Carnival Breeze or Royal Caribbean Freedom?

Cover charge includes all food, drink and shakes you want,.

Incorrect. Shakes are definitely extra. Sodas are too unless you have a good waiter. JRs charges for soda most of the time

While food is subjective, I know what shoe leather tastes like and I can't say I've every had to eat a shoe leather steak on ANY cruise line MDR. I really have no idea where that comparison could have come from.

Lol. I actually stole it from the RC forum a long time ago. My point is the MDR steaks are tough hence the shoe leather comment. Im not the one that actually made that up about Royals steaks but the point I was trying to say is Royal doesnt use good cuts of meat for MDR steaks and charges an extra 18-20 dollars for "something special" in their steakhouse

Correct me if Im wrong here but it appears you havent been on an RC ship in 4 years. A LOT has changed :o

Edited by ryano

Lol. I actually stole it from the RC forum a long time ago. My point is the MDR steaks are tough hence the shoe leather comment. Im not the one that actually made that up about Royals steaks but the point I was trying to say is Royal doesnt use good cuts of meat for MDR steaks and charges an extra 18-20 dollars for "something special" in their steakhouse

Correct me if Im wrong here but it appears you havent been on an RC ship in 4 years. A LOT has changed :o

Manhattan cut (new york strip), prime rib and filet are on the menu at some point, with the Manhattan cut every night. I have only seen one shoe leather steak once when someone order well done. Although they are not "great steaks" they are certainly not as you described it.

Does not Carnival use a skirt steak on daily menu instead?

I loved the cupcakes from Cupcake Cupboard on the Freedom. The key lime cupcake is wonderful, the pistachio is a close second. The class is fun too, we made the burger and fries. I heard rumors that they were going to replace the cupcake area with something else, but I don't know if that is true or not. The Freedom is a favorite, I so agree that the pizza is not the best, but I had a slice and a cheesecake lollipop every night as a bedtime snack.

20151024_1242351.jpg.eccac770deb7bdef71414ff285619496.jpg

Edited by dacsmom

One thing though, is that RCCL will have better quality steaks and I'm sure no one will argue that point.

I will argue that point. Although it's my opinion that Royal's overall product is a notch or two above Carnival, I have to give credit where credit is due. Carnival's steaks at their Steakhouses are fantastic. Literally, some of the best steaks that I've ever experienced, both on land and at sea. Definitely superior than Chop's on Royal (even better than the Pinnacle Grill on Holland America).

Our experience at Chop's has been mediocre, with service, quality of steaks, as well as the way they were prepared. We consider their upcharge a waste of money. We never feel that way on Carnival and gladly pay their upcharge every time, not only for the steaks, but for the overall ambiance of their Steakhouses.

If you're referring to the steaks offered at the MDR which are included in the regular menu, in my opinion the quality is about the same on both cruise lines: bad. I'll order them if I'm having a craving for red meat, but eating these is not any more memorable than eating a steak from Denny's.

Edited by Tapi

Manhattan cut (new york strip), prime rib and filet are on the menu at some point, with the Manhattan cut every night. I have only seen one shoe leather steak once when someone order well done. Although they are not "great steaks" they are certainly not as you described it.

Does not Carnival use a skirt steak on daily menu instead?

The filet you speak of is "filet of beef", not to be confused with filet mignon. Its a decent meal. That I will give you. The Prime rib was just horrible in the MDR on Freedom last year. On Carnival Magic I had a very nice Prime Rib along with my lobster in the MDR.

I personally do not care for those "aged manhattan cut" steaks. Just a fancy name given to an inferior grade of beef. I tried it twice last year and gave up. The sad thing is, in Chops, the steaks weren't much better. IMO

I saw a flat iron steak on Carnival menu every night. I never ordered it as I try and reserve my MDR dining for things I dont normally get on land like lamb, duck, etc and if I want a steak, will generally go to the steakhouse.

While I will agree that there are better steaks out there, a flat iron steak is just fine when cooked to a nice medium rare though from previous experience. Anything past that and you might as well be chewing on a leather belt.

The OP appears to have chosen Freedom. I hope her cruise is fantastic. Freedom is a beautiful ship. I just dont think its gonna be head and heels above what she is use to on Carnival. Especially when choosing a new ship like Breeze or Magic.

Edited by ryano

I will argue that point. Although it's my opinion that Royal's overall product is a notch or two above Carnival, I have to give credit where credit is due. Carnival's steaks at their Steakhouses are fantastic. Literally, some of the best steaks that I've ever experienced, both on land and at sea. Definitely superior than Chop's on Royal (even better than the Pinnacle Grill on Holland America).

Our experience at Chop's has been mediocre, with service, quality of steaks, as well as the way they were prepared. We consider their upcharge a waste of money. We never feel that way on Carnival and gladly pay their upcharge every time, not only for the steaks, but for the overall ambiance of their Steakhouses.

