Afternoon Bus Transfers - Seward to Anchorage

spedrson

After disembarking in Seward we would like to go to the Sea Life Center before heading to Anchorage. Are there any bus transfers that leave in the afternoon as opposed to the morning? We're staying in Anchorage for 4 nights and aren't in any hurry to get there since we can't check in until 4pm.

I'm planning to stay in Seward overnight after my Alaska cruise next summer (to do the Kenai Fjords boat tour), then use the company I linked below for a transfer to Anchorage. The option I'm interested in includes a full day tour with stops along the way. I don't see any scheduled transportation that leaves mid day, but it appears that they may be able to schedule something just for you. It may be worth giving them a call.

https://alaskacruisetransfer.com

After disembarking in Seward we would like to go to the Sea Life Center before heading to Anchorage. Are there any bus transfers that leave in the afternoon as opposed to the morning? We're staying in Anchorage for 4 nights and aren't in any hurry to get there since we can't check in until 4pm.

Take the train, it leaves late in the afternoon, and if I remember correctly you can check your bags as soon as you leave the ship.

Edited by zqvol

It looks like Seward Bus Line has a 2pm departure time which would work perfectly, but their website doesn't say anything about storing luggage. Is there anywhere in Seward that will store luggage?

Per the previous poster the train is another good option. It leaves at 6:00 and arrives at 10:15, so it's not in the afternoon, either, but will give you a nice full day in the Seward area.

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/ride-a-train/schedules

I have spoken to them via phone and they DO allow you to check your bags there in the morning (as early as 10am I think). It is a convenience that we will be taking advantage of ourselves.

I don't think the buses have anywhere they can keep your luggage, though, so if your local tour operator cannot accommodate them, you might want to think about using the train.

Edited by love2driveinct

It looks like Seward Bus Line has a 2pm departure time which would work perfectly, but their website doesn't say anything about storing luggage. Is there anywhere in Seward that will store luggage?

I just went through this a few weeks ago and researched online, made phone calls, etc but the answer seems to be that only specific day tour operators and the train depot will hold your luggage.

In other words, if you are going on a Seward-based tour that day, some of them will hold your luggage for you. (The one we are using doesn't, unfortunately.) If you are taking the train, you can bring your bags there in the morning and check them. You will not have access to them again until you get to Anchorage, but you won't have to worry about them all day.

The bus lines that I called said that they could not hold luggage for us. Not sure if I called Seward Bus Lines, though, so it's probably worth it for you to call and double-check since their schedule works so perfectly for you.

If your tour operator cannot hold your luggage and prefers that you don't bring it with you, then you are pretty much stuck taking the train from what I can see. If there is another way, then I must've missed it in my research. I didn't want to wait any longer to make plans so we are booked on the train.

Edited by love2driveinct

Thank you so much everyone, especially love2driveinCT. Looks like I need to either take the train or book a tour to get luggage storage for the day. I don't think our budget can handle another excursion so it looks like we'll either take the train or just get to Anchorage early.

I don't know if Seward Buslines partners with anyone for luggage storage. They pick up at the pier so probably not, and there's no luggage storage at the pier. All you can do is ask.

When pax disembark in Seattle or Vancouver and have a red eye flight home, they often go to a hotel and tip the desk to hold their luggage for the day. Most hotels don't allow check in until 4 pm, so it's a common request to hold luggage. The Motel 360 (previously Holiday Inn) is a large hotel and is walkable from the pier.

Another thought ... drop your 4th nite in Anchorage and add it to Seward instead. Seward is a lovely town to spend an extra day. Enjoy all the fishing boat activities, watch the otters play off shore, take the $10 shuttle to Exit Glacier. As a guest, the hotel/B&B will hold your luggage.

p.s. the Park Connection Bus does a pickup/dropoff at the Small Boat Harbor AND Windsong Lodge. The Lodge has a free shuttle and they will hold your luggage. The 6:45pm departure would give you a nice full day to enjoy Seward.

http://www.alaskacoach.com/routes/seward-anchorage.html

Edited by mapleleaves
ps

mapleleaves - You've given me a lot to think about. Watching the otters play off shore may just convince me to add a night in Seward. I love otters! Whereabouts can you see them?

