River Cruising?

We did a Rhine cruise many years ago (2008) with Avalon Waterways and really enjoyed it. Very comfortable ships. I believe they've gone more upmarket now with most cabins being suites. The food was great and they made an effort to have local specialties each night.

We did the cruise in mid-September and it was already starting to get quite cold there.

I keep on looking at the Amsterdam to Budapest river cruises but the cost puts me off!

I'm sure that we will get round to it some day.

They're a lot more expensive than when we did our Rhine cruise. That was 8 days and cost around $6200 for both of us, and that was in one of the best cabin categories. Highest deck but not a suite. Now, to get a similar cabin it would have to be a suite and cost almost that much per person.

We never spent much time in our cabin and having a suite would have been a waste of money, but all their new ships have suites on the upper two accommodation decks and cabins with narrow, high windows on the lowest deck.

BTW how are you feeling now? Have you shaken off the bug you caught on Golden?

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I keep on looking at the Amsterdam to Budapest river cruises but the cost puts me off!

I'm sure that we will get round to it some day.

Similarly and coupled with the river level issues (too high or low) that seem to be occurring more regularly, I will likely leave it for a few more years.

Did Amsterdam to Budapest in 2007 best cruise I have ever been on but totally different to ocean cruising. We did APT Amadagio was $2500 each late November, the 2nd last cruise of the season. Lots of snow, Christmas markets, only 140 odd passengers so very friendly. None of the glitz and glamour though. You really cant compare. Planning to do it again over the next few years as hubby has now discovered cruising.

The thing is most river cruises go for the upmarket, all-inclusive experience so they're a bit different from the mainstream ocean lines.

I also sailed some time ago, when it was a bit different in the packaging. Loved the experience, but quite different from ocean cruises. For me, I don't want all the bells and whistles as I want to be out more, but it comes down to preference. Seems most Australians have gone for the AI packages hence that's what's mainly marketed now.

Did Amsterdam to Budapest in 2007 best cruise I have ever been on but totally different to ocean cruising. We did APT Amadagio was $2500 each late November, the 2nd last cruise of the season. Lots of snow, Christmas markets, only 140 odd passengers so very friendly. None of the glitz and glamour though. You really cant compare. Planning to do it again over the next few years as hubby has now discovered cruising.

It was a shame the passengers were all odd, I suppose it made for an interesting cruise though.:p

The thing is most river cruises go for the upmarket, all-inclusive experience so they're a bit different from the mainstream ocean lines.

I also sailed some time ago, when it was a bit different in the packaging. Loved the experience, but quite different from ocean cruises. For me, I don't want all the bells and whistles as I want to be out more, but it comes down to preference. Seems most Australians have gone for the AI packages hence that's what's mainly marketed now.

Google is your friend, there are still plenty of cheaper (non-inclusive) river cruises available with companies that may or may not advertise in Australia.

One of those things I'd love to do. But need to get to Europe and back without flying.

Cruise to China (or Vladivostok) Then take the trans Siberia to Moscow. Train to Amsterdam. Return via Orient Express and Silk Road trains. Then cruise home again. Easy

(Anyone considering Trans Siberian wanting info PM me)

We don't mind all inclusive. Are there some lines that should be avoided? Scenic are advertising one on the box at the moment for $7000 something.

That's getting a bit high though. There are a few ads in the Sunday papers at about $5k-$6k. Do they all have bicycles available or just some as we would like a little of that too.

(Thinking of tacking on 2 weeks of narrowboating in UK either before or after.)

Google is your friend, there are still plenty of cheaper (non-inclusive) river cruises available with companies that may or may not advertise in Australia.

They're not as obvious though as the all inclusives do a lot of advertising and as mentioned are very popular.

We don't mind all inclusive. Are there some lines that should be avoided? Scenic are advertising one on the box at the moment for $7000 something.

That's getting a bit high though. There are a few ads in the Sunday papers at about $5k-$6k. Do they all have bicycles available or just some as we would like a little of that too.

I wouldn't say any to be avoided, though they each have different strengths or things they focus on. Not all have the bicycles. There's one recently starting that makes cycle tours the daily activity as well.

Also, if going just by price the dearer ones will be the ~15nighters along the Rhine. You'll see a number cheaper but they'll be the ~7-8 nighters there or in other parts.

There was a site I saw a while back that gave an overview of the different strengths. I'll try to find it.

