Temporary Paper Driver's License

I'm about to go crazy. We are 16 days from sailing and 14 days from leaving for Fort Lauderdale and my DW and I have been hounding my MIL for weeks to please get my SIL the state ID that she needs for the cruise as she does not have a picture ID from school. Our state only provides the temporary paper ids and mails the permanent one. It normally takes 10-30 days. The temp id does have a picture on it.

Has anyone had any luck using one to get on a cruise?

It's on the list of unacceptable ID's, so most likely, no. I don't know if they will make an exception if it has a picture, but my guess would be no because it would be way too easy to forge. In any case, I would call to be sure.

Unacceptable Forms of Documentation

• Copies of any WHTI-Compliant documents
  • Driver's License as the only proof
  • A temporary driver's license (paperwork without a Photo I.D.)
  • Voter's Registration Card
  • Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card (NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST) - may be used for photo identification use only
  • Baptismal Papers
  • U.S. Military I.D. and a Photo I.D.
  • A Dependent Military I.D. that is issued to the spouse and children of Military Personnel is not acceptable
  • U.S. Military Discharge Papers
  • No Record of Birth certificate: a certificate issued by the Department of Health and Vital Statistics showing that they have no records on this person
  • Hospital Certificate: hospital-Issued birth notice / live record of birth / announcement of birth from a hospital

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3409/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ2MjU4OTY3MC9zaWQvM0xEV3BTUG0%3D#Unacceptable_forms_of_documentation

Edited by bakersdozen12

It's on the list of unacceptable ID's, so most likely, no. I don't know if they will make an exception if it has a picture, but my guess would be no because it would be way too easy to forge. In any case, I would call to be sure.

Unacceptable Forms of Documentation

• Copies of any WHTI-Compliant documents
  • Driver's License as the only proof
  • A temporary driver's license (paperwork without a Photo I.D.)
  • Voter's Registration Card
  • Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card (NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST) - may be used for photo identification use only
  • Baptismal Papers
  • U.S. Military I.D. and a Photo I.D.
  • A Dependent Military I.D. that is issued to the spouse and children of Military Personnel is not acceptable
  • U.S. Military Discharge Papers
  • No Record of Birth certificate: a certificate issued by the Department of Health and Vital Statistics showing that they have no records on this person
  • Hospital Certificate: hospital-Issued birth notice / live record of birth / announcement of birth from a hospital

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3409/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ2MjU4OTY3MC9zaWQvM0xEV3BTUG0%3D#Unacceptable_forms_of_documentation

I've asked on the Carnival Looking for Carnival Assistance boards this evening so hopefully I will get a reply soon with more of an official answer. If not, I will contact my PVP on Monday.

One in our party last May used his birth certificate and temp paper drivers license (lost the real one 2 weeks before the cruise).

That's great to hear. It's perfectly legal for everything else, so why not cruising? It looks like it has some security protections in the paper to show it's not fake.

That's great to hear. It's perfectly legal for everything else, so why not cruising? It looks like it has some security protections in the paper to show it's not fake.

Because how does anyone (CBP agents) know what the person looks like without a picture along with a name? :confused:

I just got a TN paper copy DL on 4/6 and had the hard copy in a couple days. Hopefully, 14 should be more than enough. The paper copy does have a photo on it.

Edited by AngMo44

We just came back from a cruise 2 weeks ago and my husband had a copy of his license, due to he just received his CDL literally 2 days before we left and all he could use was a paper copy..We had no problems. Just brought passport and we were fine.

Are you driving or flying to Fort Lauderdale? If you are flying, she is going to need some sort of photo id to get on a flight.

Yes, some have said that TSA will let it go in some rare occasions, but I wouldn't take that chance.

Is it me or am I the only one able to read this part from the OP. It's like it's typed in invisible ink only I can see? Is it just me?

Exactly - If the temp has a photo there is NO issue.

My other question is how old is SIL?? OP mentions a school ID. My son was never asked for photo ID when he checked in with us - even when he had his first license. BC yes - but not a photo.

Is it me or am I the only one able to read this part from the OP. It's like it's typed in invisible ink only I can see? Is it just me?

Exactly who is this directed at? Because I don't see one single person that didn't acknowledge that the OP's husband's paper ID does have a picture on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by bakersdozen12

Exactly who is this directed at? Because I don't see one single person that didn't acknowledge that the OP's husband's paper ID does have a picture on it.

