Decisions, Decisions - Help Me Decide

Greetings fellow CCers. I will be traveling to St. Martin for the 3rd time in June and I am having some issues deciding what to do. I have been the Le Galion beach (walked over to Orient as well) and Great Bay on my previous trips. I loved Great Bay, but with all the pollution issues I have read about I don't think I could go back. I don't want to do a tour because I love going to the beach. Right now the top of the list is Divi Little bay(I know they have one restuarant bar tied to the hotel). I have seen some of the reviews and it appears to be a good beach with some amenities. I actually was hoping for a place with a few more beach bars. My problem is I can't take a rough surf. I would probably opt to go to Orient, but when i was there a few years ago, the surf was really rough. I wanted to really go to Pinel, but getting a taxi back is iffy (that is really my number one choice). What beaches do you all suggest that has some beach bars/restaurants and a fairly calm surf? Oh I should add that I am NOT interested in Maho beach. The thought of a plane crashing into the sand (and me) frightens me to death. Thanks for taking the time to respond because I really need some help.

If you really must avoid surf, Le Galion is your best bet. My favorite is Dawn Beach, facing the Atlantic and usually with some surf - except for the occasional days when the winds have been out of the west, and it can be flat calm -- but it is hard to determine without going there.

Great bay because it is a busy port is not as crystal clear as other beaches. And as with any beach there is pollution, but we just spent 2 weeks in Philipsburg and went swimming almost everyday with no issues. And there are lots of locals that swim there, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

But if you want crystal clear water, little, surf & some beach bars you might want to check out Grand Case.

If you really must avoid surf, Le Galion is your best bet. My favorite is Dawn Beach, facing the Atlantic and usually with some surf - except for the occasional days when the winds have been out of the west, and it can be flat calm -- but it is hard to determine without going there.

I went to Le Galion the first time in St. Maarten and HATED it! It could have been because it was the last day of the cruise or it could have been that it was boring. I do like some action on the beach.

Great bay because it is a busy port is not as crystal clear as other beaches. And as with any beach there is pollution, but we just spent 2 weeks in Philipsburg and went swimming almost everyday with no issues. And there are lots of locals that swim there, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

But if you want crystal clear water, little, surf & some beach bars you might want to check out Grand Case.

Thank you for the information. I loved Great Bay when i was there two years ago. Lots of people to watch and LOTS of beach bars. Plus shopping is right there. I feel better knowing the locals swim there. I might just have to just go back there, but I will check out Grand Case right now.

Have you considered taking an excursion on a catamaran?

Golden Eagle is a good one with a great beach stop. :)

I will research Golden Eagle. I rarely take excursion because I really love spending most of my time in port at the beach and in the water.

I looked up the Tour and Grand Case and see negatives with both. I really want to be on the beach and the tour is at least 119 per person. Didn't want to spend that much. Grand case looks awesome but the beach appears small. I am reading up more on Orient and see that there is an area of beach that is protected by a reef. Does anyone know what bars are in that area?

We stayed for one week on the beach in Grand Case prior to our Wind Surf cruise in January 2016. Our condo was next door to the Rainbow Cafe where you can use their beach chairs by ordering food and drink from them. We ate there on several occasions and it was all good. The water was calm and crystal clear. There are many restraurants and bars that you could walk to from the Rainbow Cafe. We loved our week there and it's not that far of a ride from the port.

We stayed for one week on the beach in Grand Case prior to our Wind Surf cruise in January 2016. Our condo was next door to the Rainbow Cafe where you can use their beach chairs by ordering food and drink from them. We ate there on several occasions and it was all good. The water was calm and crystal clear. There are many restraurants and bars that you could walk to from the Rainbow Cafe. We loved our week there and it's not that far of a ride from the port.

Thanks Ski Mom. Did you ever find this beach to be crowded? I have been looking at pictures and the beach looks very narrow. The water does seem like I would love it. Do you have any pictures you can share?

Well it looks like i just secured transportation to get to Pinel. I am very excited about this as this is where I wanted to go originally. If that should happen to not pan out, I am either going to Orient, Grand Case or Little Bay...hahahaha. I would decide when I got there basically.

If your looking for a great beach with bars and sights to see, it would be Orient. Its not that far from the port and depending on what time you return you might have time to shop on Front St.

I do have some great photographs from the beach in Grand Case. If someone could share with me how to get them from my iPad to this forum I can post them! I've tried before but can't remember how it's done!

If your looking for a great beach with bars and sights to see, it would be Orient. Its not that far from the port and depending on what time you return you might have time to shop on Front St.

Thanks for the info. Right now Orient is my second choice. Do you happen to know what bar/restaurant is near the are where the beach is calmer? I have been search the Internet and no such luck finding out. I went to orient a few years ago and the surf was rough where we were.

I do have some great photographs from the beach in Grand Case. If someone could share with me how to get them from my iPad to this forum I can post them! I've tried before but can't remember how it's done!

I can't tell you how to post them. I probably need to figure it out before the cruise because I would like to do a short photo review when I return from my cruise in June. Right now grand case is my third choice. I was able to secure a taxi to and from Pinel and that is where I really wanted to go. If that falls through I will just figure it out when I get there. Thank you for the information.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for the information. I loved Great Bay when i was there two years ago. Lots of people to watch and LOTS of beach bars. Plus shopping is right there. I feel better knowing the locals swim there. I might just have to just go back there, but I will check out Grand Case right now.

The locals I have seen in the water in Great Bay were renting the trampoline and jet skis. Go there on a day with no ships in and even though the area has lots of homes nearby you will see that this beach is almost empty except by the area by the resorts down by the far end. We like walking the board walk and having lunch at Chesterfields near the port when we visit on non- cruise ship days in the summer and the beach is pretty much empty compared to the other beaches on the island but many vacationers choose non- cruise ship days to shop or lunch in Philipsburg but they beach elsewhere.