I did the Budapest to Amsterdam in 2014 with Scenic and it was totally amazing. Completely different from ocean cruising but we loved it. Scenic have the assisted bikes and they are very easy to use.

Be aware Scenic are VERY popular , especially with Australians and you usually have to book at least 12 month in advance. We booked 14 months in advance, had to change our dates (it wasn't a problem) because the other times were all full, and got the last cabin in the category we wanted. They are all inclusive, we didn't pay for anything once on board except a massage.

We are totally hooked now and have just come back from cruising on the Mekong in Vietnam and Cambodia, again with Scenic. Awesome!

Cheers:)

I did the Budapest to Amsterdam in 2014 with Scenic and it was totally amazing. Completely different from ocean cruising but we loved it. Scenic have the assisted bikes and they are very easy to use.

Be aware Scenic are VERY popular , especially with Australians and you usually have to book at least 12 month in advance. We booked 14 months in advance, had to change our dates (it wasn't a problem) because the other times were all full, and got the last cabin in the category we wanted. They are all inclusive, we didn't pay for anything once on board except a massage.

We are totally hooked now and have just come back from cruising on the Mekong in Vietnam and Cambodia, again with Scenic. Awesome!

What a timely response. I have just finished reading CC reviews on Scenic and was not too impressed by what was mentioned. Perhaps only the whingers were doing reviews. By contrast I browsed Viking reviews and they seemed glowing by comparison. Hmmm

More research required methinks.

I don't take much notice of reviews. A lot of wingers post and the people who have a great time do not. On our Mekong cruise some people were not happy from the time they boarded until they got off! I honestly don't know why some people travel. It was like we were on two different cruises. Our river boat was small, only 68 people so you get to know just about everyone and I think about 95% loved it.

We would do another Scenic cruise in a heart beat.

We have recently booked a Budapest to Amsterdam cruise on Viking for October this year. We have done one cruise with them before from Amsterdam to Basel and were very impressed. Could not fault them, but cannot compare them to anybody else as we have only done one river cruise. Thus, we have booked with them.

We have always been priced out of rebooking a river cruise until Viking had this huge sale a couple of months ago. We got the 15 day cruise including all tours, gratuities and the silver liquor package for AUD$3690 each (no air). Less our past passenger discount and a Future cruise booking we had, bought the grand total down to $3300 per person, which we thought was outstanding and excellent value. I should mention that we booked a category E cabin, which has the small window and was the cheapest category going at the time (there is a category F, but they had already sold out). Most of the cabins are the same size, and we found last time we did the river cruise, we spent all our time in the lounge or on the top deck to get all the views, so we didn't spend any day time in our cabin as most days, we were off doing tours anyway. We told some friends in Perth about the deal and they jumped on it as well and they are bringing friends also!!!!

I have seen a similar cruise for under $3000 recently with Gate1. They do have more regular sales.

Be very careful of Gate 1, I think they have pull down type beds and you pay extra for everything. The fares might seem a lot cheaper to start with but by the time you pay for airfares, drinks, excursions etc, it usually evens out. Scenic, APT, Tauck, Uniworld are considered to be the most luxurious lines (there might be others I don't know about). I'm not an expert by any means. It all depends on what you are looking for.

I think you get what you pay for in the end.

What a timely response. I have just finished reading CC reviews on Scenic and was not too impressed by what was mentioned. Perhaps only the whingers were doing reviews. By contrast I browsed Viking reviews and they seemed glowing by comparison. Hmmm

More research required methinks.

This is normally the case reviews, most people are much easier to criticise than praise or say that it all went smoothly. If things go wrong, people are quick to complain and perhaps write a review but if everything is fine or better they often don't bother.

My brother and sister in law are doing a similar cruise with Viking in July. They are very conscientious with their budget and were happy to pay for the value

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We never spent much time in our cabin and having a suite would have been a waste of money, but all their new ships have suites on the upper two accommodation decks and cabins with narrow, high windows on the lowest deck.

BTW how are you feeling now? Have you shaken off the bug you caught on Golden?

I think I was over the cold by the time we flew home from Hong Kong. Thank you for your concern. You do hear stories of people picking up coughs and colds that won't shift from cruise ships.

When we are cruising, we do actually spend a lot of time in our cabin, which is why we always get a balcony. So no way of lowering the price of a river cruise that way! Just have to wait.

However, I will look in to some of the river cruises that don't include everything. We only drink about two drinks a day, so a river cruise that does not include drinks might improve matters.