. Compared to their "standard" tour, we had 20 people, with swiveling captain's chairs, had a snack box, 2 beverages, and a beer included. Entry to both Neuschwanstein and Linderhof was also included. The standard tour had a double decker bus, with 2x2 seats. Our guide was fantastic. Well worth the extra cost.

As we began our journey, it became clear the weather wasn't going to be cooperative.

A few pics of the countryside:

27782251991_4e5d073d75_c.jpg

27247229453_8a55050932_c.jpg

My first glimpse.....with raindrops on the bus's windows:

27581509770_a0ed656a21_c.jpg

We decided to make the ~40 minute walk up the hill. The lines for both the horse-drawn carriage and bus were both really long. It really didn't take us too long. Unfortunately, Mary's Bridge was closed (and still is, according to the website), so we didn't get "the view".....

Here's a "floor plan" of the castle:

27825187076_ab805ea34d_c.jpg

Approaching the top:

27783337371_136fd4e63a_c.jpg

27581719210_1938749e69_z.jpg

Cool pics! Neuschwanstein looks so mysterious in the fog. A shame that the Marienbrücke is still closed, but considering the chasm that it crosses, proper maintenance is critically important. The views are spectacular though...When you go back, you must visit the bridge for the classic photo pose. I know a shortcut that takes you from Hohenschwangau directly to the bridge. :)

Edited by jpalbny

Cool pics! Neuschwanstein looks so mysterious in the fog. A shame that the Marienbrücke is still closed, but considering the chasm that it crosses, proper maintenance is critically important. The views are spectacular though...When you go back, you must visit the bridge for the classic photo pose. I know a shortcut that takes you from Hohenschwangau directly to the bridge. :)

When we go back, we are staying in Fussen, and paragliding! (in addition to going to the bridge:) )

Don't know but guessing Oberammergau? Third pic appears to be the Hotel Alte Post, which is in town. If so, we need to get there, as we've never been...it's on our list. Looks cool!

Edited by jpalbny

Don't know but guessing Oberammergau? Third pic appears to be the Hotel Alte Post, which is in town. If so, we need to get there, as we've never been...it's on our list. Looks cool!

Yes, Oberammergau. I put it in the subject line, but not the pictures. It was cold and rainy, and we were only there a short time, between Neuschwanstein and Linderhof.

I don't know that this was included in the Grayline standard tour, and I know it wasn't included in the extension that Avalon tour offered.

Better weather would have been nice. The town was very charming. I'm not sure if it accessible by train, or not.

Robin

Yes, Oberammergau. I put it in the subject line, but not the pictures. It was cold and rainy, and we were only there a short time, between Neuschwanstein and Linderhof.

I don't know that this was included in the Grayline standard tour, and I know it wasn't included in the extension that Avalon tour offered.

Better weather would have been nice. The town was very charming. I'm not sure if it accessible by train, or not.

Robin

You can tell that Got2Cruise and I use the smartphone app most of the time; the app doesn't show the subject lines at all! Oops... I am just rereading your last few posts on my computer, and they are complete now, because the subject lines are visible. I keep forgetting that this happens when reading posts on the app.

The town looks neat through the rainy bus windows. I really like the Red Riding Hood house picture; the raindrops at the top look like decorations on the eaves of the house. It's a cool vignette effect. It makes the photo more interesting than a supposedly "perfect" one IMO.

We have had Oberammergau on our "list" since the 2013 trip. Unfortunately we've never had time to go there yet. And you had to tease me with the awning in the first picture, that says "Franziskaner Weissbier," didn't you? ;) Looks like we have to make it a priority. Enjoying this thread immensely. Such beautiful scenery here!

Edited by jpalbny

Thanks JP for figuring the smart phone mystery.

I might have to borrow, ok, steal ackmom's photos of the fairytale houses if I don't get the opportunity to take my own photos. I want to show my first grade students when we study fairytales next semester.

You can tell that Got2Cruise and I use the smartphone app most of the time; the app doesn't show the subject lines at all!

This is why I don't use it! ["And you call yourself a Host, disloyal to a CC product!!!" Yup, if it doesn't do the job for me ;)]

Thanks JP for figuring the smart phone mystery.

I might have to borrow, ok, steal ackmom's photos of the fairytale houses if I don't get the opportunity to take my own photos. I want to show my first grade students when we study fairytales next semester.

Feel free to do so! I hope you get to go yourself, though.

Robin

You can tell that Got2Cruise and I use the smartphone app most of the time; the app doesn't show the subject lines at all! Oops... I am just rereading your last few posts on my computer, and they are complete now, because the subject lines are visible. I keep forgetting that this happens when reading posts on the app.

The town looks neat through the rainy bus windows. I really like the Red Riding Hood house picture; the raindrops at the top look like decorations on the eaves of the house. It's a cool vignette effect. It makes the photo more interesting than a supposedly "perfect" one IMO.

We have had Oberammergau on our "list" since the 2013 trip. Unfortunately we've never had time to go there yet. And you had to tease me with the awning in the first picture, that says "Franziskaner Weissbier," didn't you? ;) Looks like we have to make it a priority. Enjoying this thread immensely. Such beautiful scenery here!

The less than ideal weather really did make for some beautiful scenery. Linderhof was really spectacular in the mist and fog. I hope to have those pictures posted tomorrow.

I have a lot to get done before Got2Cruise leaves!

As far as beer goes, I'm looking forward to my VT vacation next month....I wasn't really a beer drinker until I went to VT for the first time:-)