Global entry

RNGALNG

I wanted to comment since many are not familiar with SENTRI.

Most people do not realize that Global Entry actually gives you all or part of the following other programs: TSA PreCheck, NEXUS, and SENTRI. GE is actually cheaper than SENTRI, but has the same benefits and more. (Be sure to register your car for SENTRI at your initial interview as it is free then, but does cost more if you add it later. (They will inspect it as well.) This is for returning to the US from Mexico while driving. This is great if you live near the border and drive to Mexico. I have crossed in 5-10 minutes, when other were waiting for hours!) TSA PreCheck is dependent upon your boarding pass receiving the TSA PreCheckdesignation, which is not 100% guaranteed all of the time. The NEXUS benefit for GE is only going back into the US, you have to pay additional fees and qualify for Full NEXUS for going into Canada in the NEXUS lanes.

Below is copied from:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/frequently-asked-questions (There is a bunch of good information here in their FAQ's!)

How are Global Entry cards used?

CBP accepts Global Entry cards for lawful U.S. entry at land and sea ports of entry. Global Entry cards have radio frequency identification, which enables their use at SENTRI and NEXUS expedited travel lanes entering the U.S. Global Entry cards are not valid for entry into Canada via the NEXUS lanes and kiosks. Global Entry cards are not accepted at Global Entry kiosks, which require passports or U.S. lawful permanent resident cards. Global Entry card holders must follow all program rules for SENTRI and NEXUS when using this card at land and sea ports of entry.

Now I am not sure about if NEXUS will give you SENTRI or not??? They say that NEXUS gives you GE Privileges, but it is unclear if the SENTRI flow down from GE is included??? Wonder if any NEXUS Folks know for sure???

Happy Cruising!!!

Mark

Putterdude:

I should clarify: I was told by both the Canadian and US agents at Seattle that passport details entered in GOES do update the US systems, but that it doesn't flow to the Canadian system, so it's only an issue when you try to enter Canada. They both said any NEXUS program office can update without an appointment, and acknowledged the website says the exact opposite.

The information regarding GE on the CBP website is that you can use the GE kiosks when entering the United States via Canadian Preclearance airports. It is unclear from the website if you can use the NEXUS card for GE from other countries. Does anyone have direct experience using you NEXUS card for entry to the US from other countries?

The information regarding GE on the CBP website is that you can use the GE kiosks when entering the United States via Canadian Preclearance airports. It is unclear from the website if you can use the NEXUS card for GE from other countries. Does anyone have direct experience using you NEXUS card for entry to the US from other countries?

You explicitly CANNOT use the NEXUS *card* for GE by air - even when you enter from Canada. Only Canada supports NEXUS "air mode" for arrival clearance.

You use the GE kiosks only with a passport book. No other document works - if you try, you get a snarly error message. The passport number and your fingerprints link you to your GE privilege. It's literally the exact same as if your GE privilege were granted by direct GE membership. You no longer get a GE sticker on your passport, and you don't get a GE membership card for land crossings - you're expected to use your NEXUS card. It just works.

My last two clearances with GE literally took seconds, and my primary program membership is NEXUS. One was kiosk and exit lane (air mode) and one was at Canada Place (front of line to live agent).

Our GE appt is this Wednesday, and I'm hoping it will be just a couple of question and fingerprints. But if it's more in depth, so be it!

I know the program is good for 5 years, but is that 5 years from conditional approval or final approval? I'm hoping final approval, because we got conditional approval last November and are just now going in for our appointment.

Our GE appt is this Wednesday, and I'm hoping it will be just a couple of question and fingerprints. But if it's more in depth, so be it!

I know the program is good for 5 years, but is that 5 years from conditional approval or final approval? I'm hoping final approval, because we got conditional approval last November and are just now going in for our appointment.

My interview (at BWI) was a bit longer then expected because the CBP Agent spent some time paging through my Passport (we have a lot of stamps) and was fascinating by the number of times we had been in Turkey (all on cruises). He then engaged me in a friendly discussion about Turkey and had we felt safe (we did). As I recall, the 5 years begins from the date they actually give you final approval and issue the number (often the same day as the interview or within the next couple of days).

Hank

My interview (at BWI) was a bit longer then expected because the CBP Agent spent some time paging through my Passport (we have a lot of stamps) and was fascinating by the number of times we had been in Turkey (all on cruises). He then engaged me in a friendly discussion about Turkey and had we felt safe (we did). As I recall, the 5 years begins from the date they actually give you final approval and issue the number (often the same day as the interview or within the next couple of days).

Hank

All of that "friendly discussion" was the digging down into the details of the application to which I referred. He wanted to make sure you had actually taken the trips and could discuss specifics about the country.:cool:

All this discussion made me start wondering when I might have to renew, so I checked my status. We received our GE approval in November of 2012. The terms actually run longer than 5 years; they run until your next birthday after 5 years from issuance date. Because my wife and I both have birthdays in the summer, our cards do not expire until each of our birthdays in the summer of 2018.:)

What do you have to do to renew it? Do you have to go for another interview?

DW and I enrolled in GE five years ago at the same time as our traveling companions. Our companions did not have to re-interview, but we do. I think it may be because we relocated, but I'm not sure. I intend to ask when we have our interview in two weeks.