If you're referring to the steaks offered at the MDR which are included in the regular menu, in my opinion the quality is about the same on both cruise lines: bad. I'll order them if I'm having a craving for red meat, but eating these is not any more memorable than eating a steak from Denny's.

I agree 100% with everything you said.

Love this thread and was thinking of swapping out my Breeze cruise for FOS in September.

Which would you say has you feeling more connected to the sea?

I feel like on the FOS, the focus is much more towards the inside of the ship and less about being outside and seeing the ocean. For example, the promenade has food, etc., but you are in a mall. On the Breeze, you have the outdoor eating and drinking areas like Ocean Plaza (the exterior part), the outdoor seating area for Red Frog Pub, etc. Is there anything similar on FOS?

Particularly away from lido where everybody wants to sit?

Love this thread and was thinking of swapping out my Breeze cruise for FOS in September.

I feel like on the FOS, the focus is much more towards the inside of the ship and less about being outside and seeing the ocean. For example, the promenade has food, etc., but you are in a mall. On the Breeze, you have the outdoor eating and drinking areas like Ocean Plaza (the exterior part), the outdoor seating area for Red Frog Pub, etc. Is there anything similar on FOS?

This!!

Sailed both in the last year. Breeze makes much better use of the promenade deck and feeling like you're on a ship! The Royal Promenade is nice, but IMO it does feel like a shopping mall. Both ships have several strong points and id sail both again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The focus IS to the inside on Voyager class and up IMO. Especially Oasis class. It's real easy to forget you are on a ship on Freedom. I knew I was on a ship on Magic.

The only place on Freedom I can really connect to the sea is deck 4. I don't get balcony cabins so it's my favorite place. No one uses it hardly. There are deck chairs but nothing out there as far as food or drink goes. Great place to go for quiet time and watching the ocean go by. The Schooner bar is real close by.

If I was picking ship only, I'd likely go Freedom, again. It's a beautiful ship. For everything else, give me Breeze or Magic

9eff1751.jpgimage.jpeg

Edited by ryano

I am the OP. Thanks so much everyone for your comments. I'm more confused than ever! :D I do have Freedom of the Seas booked (did I mention that--not sure how someone knew that), but I am trying to decide if I should cancel. To be honest, I have been on Freedom of the Seas four times already--this will be my 8th Royal cruise. But, I'm getting a bit bored. I think it might be time to just totally try something new! Thanks also for all your honesty! I thought posting this on the Carnival thread might show all pro-Carnival, but you've all been very honest!! Still not sure what we'll do...my husband can't imagine that I'm considering not being "loyal to royal."

To be honest, I have been on Freedom of the Seas four times already--this will be my 8th Royal cruise. But, I'm getting a bit bored. I think it might be time to just totally try something new!

Hmmm. As mentioned before, I consider Royal to be a notch or two above Carnival, but not enough to sail on the same exact ship for the 5th time. In your position, I would definitely pick the Breeze. I'm a sucker for new ships, destinations, and experiences.

As a side note, we sailed on the Carnival Dream (Breeze's sister) the same year that we sailed on Allure of the Seas. I was afraid that, in comparison, the Dream would be disappointing, but we had a fantastic time. About the only thing that we didn't like was that she felt a bit crowded at times, but it wasn't a major issue.

Give the Breeze a try. [emoji3]

I am the OP. Thanks so much everyone for your comments. I'm more confused than ever! :D I do have Freedom of the Seas booked (did I mention that--not sure how someone knew that), but I am trying to decide if I should cancel. To be honest, I have been on Freedom of the Seas four times already--this will be my 8th Royal cruise. But, I'm getting a bit bored. I think it might be time to just totally try something new! Thanks also for all your honesty! I thought posting this on the Carnival thread might show all pro-Carnival, but you've all been very honest!! Still not sure what we'll do...my husband can't imagine that I'm considering not being "loyal to royal."

The Breeze has some amazing lunch venues - Blue Iguana, Guys Burgers, Seaday BBQ, Deli, Pizza, Pasta Bar, tandoori, etc.

They have some unique cabins you may want to look at - Spa cabins, cove balconies, 4J's.

If you're getting bored, then I encourage you to try something new. With a ship like the Breeze that has so many of the new bells and whistles of the Carnival Brand, you won't be disappointed. And you never know - you might find a new favourite ;).

Very easy decision then.

I would definitely cancel FOTS and try Breeze. You will likely be pleasantly surprised. I was with Magic which is now about identical.

The only place I consider Royal a notch or two above is in the design and decor of their ships which is way down on my list of priorities. Give Carnival a try

Edited by ryano

We sailed on the Breeze last February and we loved it. The ship was so clean and we had no issues. The food was good and we had no issues with lines or anything. The staff was very good as well. It all depends on what type of ship you want to be on and what each ship has to offer. I myself, love Carnival. Never had any issues with them..