Because how does anyone (CBP agents) know what the person looks like without a picture along with a name? :confused:

I would assume s/he was referencing this one.

The name from the birth certificate and temp id will match and the temp id has a picture on it to prove that the person holding the papers is the same person.

I just got a TN paper copy DL on 4/6 and had the hard copy in a couple days. Hopefully, 14 should be more than enough. The paper copy does have a photo on it.

That's good to hear. Hopefully, GA will be the same.

We just came back from a cruise 2 weeks ago and my husband had a copy of his license, due to he just received his CDL literally 2 days before we left and all he could use was a paper copy..We had no problems. Just brought passport and we were fine.

Thanks for the information. I don't know if we have the time for a passport and getting my MIL to get to the DVM has been hard enough. Fingers crossed that the hard one gets here on time.

Are you driving or flying to Fort Lauderdale? If you are flying, she is going to need some sort of photo id to get on a flight.

Yes, some have said that TSA will let it go in some rare occasions, but I wouldn't take that chance.

Thanks for asking. We live in Southwest GA so, we are going to make the drive down.

With a passport, the driver's license is unnecessary.

Doesn't sound like the lady without the ID has a passport.

My other question is how old is SIL?? OP mentions a school ID. My son was never asked for photo ID when he checked in with us - even when he had his first license. BC yes - but not a photo.

This is what I'm thinking. It's just something to keep us worried before the cruise. We have fought so hard to make this happen. My SIL just turned 16 this week. The problem is that my MIL is a real piece of work and has up until this point refused to let my SIL get her learners permit that she could have gotten at 15. In GA, you have to have a learners permit 1 year before a provisional drivers license is issued. So, she either needs to get her learners or a state id, both would have a picture on it.

I mentioned the school id, because the rules I got from Carnival states that the following is acceptable:

School/Student I.D (acceptable for guests 16/17 years of age)

We were hopeful that we could use this, but her school no longer has a photo on the id.

With a passport, the driver's license is unnecessary.

Doesn't sound like the lady without the ID has a passport.

Do she does not have a passport. We though long and hard about one, but since she would only be able to use it for 2 years and then need a new one we did not think that the cost was worth it. If I was a betting man, I would bet that this is the only international trip she takes until she is at least 18.

Since you had a passport your license doesn't matter.

Do she does not have a passport. We though long and hard about one, but since she would only be able to use it for 2 years and then need a new one we did not think that the cost was worth it. If I was a betting man, I would bet that this is the only international trip she takes until she is at least 18.

The passport is good for 5 years, then she would get an adult one. My kids were still using their kids' passport after 18.

The passport is good for 5 years, then she would get an adult one. My kids were still using their kids' passport after 18.

Mine too. If they are 16 or older they actually get an adult Passport that is valid for 10 years. They are considered an adult as far as that goes.

A child's passport is good for 5 years no matter when it's issued. So if she got hers at 15, it'll be good til she's 20.

Edited by SadieN

This is what I'm thinking. It's just something to keep us worried before the cruise. We have fought so hard to make this happen. My SIL just turned 16 this week. The problem is that my MIL is a real piece of work and has up until this point refused to let my SIL get her learners permit that she could have gotten at 15. In GA, you have to have a learners permit 1 year before a provisional drivers license is issued. So, she either needs to get her learners or a state id, both would have a picture on it.

I mentioned the school id, because the rules I got from Carnival states that the following is acceptable:

School/Student I.D (acceptable for guests 16/17 years of age)

We were hopeful that we could use this, but her school no longer has a photo on the id.

Well....it's best to be prepared for all options.

But it's possible they won't even ask her for ID. When my son was 17 he checked in with us -they looked at his birth certificate and he offered his license at least twice and was told nope no need. [emoji12]

Of course if he hadn't had it with him they would have wanted to see it!! [emoji12]

Mine too. If they are 16 or older they actually get an adult Passport that is valid for 10 years. They are considered an adult as far as that goes.

If we had gotten her one we would have done it earlier this year and she would have still been 15 so, it would have been good for 5 years. I guess I read the information wrong on the passport site.

I'm sure it will all work out.

The passport takes the place of other photo ID