At Vancouver airport, we had to go through the security line because we didn't carry our actual GOES cards with us. My husband shortly before had flown out of Montreal airport and they didn't require him to have the card. Same thing at Toronto. So now we will always carry those cards.

That was one more annoying thing about Vancouver. I didn't really like Vancouver, though it has a pretty setting.

At Vancouver airport, we had to go through the security line because we didn't carry our actual GOES cards with us. My husband shortly before had flown out of Montreal airport and they didn't require him to have the card. Same thing at Toronto. So now we will always carry those cards.

Yup. The contractors that control access to the CATSA security lines are pretty emphatic that way. They also don't recognize the CBP GE stickers that predate the cards.

Easiest debarkation ever! There was exactly 1 person in front of us at the Global Entry checkpoint at Terminal #4 in Ft. Lauderdale. Showed our cards and zipped right through. TSA Pre-Check got us right through security at the airport. Used Luggage Valet so there were no bags to worry about. What a deal! :D

Easiest debarkation ever! There was exactly 1 person in front of us at the Global Entry checkpoint at Terminal #4 in Ft. Lauderdale. Showed our cards and zipped right through. TSA Pre-Check got us right through security at the airport. Used Luggage Valet so there were no bags to worry about. What a deal! :D

Now, that's a perfect ending to hopefully what was a perfect cruise:D

Do they send you a notice when it is time to renew?

Here is what I received about seven months prior to expiration

----------

Date: December 31, 2015 at 3:17:54 AM PST

To:

Subject: Program Expiry

Your Trusted Traveler membership will be expiring soon. If you wish to renew your membership, you will need to log onto the GOES website at https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/main/goes to submit your renewal application.

This is an automated email. Please do not reply.

FORM: Program expiry for Global Entry, FAST South, or SENTRY.

When you respond to the message above, you'll update any changed information, and then you will get one of three messages: provisionally-approved: schedule appointment, approved or declined.

Most of the time if your primary residence, employment and travel risk profile hasn't changed, it will be Approved. At least for NEXUS, there's a pretty solid chance of being asked to reinterview at a northern border. Some NEXUS members who have moved and renewed have been able to downgrade to GE only without an interview after one was requested for NEXUS, but you don't find out until after you've paid the $50 for NEXUS, gotten sent a required interview notification and then paid $100 for GE alone.

When you respond to the message above, you'll update any changed information, and then you will get one of three messages: provisionally-approved: schedule appointment, approved or declined.

Most of the time if your primary residence, employment and travel risk profile hasn't changed, it will be Approved. At least for NEXUS, there's a pretty solid chance of being asked to reinterview at a northern border. Some NEXUS members who have moved and renewed have been able to downgrade to GE only without an interview after one was requested for NEXUS, but you don't find out until after you've paid the $50 for NEXUS, gotten sent a required interview notification and then paid $100 for GE alone.

Yikes. It sounds confusing for me. I had GE then got NEXUS and told the superseded GE and not to bother using it. It sounds like I have to make a trip north when it expires.

Thanks for the info.

I can't speak specifically about Global Entry but my Nexus card expires on my birthday (which is in late May) but my interview was at the end of February so I actually get 5 years and 3 months out of mine. I suspect that GE would be similar (just like passports).

It's five years from your next birthday after your final approval, which is issued a few hours to a day after your interview appointment. I got nearly six years as a result.
DW and I have our GE interviews two weeks after DW's birthday and two weeks before mine. Looks like she will get almost six years and I will get just slightly over five years [emoji45]

Just got back from our GOES appt. Boy was that easy! DH and I were interviewed together, and were in and out in about 10 minutes. The agent asked why we wanted Global Entry, asked what upcoming trips we have planned, if we've ever been convicted of a crime (or something along those lines), then explained how the program worked. Verified our basic information, took our fingerprints, a photo, and scanned our passports. He said we would be getting our cards in the mail within a couple of weeks.

I asked him about "holding" my approval for a week since my birthday is next Thursday, but his response wasn't really clear. I just got the impression that there wasn't anything he could do, and he seemed to think that it didn't make any difference anyway.

Sounds easy enough! Just out of curiosity how long did it take from the time you applied until you got the provisional approval?

I don't remember for sure because we applied last November. We waited until now to do our interview because we aren't flying anywhere until August and I didn't see any reason to get it early and have the clock ticking on the 5 years. I think it was very quick to get the provisional approval, maybe a week or two?

We had our interview in DFW a month ago and were asked NO questions. We were fingerprinted and out in less than 15 minutes. We had back to back appointments and he let us come in together. Cannot believe it is so different from airport to airport. Friend just got pre-approval and first appointment at DFW was August!

Gwen we also had our "interview" at DFW (we live in far North Dallas), and DH was asked one question, and I was asked no questions -- just fingerprinted and picture taken. Very quick. You are right; it sounds like different airports have different procedures. So glad we did this about 2 months ago, as now the rush is on.

We just finished an Alaskan cruise out of SEATAC. The regular TSA line had hundreds of people in it, while the precheck line only had 10 or less. I felt as if it paid for itself just on that one trip.