Riverside Hotel - Las Olas Blvd

JamesEM

What other Las Olas hotels are recommended for a pre-cruise 1 or 2 night stay other than Riverside. Group size will be 10 - 20 and looking for double rooms. More important to be close to restaurants, etc than a hotel that includes breakfast for us.

Right now, considering 17th street area and have stayed their before. However, as many will be first time cruisers would like a little different experience.

Thank you!

Las Olas is much nicer than 17th Street but your hotel choices are limited.

The Riverside would be my first choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Stayed at Riverside Hotel in April before our cruise, because of the recommendation from these boards. Hotel was over rated. EXPENSIVE. they charged $27 a night to park our car rental. Rooms were small. The hotel tried to upsell for " nicer room", or " bigger " room. I wouldn't waste my $$ on Riverside Hotel again. Plenty of other less expensive choices.

Stayed at Riverside Hotel in April before our cruise, because of the recommendation from these boards. Hotel was over rated. EXPENSIVE. they charged $27 a night to park our car rental. Rooms were small. The hotel tried to upsell for " nicer room", or " bigger " room. I wouldn't waste my $$ on Riverside Hotel again. Plenty of other less expensive choices.

I believe there is a Motel 6 in Hollywood FL. that may fit your financial parameters.

As in most hotels there are different room categories to choose /pay for. The first time we stayed here we booked thru either PL or HW. We got a smaller ( very well kept and clean) room in the original wing. It was a good value considering our rate and the great location. What you say is "expensive" might be the going rack rate on that date.

Parking fees at hotels in city centers should always be considered. Did you not know there would be a fee? If you don't want those parking fees you need to stick to the chains in the outskirts of cities where space is available. In Ft. L. you'll find those nearer the airport. Most would rather stay within the center without the (unneeded) car.

The Las Olas Blvd area is very walkable and I prefer over 17th St ..IF we can't get a beach property.

Edited by eandj

As in most hotels there are different room categories to choose /pay for. The first time we stayed here we booked thru either PL or HW. We got a smaller ( very well kept and clean) room in the original wing. It was a good value considering our rate and the great location. What you say is "expensive" might be the going rack rate on that date.

Parking fees at hotels in city centers should always be considered. Did you not know there would be a fee? If you don't want those parking fees you need to stick to the chains in the outskirts of cities where space is available. In Ft. L. you'll find those nearer the airport. Most would rather stay within the center without the (unneeded) car.

The Las Olas Blvd area is very walkable and I prefer over 17th St ..IF we can't get a beach property.

We are flying into either FLL or Miami airport 1 day early for a Celebrity cruise leaving Sunday, Dec 11. I What beach property in FLL would you recommend that would be comparable in price to Embassy Suites or the hotel in Las Olas?

Thank you

Sue

We are flying into either FLL or Miami airport 1 day early for a Celebrity cruise leaving Sunday, Dec 11. I What beach property in FLL would you recommend that would be comparable in price to Embassy Suites or the hotel in Las Olas?

Thank you

Sue

Moderate priced is Bahia Mar. It's a hilton. Join their honors club online and they have sale prices available. Across the street from the beach in walking distance of restaurants and stores and close by water taxi or trolley stops. See other posts here for more details.

Not sure what the other hotels are charging that date.

Thank you

Sue

You should splurge and book the Riverside! It is the night of the Winterfest Boat Parade one of the most popular events in the nation! It is gorgeous!

The Riverside is on the parade route and the guests get passes to the viewing area that the general public has to pay $75 each for!

http://www.WinterfestParade.com

Any thoughts on Americal social restaurant, walking distance of riverside?

Need to make a reservation?

American Social has the best Sunday brunch in town and great food all around.

They also have a great late night menu.

Is there a specific reason you are picking this restaurant?

We thought the menu looked great and it looked to be within walking distance of riverside. Also it looked like they had a nice eating area overlooking the icw. We are open to others if within walking distance. Always wanted to stay at riverside so we made reservations there for a cruise later this year. They also had grouper on the menu,yum

We would be there on a Friday night

Edited by setsail

We thought the menu looked great and it looked to be within walking distance of riverside. Also it looked like they had a nice eating area overlooking the icw. We are open to others if within walking distance. Always wanted to stay at riverside so we made reservations there for a cruise later this year. They also had grouper on the menu,yum

You looked at the American Social on Brickell which is downtown Miami on the Miami River not the intracoastal.

The American Social in Fort Lauderdale is not on any water.

If you want to be on the water on Las Olas, take a look at Bao. Their food is AMAZING. Asian.

American Social on Las Olas does not overlook the Intracoastal Waterway. American Social in Downtown Miami overlooks the Miami River.

Riverside Hotel overlooks the New River, which feeds into the Intracoastal Waterway, approximately 1.5 miles east.

Edited by brunello22

I am always looking for a great brunch spot, but did not see a brunch menu online. Do they have bottomless mimosas and Bloody Marys?

We had an awesome brunch at Hardy Park Bistro a couple of weeks ago :p

• 2 weeks later...
You should splurge and book the Riverside! It is the night of the Winterfest Boat Parade one of the most popular events in the nation! It is gorgeous!

The Riverside is on the parade route and the guests get passes to the viewing area that the general public has to pay $75 each for!

http://www.WinterfestParade.com

We will be in Fort Lauderdale on December 10th for a cruise out of Miami on the 11th. I was excited to see your post about the boat parade scheduled for this day! I'm just now looking for hotel reservations and was going to book with Embassy again because their suite style works well for us (2 adult kids traveling with us). Riverside is more than I want to spend because I would have to book two rooms - can you tell me if the Bahia Mar would be a good place to watch? Or could we stick with Embassy and find another good spot to watch the parade?

