Taormina must see ?

EuroFan

We are arriving in Taormina with the cruise in July and was wondering if there are any must see places after the Roman Amphitheater .

We are planning to scroll the streets up to the Amphitheter and back...

Also, how hot does it get there in mid July ?

Thank you in advance for any info and opinions.

Edited by EuroFan

"Must see" is what interests you, not what we tell you it is. I would do some research- look at guide books and what is featured on the ship's excursions for the key sites, and pick from them what interests you.

It can be quite warm in July- 90s.

I'm also interested in how to approach Taormina. We are there from 12-7, tendering in from Giardini Naxos. I'm thinking we will just take a cab into town and walk around. Pleasant way to spend the afternoon?

If not, is it worth it to go up to Vesuvius? Is the walking hard around the caldera?

Is it still true that you have to be very careful about pickpockets? A friend of my mom's had her purse ripped out off her arm years ago.

The public gardens are a nice place to escape from the crowds.

I spent four days in Taormina a couple of years ago and while it's lovely, there isn't much to see there other than the amphitheater (which is Greek, not Roman, if that makes a difference to you). Once you've seen that and maybe the fanciful donkey cart in the tourism office lobby (on the main street at the corner of the street to the amphitheater), everything else is shops and restaurants.

Garden pictures here: http://www.ilparcopiubello.it/index.php/park/dettaglio/490

Edited by euro cruiser

I'm also interested in how to approach Taormina.

If not, is it worth it to go up to Vesuvius? Is the walking hard around the caldera?

Is it still true that you have to be very careful about pickpockets? A friend of my mom's had her purse ripped out off her arm years ago.

You should assume there are working pickpockets at every tourist destination anywhere in Europe. It's just the way it is.

I think you mean Etna, Vesuvio is near Naples. Some of the climbing can be steep at Etna and you're walking on loose rocks so your footing can be dicey, but it's not difficult. You can also take a lift up and see things that way.

More about Etna here: http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1427

Edited by euro cruiser

We are arriving in Taormina with the cruise in July and was wondering if there are any must see places after the Roman Amphitheater .

We are planning to scroll the streets up to the Amphitheter and back...

Also, how hot does it get there in mid July ?

Thank you in advance for any info and opinions.

I don't know how keen you are on hiking, but if you're docked below Taormina at Giardini Naxos, it's quite possible to walk through the town and up the (big) hill on the footpath that ends up at that gorgeous public gardens. On the way you'll pass a wonderful old train station that is worth taking a look at for its beautiful tiles and stencilled/frescoed ceilings. Depending on how many photo ops you stop for, it will take anywhere from an hour to two hours to hike up to Taormina. We thoroughly enjoyed the hike. BTW the views from the gardens, at the overlook promenade, are stunning.

I don't know how keen you are on hiking, but if you're docked below Taormina at Giardini Naxos, it's quite possible to walk through the town and up the (big) hill on the footpath that ends up at that gorgeous public gardens. On the way you'll pass a wonderful old train station that is worth taking a look at for its beautiful tiles and stencilled/frescoed ceilings. Depending on how many photo ops you stop for, it will take anywhere from an hour to two hours to hike up to Taormina. We thoroughly enjoyed the hike. BTW the views from the gardens, at the overlook promenade, are stunning.

We will be on the Azamara Quest and Taormina is one of the stops. I purchased the Taormina on Your Own excursion but am now wondering if it is possible for us to walk from the port to the city. Looking at your post, it looks like that is possible.

We will be on the Azamara Quest and Taormina is one of the stops. I purchased the Taormina on Your Own excursion but am now wondering if it is possible for us to walk from the port to the city. Looking at your post, it looks like that is possible.

Hope you have good legs! That is quite a climb! You can also take a taxi from GN to Taormina - about 25 euros - and a taxi back. Taxis are easily available. It is quite possible that the 50 euros for two taxis are less than your excursion. And you get to spend more time in Taormina.

I think you mean Etna, Vesuvio is near Naples. Some of the climbing can be steep at Etna and you're walking on loose rocks so your footing can be dicey, but it's not difficult. You can also take a lift up and see things that way.

More about Etna here: http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1427

Yes of course, mispoke, got my volcanoes mixed up.

I'm on Journey, and looking at the "One your Own" excursion at $70 pp, the cab looks like a good deal--perhaps pax can get together and share a cab, at least going up to the town.

Another question--I presume the cabs still just go to the gates of town. Here's what the tour description says:

- 200 yard incline from the bus (cab?) to the gates

- lifts must be used from the parking area to the town centre (instead of the incline?) On return there are 3 lifts available for those who need it, without them pax must negotiate approx. 140 steps

Can someone give us an accurate description of this situation, assuming you take a cab up to town? IF there are that many steps, coming and going, we might just stay on the ship.

Can someone give us an accurate description of this situation, assuming you take a cab up to town? IF there are that many steps, coming and going, we might just stay on the ship.

