Teenage son evening wear

winewithaview

My son is 15 and we are going on oceana later this year. On the smart/casual evenings, would tops like this be ok with a pair of dark jeans or is the top not smart enough? Are teenagers ok to wear trainers on these evenings also? Thank you.

ImageUploadedByForums1463939692.317806.jpg.d05fe1a470eab934c6f78a99795a61b8.jpg

Here's the P&O page on the subject:

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/dress_code, which reads:

Evening Casual

Stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal for Evening Casual nights, for example casual separates or dresses for ladies and open-neck polo shirts and casual long trousers (not shorts or 3/4 length trousers) for men. A jacket and smart trousers can be worn but are not compulsory. Smart dark denim is also fine, but not trainers, football shirts or tracksuits.

So yes to smart jeans (no designer ripped jobs) but no to the t-shirt and trainers.

On a side note, you may find he'd rather hang with the friends he makes in the teen club and eat with them in the buffet. This sometimes happens with our teen daughter.

My son is 15 and we are going on oceana later this year. On the smart/casual evenings, would tops like this be ok with a pair of dark jeans or is the top not smart enough? Are teenagers ok to wear trainers on these evenings also? Thank you.

Evening Casual

Stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal for Evening Casual nights, for example casual separates or dresses for ladies and open-neck polo shirts and casual long trousers (not shorts or 3/4 length trousers) for men. A jacket and smart trousers can be worn but are not compulsory. Smart dark denim is also fine, but not trainers, football shirts or tracksuits.

For a typical two week cruise there are normally ten Evening Casual nights.

The above is the dress code for evening casual. the jeans are ok...maybe a polo instead of the t. It states no trainers. Any chance he could wear the slip on type of trainer-no laces...thinking vans or sketchers or cheaper versions of.

From other posters with children, you will probably not see much of him during the cruise, as the clubs are so good on board.

Thankyou for your replies.

Is the dress code throughout the ship in the evening or just in the specific areas as it is on formal night? We plan on eating mainly in the buffet and beach house, so wondered if tops like this would be ok in there as I don't really want to buy 5 polo shirts unless I have to as he wouldn't wear them other than on the cruise.

Thankyou "the English lady" for the tip on my son wearing his vans in an evening, perfect! [emoji4]

Thankyou for your replies.

Is the dress code throughout the ship in the evening or just in the specific areas as it is on formal night? We plan on eating mainly in the buffet and beach house, so wondered if tops like this would be ok in there as I don't really want to buy 5 polo shirts unless I have to as he wouldn't wear them other than on the cruise.

Thankyou "the English lady" for the tip on my son wearing his vans in an evening, perfect! [emoji4]

The minimum dress code of evening casual applies throughout most of the ship, the buffets are the usual exception.. there is more information on the dress codes and where they apply here.....

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/enforced_dresscode

Edited by Mysticalmother

I believe the T-shirts should have a collar.

Not according to the P&O web site.

The only things prohibited are "trainers, football shirts or tracksuits", everything else is fine.

Therefore the shirt the OP showed would in my opinion be fine.

As for "trainers", it depends what P&O means, but (for example) I have never been thrown out when wearing Converse AllStars.

I've had a chat with my husband about this, we think the T-shirt is fine for a teenager with dark jeans, especially if eating in the buffet. We think dark/smart casual shoes will be fine but would avoid white trainers. I generally think that there are a lot of people onboard who dress more casually than dress-code threads would suggest (although less so if dining in MDR). I also think that generally people wouldn't take too much notice of what the teenagers are doing, but maybe that's because I'm fairly easy going. When I first started cruising some 15 years ago I'd have different expensive outfits for every night and dressing up was a big part of my cruise, these days I'm far more casual, it's just not a particularly important part of the holiday for me anymore. I think P&O recognise this cultural shift and are creating options for everyone's preferences. I know that might not be overly popular with some, but so long as everyone gets to do what suits them and respects the code in designated areas, I think the diversity is fine. I also work on the principal that people who worry about dress code aren't usually the people who need to.....

Certainly, there were t-shirts without collars on display on Evening Casual nights on the cruise I just returned from. Trainers not so much and deck shoes/ Vans type shoes were the order of the day for many.

We did see people in shorts being discreetly reminded of the time and dress code once 6pm had arrived.

It seems to depend on the staff interpretation of the dress code and willingness to enforce it. We were on one cruise on Ventura and anything seemed to be acceptable, there was a family who were allowed into the MDR wearing Liverpool football shirts on formal nights and were not challenged. We have also been on Ventura when the dress code was strictly adhered to and people were refused entry to the MDR including an older gentleman who was smartly dressed on a casual night but had black trainers on. I think that it is better to avoid any embarrassment by adhering to the code as stated on the P&O website or to eat in the buffet where there is no dress code.

You tend to see shirts with collars such as polo shirts but I don't recall seeing t-shirts shirts.

I tend to wear black Henry Boss 'trainers' as they look more classy than ordinary trainers, although I have also got a pair of black leather trainers from Clarkes that can also pass the test.

I know people on this forum are quite passionate about not wearing trainers to these evening but I wear shoes to work everyday and like something more comfortable on holiday.

Edited by shallwe

Whatever the dress code is for his father is the one for your 15 year old. The website says Dark jeans are okay with collared shirts, but trainers are specifically mentioned as prohibited.

I believe their is an age range for dress code, which is 18 years old. Under this age technically you do not have to comply according to the regulations. Sensibly one would follow the code as far as possible and at this age many teenagers will be dressing up on formal nights particularly. Trainers are not really suitable as evening wear.

Regards John

The 'code' is "Evening casual" with the key word being 'casual' and no strict prohibitions apart from you can't wear shorts, football shirts, trainers, or tracksuits.

Anything else goes, and any suggestion that shirts must have collars is simply in the minds of the people who wish the code said that.

On the evening casual nights my 15-year old wore dark jeans or navy or beige chinos with polo shirts or cotton short-sleeved shirts. For footwear he wore either his black (formal) school shoes or plain black trainers. He was happy because he felt comfortable, I was happy because he looked smart. The fact he was wearing smart (brand new) trainers was never an issue.

Matalan/H&M/Tesco/George at Asda are all good for polo shirts and short-sleeved shirts in styles likely to appeal to a fashion-conscious teen which won't break the bank.

When we cruised on Oceana my son was also 15. He wore black trousers and shirts or polo shirts on the first evening, thereafter he went to the kids club and didn't have many more evening meals with us. He either had meals in the buffet with his friends or they also had meals delivered to the club on a couple of nights. They had James Bond nights when it was formal, so they all wanted to dress up. The photographers also took photos of them all dressed up on the stairs.

Our last cruise on Ventura teenagers were wearing black trainers, t-shirts and dark jeans on casual evenings.

Hope you enjoy Oceana.

Just thought I would add to this thread that BHS have got some great deals on formal wear for teens at the minute (sorry, to take advantage of administration!) I got my son (age 15) a lovely tuxedo suit, shirt and bow tie ( John Rocha) for under £60. This will double up for his prom also!

Just thought I would add to this thread that BHS have got some great deals on formal wear for teens at the minute (sorry, to take advantage of administration!) I got my son (age 15) a lovely tuxedo suit, shirt and bow tie ( John Rocha) for under £60. This will double up for his prom also!

BHS also have some very nice evening dresses at great prices at the moment. I have not bought anything in BHS for many years but I went in there when I was in town last week and found a beautiful dress for only £30 which will be on view on Azura in July for one of the formal nights.