We spent three days pre-cruise in Seward, staying at the Holiday Inn near the train

depot and right on the harbor. We had a balcony over the water that had otters all

over the place playing in front of us. They also love being there due to fish cleaning

stations near the boats of course.

I will also echo others...take the train. They will store your luggage all afternoon, and then

take the scenic trip north to Anchorage after 6 pm. Plenty of time to enjoy Seward (luggage

free. :)).

mapleleaves - You've given me a lot to think about. Watching the otters play off shore may just convince me to add a night in Seward. I love otters! Whereabouts can you see them?

There's a waterfront trail that goes from the Small Boat Harbor to downtown (next to Sealife Center). About 1 - 1 1/2 miles long. You can find otters playing anywhere along that area. We stay in the RV camp next to the Harbor ; we can sit in our camper and watch them out our windows.

There's a waterfront trail that goes from the Small Boat Harbor to downtown (next to Sealife Center). About 1 - 1 1/2 miles long. You can find otters playing anywhere along that area. We stay in the RV camp next to the Harbor ; we can sit in our camper and watch them out our windows.

One of those RV parks really is directly on the water!! Full sweeping view over the harbor.

Interesting "sites" that are simply chalk mark type separation in that park. No frills, but

what a view!

What kind of RV do you have? We have a Fleetwood 35K bounder that we enjoy.

Edited by island lady

One of those RV parks really is directly on the water!! Full sweeping view over the harbor.

Interesting "sites" that are simply chalk mark type separation in that park. No frills, but

what a view!

What kind of RV do you have? We have a Fleetwood 35K bounder that we enjoy.

I don't own an RV ... I've rented a 22 ft from Great Alaska Holidays in Anchorage. On previous trips I tent camped. Too much rain and wind so I upgraded to the RV! Alaska lends itself well to RV travel .... it's so nice to travel around without reservations and just go where you want to go.

Don't think I could handle a 35ft Bounder .... that would be like driving a firetruck! But it would be a luxe way to go.

I don't own an RV ... I've rented a 22 ft from Great Alaska Holidays in Anchorage. On previous trips I tent camped. Too much rain and wind so I upgraded to the RV! Alaska lends itself well to RV travel .... it's so nice to travel around without reservations and just go where you want to go.

Don't think I could handle a 35ft Bounder .... that would be like driving a firetruck! But it would be a luxe way to go.

LOL!! Yeah, we call it our "Land Yacht". It is indeed big to most people, but at 35

feet, actually small when you compare it to many "diesel pushers" on the highway,

which are the 40-45 foot rigs with diesel engines in the rear. Those things will blow

our doors off when they pass us by!!

We live in Florida and enjoy going to the Florida state parks in the Keys and the Panhandle

to enjoy our time at the beaches and relaxing. Every other year we travel up to Maine

for the summer. Considered traveling up to Alaska, but just too far all the way from Florida

on those bad roads all the way up. So we let the captain take over on the "big ship" and

relax in style when we do Alaska. ;)

L

Considered traveling up to Alaska, but just too far all the way from Florida

on those bad roads all the way up.

I plan on driving to Alaska for a 4 month trip when I retire in 2 yrs. Right now I'm following the blog of a couple who just drove up to Seward. They decided to offset the expense of driving by working in Seward for the summer.

Last yr I followed the blog of a photographer who drove up to Alaska for a few months trip. Look for islandgirlwalkabout.

I plan on driving to Alaska for a 4 month trip when I retire in 2 yrs. Right now I'm following the blog of a couple who just drove up to Seward. They decided to offset the expense of driving by working in Seward for the summer.

All sounds fantabulous! Enjoy!! :D

Last yr I followed the blog of a photographer who drove up to Alaska for a few months trip. Look for islandgirlwalkabout.

