Just back from the Danube!

acwmom

Thanks for the compliments. Yes, Schonbrunn is a must. And, I took A LOT of pictures.....I use both my cell phone, and a Sony a6000, with both a regular and telephoto lens.

Today, we made stops in Durnstein, and Melk. The weather could have been better. It was chilly and cloudy. Good hiking weather. I've already posted pictures of our hike up to the castle, so I'll include a few from the town here.

We arrived, along with 3-4 other ships. To say it was congested is an understatement. Very few made the hike to the castle, so we definitely escaped the crowds. Sure, we missed out on the history of the town, but we did learn a lot about Richard the Lionheart. And, it was a good way to follow-up our hike to his castle in Les Andelys last year:-)

27121452180_5a0d5df701_z.jpg

27299240182_5e12419657_c.jpg

27397422955_afc9d40a45_c.jpg

27363761576_1ff57dfb1c_c.jpg

27121969770_f1de37be40_m.jpg

27397587795_151319bb82_m.jpg

I know JP has posted many of these same sights, but here are my pictures, as well.

Lunch was available in both the lounge, and restaurant, and the menu was similar. Not sure why they didn't have wurst, instead of burgers.....but, I've already made my feelings known about the food

27382160046_accdc35e28_m.jpg

27317963802_da596fb995_m.jpg

The village of Spitz:

27382237356_d2711f18e3_c.jpg

The "hill of a thousand buckets" in Spitz:

27344873871_78eda5f24a_c.jpg

St. Michael's Church, with its rabbits on top:

27140346690_580ecc7c37_c.jpg

Hinterhaus Castle ruins:

27140446920_7d2109a082_c.jpg

Burgruine Aggstein:

27140507250_0643a7dc25_c.jpg

Schloss Schonbühel:

27416001585_4b90f9da24_z.jpg

Approaching Melk:

27416347055_3276be05cc_c.jpg

From the ship, we took a short bus ride to the Abbey, though we could have walked.

The entrance to the Abbey:

27345150321_881af78d6b_c.jpg

The courtyard, first, a side view, and, the view towards the Chapel:

27140757570_fa63832eeb_c.jpg

26811837954_e650af11b6_m.jpg

Robin

Cool! I didn't see the rabbits when we were there, but I do now when I go back and blow up my pictures. They are standing in a row, on the peak of the middle section. Here is a link to the legend that inspired the statues.

https://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Austria/Bundesland_Niederoesterreich/Melk-326452/Off_the_Beaten_Path-Melk-TG-C-1.html

This is a great reason to post pictures of the same place. I enjoy finding out new things as I keep reading. :)

Cool! I didn't see the rabbits when we were there, but I do now when I go back and blow up my pictures. They are standing in a row, on the peak of the middle section. Here is a link to the legend that inspired the statues.

https://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Austria/Bundesland_Niederoesterreich/Melk-326452/Off_the_Beaten_Path-Melk-TG-C-1.html

This is a great reason to post pictures of the same place. I enjoy finding out new things as I keep reading. :)

I didn't see them when we cruised by either, just heard the story from our cruise director. Like you, I had to zoom in to find them:-)

A few interesting pics from inside:

First, IIRC, this contained a "sliver of bone" from John the Baptist......I should have taken a pic of the sign as well:

27322416342_229bba7d33_m.jpg

The Marble Hall:

27322433822_9984214b9d_m.jpg

And, a view of the ceiling, from the middle of the room, yes, it's flat....

27386811646_ff32cdb5a5_c.jpg

The Abbey Church:

27322584502_35b40c91dd_m.jpg

And, its ceiling, which wasn't flat:

26813915923_5ac59dec2e_m.jpg

The stairs. Notice the reflection of my hands and camera in the mirror, at the base of the stairs. It makes the staircase feel a lot taller than it is:

27322569762_7bd21972f7_z.jpg

Thank you JP...now when we all go, we'll know the legend and look for them the first time!!

Robin, we are going to skip Avalon's tour of Schonbrunn because I think with all that we are trying to do in Vienna in 1 day we can accomplish more on our own. Unfortunately our time there will be more like Avalon's then yours. We will have to skip the gardens, etc :(

Did you have to wait a long time to get tickets to the palace with the Vienna Pass?

Also, I asked JP his opinion, but I'ld like yours as well...

I read a review on line that if you're going to visit Schonbrunn and you're short on time that you should skip the Imperial Apartments and Sissi Museum in Vienna. That Schonbrunn is so much better and they are a very similar experience.

What do you think? We are also hoping to see The Spanish Riding School, National Library, St Stephen's, get some Sacher Torte! etc all in 1 day.

I know we can just make it last and see how it goes...but we might spend more time at the other sights (and enjoy them more) if we're not trying to get the Imperial Apts. in.

Thanks,

Chris

Thank you JP...now when we all go, we'll know the legend and look for them the first time!!

Robin, we are going to skip Avalon's tour of Schonbrunn because I think with all that we are trying to do in Vienna in 1 day we can accomplish more on our own. Unfortunately our time there will be more like Avalon's then yours. We will have to skip the gardens, etc :(

Did you have to wait a long time to get tickets to the palace with the Vienna Pass?

