Temporary Paper Driver's License

Do she does not have a passport. We though long and hard about one, but since she would only be able to use it for 2 years and then need a new one we did not think that the cost was worth it. If I was a betting man, I would bet that this is the only international trip she takes until she is at least 18.

Passports don't expire when you turn 18. If they're issued before age 16 they're good for 5 years. After 16 they're good for 10 years.

Oops. Editing to say I need more coffee. Didn't notice this had already been said - a few times.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by E&B

Is it me or am I the only one able to read this part from the OP. It's like it's typed in invisible ink only I can see? Is it just me?

I was just thinking the same thing.

It would appear to me the temp license with photo will work.

Yes, to answer the follow on statement, I see several posting that appear to ignore or overlooked the "has a photo" notation.

Because how does anyone (CBP agents) know what the person looks like without a picture along with a name? :confused:

And they can tell from my granddaughters passport photo at age 2 weeks and she is now two years old?

I laugh every time I look at that PP photograph. It makes me feel so much more secure.

Procrastinators are notoriously slow to learn. If she can't get the proper ID on time, she will not be allowed to board. But, I bet that's the last time she "forgets" to get her paperwork in order!

What does the paper ID say?

California's temporary paper ID's have all the info and a picture but clearly state that it is NOT a valid ID.

OP - does it say it's a valid ID?

Edited by SadieN

Mine too. If they are 16 or older they actually get an adult Passport that is valid for 10 years. They are considered an adult as far as that goes.

I remember my sister procrastinated and waited until after my nephew's 16th birthday before getting him a passport (he was going to Europe). They had to pay more for the adult passport. I know you have the adult passport for ten years, but we don't go away too often.

If she has a birth certificate she will be fine. As long as it is a closed loop cruise.

Also flying they will possibly not ask for her ID as a minor. She will board and check in with an adult both at the cruise and airport.

Once it was stated she is only 16 that makes a difference in the documents needed.

I'm about to go crazy. We are 16 days from sailing and 14 days from leaving for Fort Lauderdale and my DW and I have been hounding my MIL for weeks to please get my SIL the state ID that she needs for the cruise as she does not have a picture ID from school. Our state only provides the temporary paper ids and mails the permanent one. It normally takes 10-30 days. The temp id does have a picture on it.

Has anyone had any luck using one to get on a cruise?

YES, they are fine! They are very much the norm these days. Years ago when they first started issuing the temporary paper IDs/Licenses, my daughter about went bonkers worried I would not be allowed on the ship. No worries. :)

It's on the list of unacceptable ID's, so most likely, no. I don't know if they will make an exception if it has a picture, but my guess would be no because it would be way too easy to forge. In any case, I would call to be sure.

Unacceptable Forms of Documentation

• Copies of any WHTI-Compliant documents
  • Driver's License as the only proof
  • A temporary driver's license (paperwork without a Photo I.D.)
  • Voter's Registration Card
  • Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card (NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST) - may be used for photo identification use only
  • Baptismal Papers
  • U.S. Military I.D. and a Photo I.D.
  • A Dependent Military I.D. that is issued to the spouse and children of Military Personnel is not acceptable
  • U.S. Military Discharge Papers
  • No Record of Birth certificate: a certificate issued by the Department of Health and Vital Statistics showing that they have no records on this person
  • Hospital Certificate: hospital-Issued birth notice / live record of birth / announcement of birth from a hospital

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3409/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ2MjU4OTY3MC9zaWQvM0xEV3BTUG0%3D#Unacceptable_forms_of_documentation

There is a difference between a temporary license with a picture and one without a picture. If the temporary license has a picture than it is a government issued photo ID and may be used as such to board a closed loop cruise. Any concerns regarding forgery (which isn't as easy as people think it is) is mitigated by the ability of CBP to check the data on the license with the issuing authority's database.

OP, I have read of a few people in the past few months in the same boat and they all had no trouble boarding with their temporary license (as well they shouldn't).:)

Another thought - if you'd like a second photo ID....

Do your local police stations or community centers offer photo ID? Here parents can take kids to either for a photo ID - similar to a school ID.

Good Idea, I will check on this. They live in a very small town so, I'm not sure if the have this or not in their town.

Procrastinators are notoriously slow to learn. If she can't get the proper ID on time, she will not be allowed to board. But, I bet that's the last time she "forgets" to get her paperwork in order!

In this case, the procrastinator is my MIL as you need a parent to sign the paperwork. If my DW or I could have handled this then it would have been done months ago. I hate to say this but my MIL is a self centered butt hole that worries more about her boyfriend of the month instead of her child.:eek: This has nothing to do with my SIL not being ready. Also, my MIL is not going on the trip so, she had no "skin in the game" to get it done. We did invite her and thank the good Lord that she said that she did not want to go.

What does the paper ID say?

California's temporary paper ID's have all the info and a picture but clearly state that it is NOT a valid ID.

OP - does it say it's a valid ID?

It's printed and folded just like the hard copy that will come in the mail. I was told at the DMV that it's valid and just the same as having the hard copy. No where on the document do it say that it's not valid.

If she has a birth certificate she will be fine. As long as it is a closed loop cruise.

Also flying they will possibly not ask for her ID as a minor. She will board and check in with an adult both at the cruise and airport.

Once it was stated she is only 16 that makes a difference in the documents needed.

Thanks - We are not flying so we should be fine.

YES, they are fine! They are very much the norm these days. Years ago when they first started issuing the temporary paper IDs/Licenses, my daughter about went bonkers worried I would not be allowed on the ship. No worries. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2287309

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Great information to know. Thanks!

There is a difference between a temporary license with a picture and one without a picture. If the temporary license has a picture than it is a government issued photo ID and may be used as such to board a closed loop cruise. Any concerns regarding forgery (which isn't as easy as people think it is) is mitigated by the ability of CBP to check the data on the license with the issuing authority's database.

OP, I have read of a few people in the past few months in the same boat and they all had no trouble boarding with their temporary license (as well they shouldn't).:)

I think that it will be fine. Hopefully, it will be a non-issue and we get the hard copy before the trip.

Is it me or am I the only one able to read this part from the OP. It's like it's typed in invisible ink only I can see? Is it just me?

I'm sorry I read the end of the OP's post incorrectly. Mea Culpa. Now get off my back for making a simple mistake. Geesh.:eek:

Edited by Rosefloater

• 1 year later...