Just booked Balcony guarantee on Allure - What to expect?

We've cruised about a dozen times on Carnival, Princess, Holland America and NCL, but have just booked our very first RCCL cruise on the Allure of the Seas. Since we'll already be visiting my 91 year old mother in Florida, we decided to book a cruise while there.

None of the mega ships sail out of Galveston (5 hours away from home) and none of the cruises from Galveston go to St Thomas or St Kitts. Those were the two major factors leading us to this ship.

So....what's the very worst thing we will end up with by booking a Balcony guarantee cabin? We realize that we could end up with an inside facing cabin or an outside facing one. If you have sailed on this ship or the Oasis, which area did you prefer? My only concern about an interior facing balcony is the possible noise and lack of privacy. We're both 57, so we don't exactly run around our cabin naked all day, but enjoy the seclusion of not looking at neighbors.

Any tips or tricks or recommendations of what we should or should not do on this ship? I haven't even looked over the entire deck plan yet, so I don't know what all it has to offer. We're seasoned cruisers, just first time to RCCL.

TIA for any worthwhile information!

We've cruised about a dozen times on Carnival, Princess, Holland America and NCL, but have just booked our very first RCCL cruise on the Allure of the Seas. Since we'll already be visiting my 91 year old mother in Florida, we decided to book a cruise while there.

None of the mega ships sail out of Galveston (5 hours away from home) and none of the cruises from Galveston go to St Thomas or St Kitts. Those were the two major factors leading us to this ship.

So....what's the very worst thing we will end up with by booking a Balcony guarantee cabin? We realize that we could end up with an inside facing cabin or an outside facing one. If you have sailed on this ship or the Oasis, which area did you prefer? My only concern about an interior facing balcony is the possible noise and lack of privacy. We're both 57, so we don't exactly run around our cabin naked all day, but enjoy the seclusion of not looking at neighbors.

Any tips or tricks or recommendations of what we should or should not do on this ship? I haven't even looked over the entire deck plan yet, so I don't know what all it has to offer. We're seasoned cruisers, just first time to RCCL.

TIA for any worthwhile information!

There are 2 types of balcony guarantees. One being an Oceanview balcony guarantee (X) and the other being a Neighbourhood balcony (XN).

If you booked an (X) guarantee then you will receive a balcony cabin facing the ocean and not one facing the Boardwalk or Central Park.

Once your cabin is assigned (now until date of sailing) you may change it for any other cabin in the exact same category. (D6 for D6).

We prefer deck 8 or 9 for its proximity to Central Park.

We booked a balcony guarantee (oceanview) for the Oasis. Our cabin was assigned last week.

I looked to see if any other cabin was available in the category, but none were. I'm not upset about the room, it's just not where I would have selected on the ship.

But, for an $800 difference for my wife and I compared to the rate to choose your balcony, it was well worth it.

Thanks, Chris

Once your cabin is assigned (now until date of sailing) you may change it for any other cabin in the exact same category. (D6 for D6).

We are on the Anthem in July, booked two interior guarantees and they were assigned the very next day. However I called my TA a few days later to try and switch within the same category (Large Interior w/ virtual balcony) and they told me no.

We are on the Anthem in July, booked two interior guarantees and they were assigned the very next day. However I called my TA a few days later to try and switch within the same category (Large Interior w/ virtual balcony) and they told me no.

Call your TA back. I have switched cabins after they were assigned and so have many, many others on these boards. Just call and tell them you would like to switch from 123 to 456, no need to mention that you booked a guarantee. Many travel agents are not fully aware of every individual cruise lines policies for every different scenario that comes up or perhaps your TA can't be bothered.

You can switch within the same category you were assigned - nothing more - nothing less

OP you can expect at least the lowest category for the category you booked - there fore you cannot get anyting less than the guarantee you booked

You have two cabins? Are the two assigned cabins near each other, and is that something that you want? Perhaps there are no others like that.

If you want to post the cabin numbers, I will do some research for you. :)

The cabins are right down the hall from each other. I just wanted them closer to each other. I called my TA and they called RCL and they said no. 10211 and 10261

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The cabins are right down the hall from each other. I just wanted them closer to each other. I called my TA and they called RCL and they said no. 10211 and 10261

The reason they said no is that there are very few category L cabins available and yours are about the closest together that you find. Here is a screenshot of all the available cabins.

Maybe ask about 11185 and 111209...they appear to be a bit closer.

image_zpskeiqmqbh.png

Edited by Ourusualbeach

9227 & 9231

Make them give you those.

The reason they said no is that there are very few category L cabins available and yours are about the closest together that you find. Here is a screenshot of all the available cabins.

Maybe ask about 11185 and 111209...they appear to be a bit closer.

image_zpskeiqmqbh.png

When I originally called about changing there were several cabins in that category closer to each other, in fact two that were right across the hall from each other.

9227 & 9231

Make them give you those.

Well I just called and they said NO again! Because I booked a guarantee I could only change cabins if they repriced the fare to the current rates and I would lose my OBC. I guess we will make what we have work. I knew going in that our cabins could be separated or even on different floors so no big deal.

We booked a ocean view balcony guarantee for our cruise on Allure in September. We were assigned a cabin yesterday - deck 6 - front of the ship. While I am not thrilled about being right at the front we saved $1,500 by going the guarantee route so I can't complain.

Well I just called and they said NO again! Because I booked a guarantee I could only change cabins if they repriced the fare to the current rates and I would lose my OBC. I guess we will make what we have work. I knew going in that our cabins could be separated or even on different floors so no big deal.

We booked ocean view guarantee and the first time I called they also said no, they NEVER do that....well the very helpful Clarea (bob) said to call the c&a number and they switched no problem. My parents switched theirs 3xs! Maybe see if you or your TA can call them instead of regular customer service.

To the OP-this was our first time doing a guarantee and we ended up with D5 on deck 14. While we prefer decks 6-8, 14 was fine but we were able to switch cabins from an extreme forward cabin to one by the aft stairs/elevators. I think that's key for the oasis class to avoid llllloooooonnnnnggggg walks down hallways. It's a gamble but for us it saved over 1k so well worth the risk.

There are 2 types of balcony guarantees. One being an Oceanview balcony guarantee (X) and the other being a Neighbourhood balcony (XN).

If you booked an (X) guarantee then you will receive a balcony cabin facing the ocean and not one facing the Boardwalk or Central Park.

We prefer deck 8 or 9 for its proximity to Central Park.

I was assigned a cabin on the 8 th deck near my sisters , which is good but I wanted a one with the bed by the balcony and got one with bed by the closet , I asked to be changed but was told you can not change if you are on guarantee , so I am stuck with a bed by the closet

• 2 months later...

I recently was making a decision like you do I go G or pick my cabin on this mega ship. I picked my cabin.......on this ship I am sure there r plenty of undesirable cabins....at the time I made my booking it was only 80 dollars more a person...that was the deciding factor to me.....

It's fun to roll the dice though....Good Luck

BTW at one time RCI was generous with first time cruisers or loyal pax...but now they go for the upsell...........so your odds r diminished...

Edited by land lover