I apologize for getting off-topic on this thread...

Could you post a link to the first blog you mentioned...the one where the couple is working in Seward for the summer? (I was able to find the Island Girl Walkabout blog.)

Thanks so much. And thanks for all of the excellent advice that you provide for this board!

Edited by AryMay

"Buses" aren't going to store any luggage. They aren't hanging around. They arrive for pick ups, maybe 15 minutes prior and are on the road again transferring customers. Pick ups are, many times at a stop on the street. :)

I also suggest you rethink what you may have for your itinerary? Unless you are in Anchorage- for a family/friend meeting etc, I wouldn't suggest you spend all that time there. Your "budget" mention especially indicates there are better options to consider perhaps.

I just went through this a few weeks ago and researched online, made phone calls, etc but the answer seems to be that only specific day tour operators and the train depot will hold your luggage.

In other words, if you are going on a Seward-based tour that day, some of them will hold your luggage for you. (The one we are using doesn't, unfortunately.) If you are taking the train, you can bring your bags there in the morning and check them. You will not have access to them again until you get to Anchorage, but you won't have to worry about them all day.

The bus lines that I called said that they could not hold luggage for us. Not sure if I called Seward Bus Lines, though, so it's probably worth it for you to call and double-check since their schedule works so perfectly for you.

If your tour operator cannot hold your luggage and prefers that you don't bring it with you, then you are pretty much stuck taking the train from what I can see. If there is another way, then I must've missed it in my research. I didn't want to wait any longer to make plans so we are booked on the train.

I got an e-mail from Manny at Seward Bus lines Today. They WILL be able

to accommodate luggage on the bus trip to Anchorage Airport, but I did not

inquire if they could store ahead of time.

Deanna

I apologize for getting off-topic on this thread...

Could you post a link to the first blog you mentioned...the one where the couple is working in Seward for the summer? (I was able to find the Island Girl Walkabout blog.)!

Hi AryMay

islandgirl's blog starts in May 2015 for their alaska adventure. He's a great photographer! And as a photographer he was able to drive his own car around Denali so he had some early morning and late evening drives.

this is the couple spending the summer working near Seward.

https://bkamericanodyssey.com/2016/05/14/continuing-in-canada/

And here's another photographer who's spending the summer travelling to and around Alaska. They just visited Kennicott, Chitina and McCarthy. We were practically neighbors!

http://thechouters.blogspot.com/

If you're looking specifically for people who are work-kamping in Alaska, ocassionally on mytripjournal.com there are journals from retired people who drove to Alaska in May to work in Alaska for the summer. Popular work sites are in Denali, Seward, and Homer. Last yr there were some birders who volunteered at the refuge in Homer. You can follow the journal list by day for any Alaska location, or, you can select a town list and see who's there or passing thru.

http://www.mytripjournal.com/travel-United_States-Alaska

Hi AryMay

islandgirl's blog starts in May 2015 for their alaska adventure. He's a great photographer! And as a photographer he was able to drive his own car around Denali so he had some early morning and late evening drives.

this is the couple spending the summer working near Seward.

https://bkamericanodyssey.com/2016/05/14/continuing-in-canada/

And here's another photographer who's spending the summer travelling to and around Alaska. They just visited Kennicott, Chitina and McCarthy. We were practically neighbors!

http://thechouters.blogspot.com/

If you're looking specifically for people who are work-kamping in Alaska, ocassionally on mytripjournal.com there are journals from retired people who drove to Alaska in May to work in Alaska for the summer. Popular work sites are in Denali, Seward, and Homer. Last yr there were some birders who volunteered at the refuge in Homer. You can follow the journal list by day for any Alaska location, or, you can select a town list and see who's there or passing thru.

http://www.mytripjournal.com/travel-United_States-Alaska

Thanks so much for sharing the links to these blogs. Reading about someone else's travels is the next best thing to going myself...both entertainment and useful information. :)