We will be in Fort Lauderdale on December 10th for a cruise out of Miami on the 11th. I was excited to see your post about the boat parade scheduled for this day! I'm just now looking for hotel reservations and was going to book with Embassy again because their suite style works well for us (2 adult kids traveling with us). Riverside is more than I want to spend because I would have to book two rooms - can you tell me if the Bahia Mar would be a good place to watch? Or could we stick with Embassy and find another good spot to watch the parade?

You can check out the Doubletree Gallery One or the Residence Inn (formerly I Lugano). Both are waterfront and if you book a room facing the Intracoastal Waterway, you will have the best views!

I am always looking for a great brunch spot, but did not see a brunch menu online. Do they have bottomless mimosas and Bloody Marys?

We had an awesome brunch at Hardy Park Bistro a couple of weeks ago :p

Yes, they have unlimited BMs, Mimosas, and the one with Angry Orchard Cider. Love their crab legs which is why we usually go.

Yes, the boat parade goes right by the Bahia Mar. It starts on the New River on Sailboat Bend which is before the Riverside then turns left at the ICW right before the Bahia Mar. The view poolside will be excellent but call the hotel and make sure they don't charge guests extra.

You can check out the Doubletree Gallery One or the Residence Inn (formerly I Lugano). Both are waterfront and if you book a room facing the Intracoastal Waterway, you will have the best views!

Yes, the boat parade goes right by the Bahia Mar. It starts on the New River on Sailboat Bend which is before the Riverside then turns left at the ICW right before the Bahia Mar. The view poolside will be excellent but call the hotel and make sure they don't charge guests extra.

I booked a water-view suite w/balcony at Gallery One - hoping it will be a great place to watch the parade [emoji4]. Thanks for your help!

• 3 weeks later...

brunello22 and/or BlueHerons: I have a couple more questions about the boat parade I was hoping you could help with. Our flight is scheduled to land (FLL) at 6PM, we have reservations at Doubletree, should we be able to make it to the hotel in time to see the parade and are there any bridges that will be open on the route from the airport to the hotel that will prohibit us from getting there? I have two other flight options for this cruise I could change to - one is still flying in on the 10th but arriving at 10:30AM - this would put us there plenty early to not worry about missing the parade, but it's a little more expensive & with the water taxi closed that day I'm not sure what we would do to fill in the time. The other option is to fly in the morning of the cruise on the 11th... I know this is not recommended, but it's a direct flight landing at 9:30AM and would save a good bit of money (around $400). With the last option we would obviously miss the boat parade... in your opinion, is it worth the $400? Thank you for your help - I'm really struggling to make a decision and need to decide before flight prices go up.

For our cruise this November instead on booking a hotel on 17th St. I am considering the Riverside Hotel for our pre cruise stay, any input on this hotel and the Las Olas area would be appreciated.

Hello ~

I highly recommend staying at The Riverside. It had been suggested to us by a tablemate on a cruise a few years ago. We stayed there last year and enjoyed it so much that the 4 of us have reserved it again for this November.

Kathy & Bill

brunello22 and/or BlueHerons: I have a couple more questions about the boat parade I was hoping you could help with. Our flight is scheduled to land (FLL) at 6PM, we have reservations at Doubletree, should we be able to make it to the hotel in time to see the parade and are there any bridges that will be open on the route from the airport to the hotel that will prohibit us from getting there? I have two other flight options for this cruise I could change to - one is still flying in on the 10th but arriving at 10:30AM - this would put us there plenty early to not worry about missing the parade, but it's a little more expensive & with the water taxi closed that day I'm not sure what we would do to fill in the time. The other option is to fly in the morning of the cruise on the 11th... I know this is not recommended, but it's a direct flight landing at 9:30AM and would save a good bit of money (around $400). With the last option we would obviously miss the boat parade... in your opinion, is it worth the $400? Thank you for your help - I'm really struggling to make a decision and need to decide before flight prices go up.

Pick the 10:30am flight.

I think you will probably miss most of the parade with the 6PM flight.

There is a ton of things to do in Fort Lauderdale other than the water taxi. The Doubletree is in a great location for walking around.

You can head over to the beach with is decorated gorgeously for the holidays (just get back over the bridge by 4PM), hang out at the pool which overlooks the water way, or head over to Las Olas for a fun Saturday brunch and check out alll of the holiday decorations.

You will not be bored.

Pick the 10:30am flight.

I think you will probably miss most of the parade with the 6PM flight.

There is a ton of things to do in Fort Lauderdale other than the water taxi. The Doubletree is in a great location for walking around.

You can head over to the beach with is decorated gorgeously for the holidays (just get back over the bridge by 4PM), hang out at the pool which overlooks the water way, or head over to Las Olas for a fun Saturday brunch and check out alll of the holiday decorations.

You will not be bored.

Thank you, that is the exact info I was looking for. I was lucky and able to change our flight for only $5 more per person - love that Southwest allows changes!

Thank you, that is the exact info I was looking for. I was lucky and able to change our flight for only $5 more per person - love that Southwest allows changes!

Awesome! You've got an amazing spot for the parade.

I can't remember do they have balconies? If you have a balcony, I'd get a bottle of wine and take out dinner and make it a romantic evening on the balcony.

If not, anywhere on the property will be excellent for viewing. These are 100+ foot boats that are lit up.