I read a review on line that if you're going to visit Schonbrunn and you're short on time that you should skip the Imperial Apartments and Sissi Museum in Vienna. That Schonbrunn is so much better and they are a very similar experience.

What do you think? We are also hoping to see The Spanish Riding School, National Library, St Stephen's, get some Sacher Torte! etc all in 1 day.

I know we can just make it last and see how it goes...but we might spend more time at the other sights (and enjoy them more) if we're not trying to get the Imperial Apts. in.

Thanks,

Chris

I think that this has been mentioned before, but be aware of the subway closings in Vienna this year. Schonbrunn will be affected.

https://www.wien.gv.at/english/transportation-urbanplanning/public-transport/u4-modernisation.html

FuelScience

I saw Schonbrunn Palace many years ago & felt it was the best palace I've ever visited, even better than Versaille since the furniture was in place. I'm visiting it again this summer with my dw. Don't miss it.

Any updated information on the river height (& cruises being stopped) as a result of recent heavy rains in Europe?

Edited by dabear

Fuel Science is correct; parts of the U4 line are closed this year. However I read the signs and investigated further when we were in Vienna in April. This year at least, it will not affect Schönbrunn station - even though the closure REACHES Schönbrunn station, the station itself will not be closed - it will just be the end of the U4 line. So you can still visit the palace and gardens independently by using the U4 line.

2017 will be a different story as they start to work to a section of track between the city and Schönbrunn... At all times there will be alternative transportation that allows you to get everywhere on the U4 route via tram or bus.

I agree with dabear; the Palace is NOT to be missed. Very interesting from a historical and aesthetic standpoint. And the gardens are fantastic. This may be my #1 sight in Vienna.

stonepebble, if you spend the time to visit Schönbrunn, I do think that the Imperial Apartments at Hofberg are somewhat redundant. We did both in 2013 and though I was partly sleepwalking during the Hofberg tour, it did seem redundant from what I remember. I did enjoy the Sisi museum part of the tour very much - she was a very interesting lady and the museum explained a lot about her. This part was not so redundant with Schönbrunn, and I found it to be of great interest. So I'd visit Schönbrunn first, then do whatever else you can fit in.

Thanks,

Chris

If you are short on time, then I would choose Schonbrunn, and skip the Imperial Apartments and Sissi Museum. I would definitely recommend your other choices above the two, as well. We didn't get some Sacher Torte, but, that's okay:-)

That's a lot for 1 day! We had 3, so could see things at a more leisurely pace, though we certainly packed it in. Prater, I will say, was a one and done for us....so, I wouldn't stress about missing it.

Robin

A view of the Abbey Church/Coloman Courtyard:

27349428421_e5e11c98ee_m.jpg

And, in the opposite direction, the Wachau Valley:

26813953373_7df13e9b8c_c.jpg

Views of the Abbey from the park (on the walk back to the ship):

27145173540_dc6cd2c450_c.jpg

26814272213_a1a9701b70_c.jpg

The steps leading down to Melk, from the Abbey:

27322760732_9fb0c75968_m.jpg

And, the bottom of the path down:

27421181355_2651159812_m.jpg

Robin

If you are short on time, then I would choose Schonbrunn, and skip the Imperial Apartments and Sissi Museum. I would definitely recommend your other choices above the two, as well. We didn't get some Sacher Torte, but, that's okay:-)

That's a lot for 1 day! We had 3, so could see things at a more leisurely pace, though we certainly packed it in. Prater, I will say, was a one and done for us....so, I wouldn't stress about missing it.

Robin

I did try the sacher tort at the Sacher hotel. Imho it was only ok. I prefer the double chocolate cake at our local bakery!

Edited by dabear

We saw very few people out and about in town. We had hoped to find a restaurant to have dinner, since we didn't leave until 2am, but, no such luck.

The village, from the Abbey:

27349405871_0eb25df2d6_c.jpg

27349368861_ae5805667d_z.jpg

And, from street level:

27349731401_8debf80e87_m.jpg

26812517174_321d928847_m.jpg

It was cold and foggy as we approached Grein, the views were too good to pass up. I found myself alone, on deck, taking pictures.....well worth it!

27439613255_969bf783b9_z.jpg

26832341103_6fe6262f16_c.jpg

Approaching Grein, from our cabin:

26832407623_42d59df44e_c.jpg

27163178200_9688588731_c.jpg

The sun, burning off the morning fog:

27340780622_684522cd5e_z.jpg

The town of Grein. This was our drop off point for Cesky Krumlov. Those who didn't go had a one hour tour, a little free time, then boarded again to cruise to Linz.

27340745802_21bc0716ea_z.jpg

Robin

Totally agree with your comments on Avalon in general and also Avalona as compared specifically to Uniworld... not even in the same ballpark IMO (same goes for Avalon as compared to AMA and Scenic, no contest).

We are looking at our first river cruise on Danube. I calculate per diem Avalon $355;AMA $457;Scenic $509;Uniworld $580.

So wonder if this is Apples to Apples.

I did try the sacher tort at the Sacher hotel. Imho it was only ok. I prefer the double chocolate cake at our local bakery!

Ha ha! I've read some mixed reviews on Sacher Torte...

I was half joking to begin with...I'll need something sweet with my coffee that afternoon and will probably grab whatever looks best wherever I am!

Thank you, though!

Chris