Two Questions

pbr

We are going on our first HAL cruise next week. Yeah! I have a couple questions that may seem silly but - is there some staff member on the ship that will punch a hole in your room card so you can put in on a lanyard? Are the outside of the cabin doors metal so we can use magnets to post notes for friends?

Thank you very much.

PBR

We are going on our first HAL cruise next week. Yeah! I have a couple questions that may seem silly but - is there some staff member on the ship that will punch a hole in your room card so you can put in on a lanyard? Are the outside of the cabin doors metal so we can use magnets to post notes for friends?

Thank you very much.

PBR

Easiest way to get a message is either leave on their phone or write a note and put in an envelope and put it under their door or in the mail box at the side of the door.

I don't think the doors will work. Easily the magnets knocked off.

I would never leave a message on my door. Anyone can read your message. :eek:

Phone or envelope is best.

Re Cards.... Front Desk will punch them for you.

The doors will not hold a magnet, but the door frames will.

You didn't say what ship you will be on, but if it's the Koningsdam you can not get your key card punched because of the RFID chip inside. :) On that ship you would have to use a pouch on a lanyard.

Thank you very much.

PBR

PBR, you can get the room card punched by the Front Desk staff or Neptune Lounge Concierge if you have a Neptune or Pinnacle Suite.

While the doors might not be metallic, the mailboxes are and you can use that for the notes.

Have a blast on your first DAM cruise:)

Joanie

The doors will not hold a magnet, but the door frames will.

You didn't say what ship you will be on, but if it's the Koningsdam you can not get your key card punched because of the RFID chip inside. :) On that ship you would have to use a pouch on a lanyard.

Surely the rfid chip is small enough to allow a hole in another part of the card?

Surely the rfid chip is small enough to allow a hole in another part of the card?

One would think so, but we were on it recently and they would not punch a hole in the card for that precise reason.

It appears the bar code is at one end and the chip at the other, and they don't want a hole in either? I haven't been on the ship yet, but if the bar code is still used to scan people off and on at the gangway, and that is the end that could be punched, then having a lot of people presenting the wrong end to be scanned would be a nuisance.

a8bbfd8471e70cbf7c55b589c1b7726f.jpg

Edited by jtl513

The Fidelio system scanners (at the gangway) as well as the ship's I.D. cards issued to the pax on the thirteen "other" dam ships are of an older generation than the scanners and I.D. cards being used on the new ship KODM!

Instead of the security guard using a 'pistol-like' scanner to scan the I.D. after the pax is asked to display that I.D. at the gangway, thereby placing the person being scanned in, or out, of the system, on the KODM the person is being asked to place his/her I.D. card into a scanner/reader unit positioned on top of the podium

Really good to know. Hadn't realized that. Thanks for the info!!