Alaska land meal plan

Karen Lynn

Food is very expensive in Alaska. Keep that in mind for your budget. Even so, we opted not to get the meal plan and thus ate other places (sometimes cheaper) than what were allowed on the meal plan. The meal plan restricts where you eat. On your own, you can eat other places also. Yes there are lots of good eats in Alaska.

I would do their land meal plan. The food at Princess lodges is fantastic, it's convenient, and I think they let you choose whatever you want. When we were at one, we heard some people by us all ordering king crab legs because it was included in their meal plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My only hesitation ..

Lunches not included ...and of course, no alcohol.

The plan isn't cheap. :confused:

Yes, the pricing is exhorbitant. You're really paying for convenience. It makes it more like the cruise experience. You could eat a big breakfast and just snack at lunchtime.

I got the info directly from Princess ..for a 6 night land tour it's $424 PP

Breakfast // dinner taxes, gratuities incl.

OK - Thank you! My mom is the one who paid for the trip, so she probably got an email or something. That is expensive, but then again, looking at the prices of the food in general...:eek:

Based on the pricing you stated, it would be a good value if you want to go all out and not stress about tipping, paying, and nickel and diming. If, however, you're content with a pastry and coffee for breakfast and just an entree for dinner (no app, drink, or dessert), you would save a lot of money by paying for everything on your own.

The other issue in my mind is food quantity. Seldom do my wife and I get meals at a restaurant and include appetizer and dessert. And with a full day on a land tour, dinners will be later than normal. I can't imagine retiring every night having stuffed myself and trying to sleep to be ready for a full day starting at 6:00 AM. After considering the prices, looking at the menus at the various restaurants in the Princess lodges, and the benefits of the meal plan; I opted to not use he plan.

Based on the pricing you stated, it would be a good value if you want to go all out and not stress about tipping, paying, and nickel and diming. If, however, you're content with a pastry and coffee for breakfast and just an entree for dinner (no app, drink, or dessert), you would save a lot of money by paying for everything on your own.

Thank you!!! This is so helpful to know. My mom and I aren't big "foodies," so we will probably stick to just dining on our own!

That's a little over $35 per meal. I haven't seen a breakfast worth that lately but dinner perhaps. In Denali where we stayed there was a subway where a sandwich is only $6-7 so keep that in mind. Also we did a cabin dinner so you would be paying a lot for a meal you didn't use if you choose to do a cabin dinner at the Princess lodge.

This doesn't go directly to the thread topic, but it might be of use. The Alaska food prices sticker shock is probably a lot less if you live in an expensive part of the country. We're in California, and the prices in Alaska never looked all that bad to us at all. Conversely, if you live in a less expensive part of the country, you'll probably be in for a nasty shock.

That's a little over $35 per meal. I haven't seen a breakfast worth that lately but dinner perhaps. In Denali where we stayed there was a subway where a sandwich is only $6-7 so keep that in mind. Also we did a cabin dinner so you would be paying a lot for a meal you didn't use if you choose to do a cabin dinner at the Princess lodge.

Where could I find places to eat without a car near the lodge in Fairbanks? What about other "fast food" close to the lodge in Denali? I had rather not eat at the lodges.

Where could I find places to eat without a car near the lodge in Fairbanks? What about other "fast food" close to the lodge in Denali? I had rather not eat at the lodges.

Denali was one long block with everything walkable and like I stated a subway is there among other choices. I don't remember exactly where we ate in other cities but remember there was plenty of choices and pizza parlors were easy to find.

The cabin dinner / show in Denali at Princess lodge was lovely. We hadn't used Princess but went with RCL on our Alaskan cruisetour which used Princess' dinner theatre. We stayed on the Bluff's with RCL which was not convenient or as nice as the Princess Lodge. Next time we'll do a Princess Cruisetour.

Edited by cruzsnooze