Jewel of the Seas - any reports from May yet Pleeeease!?

I'd also be interested to hear how the ship is doing in Europe. Especially a real speed test on the 'Voom' Internet.

Oh yes, I'd like to hear that too! I prebooked the 30% off special thinking that if it is not what they advertise, I'd have a chance to cancel it.

Does anybody have any experience? I'm cruising only in late July, so plenty of time for your reviews!

On the Jewel now - ship is great, staff are friendly.

Solarium served hot dogs burgers pizzas, fruits, Pitta breads and rolls

Formal night was last night (sea day) and there's one more.

Bit choppy leaving Rome 3 days ago, settled down now

We will have three teenagers with us also, sounds like there will be plenty of teens on this cruise! Mine are 19,16,14 with the 16 year old turning 17 during the cruise.

We are flying to Rome from the states and I have so much anxiety about that part. Anyone have any tips? I think I might have to visit my doctor for some medication to get through it. So much anxiety!!

I just cannot wait to go to Greece.....two more weeks!!

...have they fixed up the Solarium at all... meaning did they replace the blueish green sun faded shrubbery. It made it look very old and uninviting....

Yes, I'd agree! The blue-green tinge made them look so strange... and fake... and uninviting, you are quite right. :o

For anyone on since the drydock, have they fixed up the Solarium at all... meaning did they replace the blueish green sun faded shrubbery. It made it look very old and uninviting.

Would love to know about this. Also, no Park Cafe? :eek:

I was on board for the May 13 and May 23 sailings and have all of the cruise compasses. I will post them sometime next week once I have them scanned to my computer.

Thanks Gibbycat that would be great, hope you had a fab time.

I was on board for the May 13 and May 23 sailings and have all of the cruise compasses. I will post them sometime next week once I have them scanned to my computer.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Ship very clean now. Was on for crossing and the 10 day following. Teens will enjoy the rock wall and mini golf course. Crew very friendly. They are introducing some new menus but most are the same old ones. Evening entertainment was fairly good and mostly teens will enjoy as well. Rooms have all been redone with new carpet etc. love the new drapes in the suites. Lovely.

Would suggest transportation booked ahead from airport to Rome to ship. All are quite far apart and not easy to do with luggage.

Yes, the music didn't play past midnight. But... On the 70's night it was super loud! We're we deck 8 right off the centrum. I booked this room knowing it maybe loud...

Won't book this close to the centrum again. And I was worried people would be loud in the halls, never heard a thing from passengers in the hallway.

The 70's night party is always pretty loud. We were also on deck 8, but between the mid-ship and front elevators. We never heard a thing from our cabin.

I agree with you on not booking close to the Centrum. Bands or some other form of entertainment are there every night.

We just got off Jewel after 34 days. Food is pretty decent. You have the main dining room as well as the trough (Windjammer). We had increased sanitary measures as a few got sick. The WJ has a gazillion hands touching tongs, ladles, well, you get it. Stay away from there and use the main dining room as much as possible. Lunch in the DR is great and you can get super salads and pasta as well as the menu fare. Again, less hands touching means a healthier cruise. We've been on 50+ cruises and speak from experience. There are specialty restaurants for a price. Chops is by far the best (IMHO) unless they move Chef's table back to the card room. Izumi charges per item. Park Cafe now has pizza and sandwiches and soup at no additional charge. Water, coffee, teas, lemonade and colored water are gratis. Soda and alcohol you buy at a premium.

Realize that your kids are going to go off on their own and you might see them at dinner and then again maybe at 2-4am when they come back to the room. Seriously! We took ours on many years ago and they had a blast and were very autonomous. Let them have their space. Wishing you a wonderful cruise. You can read about our experiences as soon as I post the reviews. I can recommend some very affordable private tours if you send me a PM.

Hi Everyone,

I have attached the cruise compasses from the May 23rd sailing. There was a problem with the curtain for the first four nights so the first show was cancelled and the Celtic Tenors played twice (two different shows). They were amazing. Carlo Truzzi was on the May 13 sailing so I saw him there. His act was a hand shadow show and it was pretty neat.

Thanks,

Christine

Day 1.pdf

Day 2.pdf

Day 3.pdf

Day 4.pdf

Day 5.pdf

Day 6.pdf

Day 7.pdf

Day 8.pdf

Day 9.pdf

Hi there. We're sailing on July 10 and we'll have 7 teens between two families. Trying to do as much research as I can before we go. I hope there are more reports on the ship before that. Have a great trip :)

Hi Kirm, relax and enjoy the cruise. I'm sure the kids won't get board. The food on board is really good, you've got to try the kummelweck! Definately recommend dinner in the main dinning room, the staff/waiters make it so special. :)

Edited by TomLin62

Is Enzo still making stupid mistakes in the Compass? Tone of the primary duties of the A M is a correct compass and our cruise, there were so many mistakes that it had to be reprinted and distributed. Poor. Hope he is retrained and moved to another ship before we board again in October.

We just got back from the Jewel's June 1-10 sailing. Some random thoughts/observations:

1. The ship looked great.

2. The main dining room staff was fantastic, and the general level of service on the ship was really good.

3. The food in the main dining room was hit and miss - some great, and some uninspiring. The desserts overall were really lacking in flavor/variety - a ton of mousse-based desserts.

4. The food in the Windjammer - so/so.

5. The entertainment really needs improvement. We went to the headliner show almost every night, but left a couple of times because of the quality level.

6. Because the ship is smaller, RC should really put more effort into activity planning, IMHO, particularly on sea days.

7. There were two formal nights - days 3 and 7, and the level of participation was high.

8. The ports were great in general - I would highly recommend the kayak tour in Mykonos (not ship excursion) - a great experience.

9. Getting on the ship was easy and painless - getting off (with our luggage) was confusing and a little choatic.

I'll be glad to answer any questions...

Jesse

Also, my biggest bit of advice is to not feel like you need to rush around and see every ruin and take every tour - but just take time to enjoy the places you visit. Our most enjoyable time of this trip was actually hanging out at an outdoor restaurant in Rome (pre-cruise) at night, enjoying the atmosphere, talking and people watching.

Hello - can you advise how quick and earliest you can disembark - we have an early flight out of FCO airport and need to get off quickly - would it be quickest to carry off our own bags?

Thanks

Hello - can you advise how quick and earliest you can disembark - we have an early flight out of FCO airport and need to get off quickly - would it be quickest to carry off our own bags?

Thanks

Yes, those that carry their own bags get off first.

Hi Kirm, relax and enjoy the cruise. I'm sure the kids won't get board. The food on board is really good, you've got to try the kummelweck! Definately recommend dinner in the main dinning room, the staff/waiters make it so special. :)

Do they have the kummelweck every day on jewel now? Guess they only serve it in the solarium cafè. Is the quality of others foods in the solarium decent aswell?

We docked in Rome at 5:00am. They had us assemble in the theater at 6:45am. We were off the ship at 7:00am, and had a private driver to the airport. We had a 10:35am flight out of FCO, and made it in plenty of time - but I am not guaranteeing that will be everyone's experience. I know they recommend 3 hours.