Immigration Info Not Provided Until Check-In

bbgran190

Just tell her as someone else mentioned it will be in their data base whether she or they put it in...she can call and I am sure a rep will input it for her.

As we all know some people do not have computers and may book directly with Princess, how does the cruise line handle this situation?

Edited by land lover

Just tell her as someone else mentioned it will be in their data base whether she or they put it in...she can call and I am sure a rep will input it for her.

As we all know some people do not have computers and may book directly with Princess, how does the cruise line handle this situation?

I had to wrap myself around this one. If someone doesn't have a computer, the only way they could book is by phone, where the agent would take all the pertinent info.

Actually, the manifest must be electronically submitted no less than 60 minutes before departure. (For sea travel, CBP will require vessel

carriers to transmit passenger and crew manifests for vessels departing from the United States no later than 60 minutes prior to departure.)

Arrival is a different story (For vessels departing from foreign ports destined to arrive at a U.S. port, CBP is retaining the current requirement to transmit passenger and crew arrival manifest data at least 24 hours and up to 96 hours prior to the vessel’s entry at the U.S. port of arrival.)

You do not need a US passport to leave the US. You do need (when required) a passport to enter other countries. Failure to have a valid passport or visa (when applicable) will incur an expense on the cruise line as they will have to pay return you to the previous country you came from. This happens a lot with the airlines. Hence why they are rather meticulous when it come to checking immigration documents.

To complement the dire warnings above:

I once had a Total State Department Failure just prior to a transatlantic.................

.........................At check in, no drama whatsoever. But I'm a model citizen. Cough.

Great story. Although I'm still curious to hear why the OP's friend feels such reticence about posting their info online to Princess.

Edited by ar1950

It seems that the OP has not responded which could mean that they told their friend to get with the program or stay home. We have been behind folks that didn't have all their paperwork completed and it is a mess for those eager to get aboard.

It's my understanding that immigration information must be provided to Princess, who in turn provides it to immigration officials, several days ahead of time or boarding will be denied. And like Lew said, no boarding pass can be printed without it. It can either be submitted online or Princess has a form to fax, but it has to be provided ahead of time.

I agree 100 percent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to wrap myself around this one. If someone doesn't have a computer, the only way they could book is by phone, where the agent would take all the pertinent info.

Actually, if a person does not have a computer, they can go to a travel agent's office and let the agent do all the work for them.

Actually, if a person does not have a computer, they can go to a travel agent's office and let the agent do all the work for them.

Of course, if they want to use a local TA. I was under the impression they wanted to book directly with Princess.

If I was the OP, I would get in the friends face and say right out, do you or don't you want to sail. If no answer is forthcoming, I would quickly remove myself away from her, let her deal with the consequences. If by LUCK, she does sail, meet her on the ship at sailaway. I would under no circumstances stand by her side if she does not want to comply with regulations.

I just checked the OP's posts, the post before this one was in January, before that there were one post "threads". Not sure if OP is fishing or just putting it out there, but if this was an actual situation, the cruise date and line are not forthcoming, so not sure if the OP actually needs or wants this info. BUT, on the other hand, good question, so if anybody thinks they can get away without pre filling out their CBP information, now you know

Will be traveling with a couple of friends to Alaska later this year. One of our companions does not want to provide her immigration/passport info until checking in at the dock. Has anyone done this and what kind of problems, if any, can we anticipate by not providing the requested information earlier as requested.

Just one question why ???

Tony

THANKS TO EVERYONE - YOUR COMMENTS CONVINCED MY TRAVEL COMPANION TO COMPLETE THE ONLINE CHECK-IN.

Boarding pass and luggage tag printed.

For anyone who thought I might be fishing - No just don't post questions that often.

Thanks again - happy sailings.

THANKS TO EVERYONE - YOUR COMMENTS CONVINCED MY TRAVEL COMPANION TO COMPLETE THE ONLINE CHECK-IN.

Boarding pass and luggage tag printed.

For anyone who thought I might be fishing - No just don't post questions that often.

Thanks again - happy sailings.

Glad to hear she saw the light!.. Great question, hope it opened at least a few peoples eyes...happy sailing, have a great time.

Canada can be a bit "picky" when it comes to any criminal record. For instance, if one has a DUI or DWI (Driving Under the Influence or Driving While Intoxicated) or whatever it's called in your local area it must be more than 10 years after the completion of all fines, probationary period, etc. before you are "deemed rehabilitated" and allowed to enter Canada. Many people find this out the hard way each year when denied border crossing.

I'm told that you really don't want to be arrested for that offense in Canada as it's taken very seriously.

(On the other hand Canada shipped massive amounts of alcohol into the U.S. during the prohibition era... :rolleyes:)

Obviously there can be any number of reasons (fear of identity theft for example) that your friend doesn't want to provide the information in advance but I think not providing the information in advance might be a good way for your friend to end up "waving goodbye to the ship" as it leaves.

The USA will ban you from entering if you have any criminal convictions DUI is included. don't just blame Canada it the same in reverse

The USA will ban you from entering if you have any criminal convictions DUI is included. don't just blame Canada it the same in reverse

I just checked this on the immigration sites. Having a DUI on your record doesn't inhibit entry from Canada into the US in any way unless you have multiple convictions and then not always. The text from one site says:

The U.S. does not deny entry to persons with a conviction for “Driving Under the Influence” (DUI / DWI) despite how seriously Canada takes this type of offense. However, if there are multiple convictions for this and or other misdemeanors, you could be denied entry.

I just checked this on the immigration sites. Having a DUI on your record doesn't inhibit entry from Canada into the US in any way unless you have multiple convictions and then not always. The text from one site says:

The U.S. does not deny entry to persons with a conviction for “Driving Under the Influence” (DUI / DWI) despite how seriously Canada takes this type of offense. However, if there are multiple convictions for this and or other misdemeanors, you could be denied entry.

I know 2 people that were denied entry into the USA because of a impaired charge. They were both told that needed to apply for a pardon and had to wait a few years after the offence to get that. Also if they tried to enter again without the pardon they would be put in jail and if in a car it would be seized. The one was not that long ago.

At the very least, she will slow down hers and your boarding if you're boarding together. She won't have luggage tags so the stevedore will have to fill it out for her when she gets to the pier.

At check-in, she won't have her boarding pass which isn't a biggie but because she'll have to provide everything then, it'll slow down check in and boarding not only for herself but everyone else in line behind her.

The manifest must be submitted by the ship an hour or two before sailing. If she checks in late without having previously filled out her PIF, the ship cannot sail until the manifest has been submitted. In other words, she could delay the ship's sailing.

The bottom line is that her refusal will mean a big PITA and if there are any issues, she won't be allowed to board the ship.

Did she give a reason for not wanting to fill out the information? It doesn't make any sense to me and strikes me as being very selfish. :(

Did she give a reason for not wanting to fill out the information? It doesn't make any sense to me and strikes me as being very selfish. :(

Exactly. Why on earth doesn't she want to put her info online? :rolleyes:I don't think she'll be able to board otherwise