Buses must stop at the parking deck below the town and there are elevators you can take. If they drive a little higher up, they might leave you off where you walk the 200 yards, but pick up will be below by the parking deck. A taxi can take you to the town by the gates. Then the main street, Corso Umberto, which leads to the Via Teatro Greco is all flat, unless you choose to go on the side streets. To make absolutely sure, tell the taxi to take you to the Hotel Excelsior Palace, just by the entrance of town .

For the return, you can find a taxi line right at the little park at the intersection of Corso Umberto and Via Teatro Greco or go back to the Excelsior.

Edited by marazul

Buses must stop at the parking deck below the town and there are elevators you can take. If they drive a little higher up, they might leave you off where you walk the 200 yards, but pick up will be below by the parking deck. A taxi can take you to the town by the gates. Then the main street, Corso Umberto, which leads to the Via Teatro Greco is all flat, unless you choose to go on the side streets. To make absolutely sure, tell the taxi to take you to the Hotel Excelsior Palace, just by the entrance of town .

For the return, you can find a taxi line right at the little park at the intersection of Corso Umberto and Via Teatro Greco or go back to the Excelsior.

Oh thank you so much, I will put this in my notes!

Just to be clear, when you get to the gates in your taxi, are there stairs? (This is not a big deal, just trying to avoid long climbs up and down.)

Once you are at Corso Umberto it's flat.

You can make yourself a google map and go to street view so you'll know what to expect. If you use Porta Messina, Corso Umberto, Taormina, Province of Messina, Italy as the address you'll be at the north end of the town.

Oh thank you so much, I will put this in my notes!

Just to be clear, when you get to the gates in your taxi, are there stairs? (This is not a big deal, just trying to avoid long climbs up and down.)

No stairs at the gate or from the hotel to the gate and on into the town. All flat. Corso Umberto and the Via Teatro Greco are all flat. There are some steps to get into the Greek Theater as can be expected, but it is a beautiful site with extraordinary views of Mt Etna and the shore. Don't miss it.

I think eurocriuiser meant Porta Catania, not Porta Messina. Porta Messina is at the other end of Corso Umberto in the middle of town and a couple of blocks past Via Teatro Greco. You would miss the cathedral and the entire main street if you get out there.

Edited by marazul

No, I meant Porta Messina. It's only 300' past Via Teatro Greco, not blocks, and it defines the north end of the town. I only meant that starting there with google maps will give you a good idea of the terrain near the Greek Theater.

From Porta Catania, the southern end of town, to the Greek Theater is a little over a mile. From Porta Messina it's a half mile.

So, if you are arriving by taxi and want to minimize walking, ask to go to Porta Messina.

Edited by euro cruiser

No, I meant Porta Messina. It's only 300' past Via Teatro Greco, not blocks, and it defines the north end of the town. I only meant that starting there with google maps will give you a good idea of the terrain near the Greek Theater.

From Porta Catania, the southern end of town, to the Greek Theater is a little over a mile. From Porta Messina it's a half mile.

So, if you are arriving by taxi and want to minimize walking, ask to go to Porta Messina.

Got it. I was thinking Porta Catania since that is the one by the elevators to the parking deck and it is right by the Hotel Excelsior Palace. But, you are quite right, the taxi can take you to Porta Messina which is closer to the Greek Theater. So, anyone with walking difficulties would do well to follow your advice and go to Porta Messina. (And for the trip back, get a taxi at the little park at the corner of Via Teatro Greco, which of course will drive you back through Porta Messina.) Others who want to see more of the town (Cathedral, shops, side streets) should go to Porta Catania.

And some of the best gelato in Taormina is at Gelatomania, just on your right as you walk into town from Porta Messina.

It takes a village.

Edited by marazul

I am puzzled why an "on your own" excursion in Taormina costs 52$? Is it not possible to walk around the town from the docking place?

No, it is not. If you dock in Messina or Catania you are 40-50 minutes away from Taormina. If you anchor at Giardini Naxos, you have to lighter in and take some sort of transportation up to Taormina. Taormina is situated on a large cliff/promontory, above Giardini Naxos.

I am puzzled why an "on your own" excursion in Taormina costs 52$? Is it not possible to walk around the town from the docking place?

Some cruise lines have the habit of listing a "famous" destination as their port, such as Rome, Florence, Taormina, etc, when they are nowhere near the real port. The real port is often listed in parenthesis next to the "famous" one. For example, Taormina (Messina) or Florence (Livorno). When in doubt, there is google maps.

We stayed here for several days on a land trip. The town is a long ,uphill walk from Naxos. We took a bus from Catania Airport. It stopped near where the ships dock in Catania and then continued on to Naxos and then up the hill to Taormina. The buses run frequently-seems to me every 1/2 or so.. Just not certain how close the bus stop would be to where your tender may dock.

If the $70. pp on your own tour is simply a bus from Naxos up the hill to the parking lot in Taormina then I would say that is a scandalous amount to charge someone. Don't let yourself be taken advantage of. Take a cab, or take a local bus.