RCI charging us $2,000 more for booked cruise

I am on hold with them now (8 minutes supposedly) but I logged into my account and they have changed our rate by almost $2,000. Both online and my latest booking confirmation is in Canadian funds. The booking confirmation says $3,444 for our ocean view balcony stateroom and online it says $5,309.

I am a little freaked out, this is nearly the cost of a Junior Suite on our sailing. Actually, I am a LOT freaked out. :eek: Too bad they didn't change it the other way

...Too bad they didn't change it the other way

I've not read of any pricing mistakes going the other way.:rolleyes:

Seriously, do you know why your price changed? Did it happen after you logged into your account recently? Others have reported unexpected pricing changes recently, you are not alone.

The only thing I did was remove the transfers. He is talking with resolutions now trying to get me the Canadian offer from before and they are blaming it on me. "I should be careful when checking pricing" but even if I screwed up somehow, the current rate for my stateroom is $3,692 Canadian, not over $5,000.

Yes, I had been looking at a Jr Suite beforehand but they didn't change my stateroom, just the price.

I think I will be using a separate browser to look up pricing from now on.

They fixed it <phew>

I still don't know what happened. They say I did it but it still makes zero sense. The price was not the current price of a balcony OR of a Jr. Suite.

I'm just happy that it is fixed and yeah, I will definitely use another browser to check pricing and my usual browser to log into my account.

Thanks for the moral support

The same thing happened tome a few months ago. I have an upcoming cruise this July - was checking my invoice on the royal website and saw that the price had jumped - for some reason it was showing the invoice pricing in US funds.

I called and after about an hour they were able to straighten it out. I was told that I had probably made an online payment in US funds (which I did not). Regardless -they did make the change back to the original invoice, although it did take a few supervisors to do so. As long as you have your original invoice it won't be a problem. Call them and get it cleared up.

It happens to me a lot. Don't worry they will fix it. Good luck!!

Ellen, does it happen even if you are logged out and looking at your booking via the "back door" method?

They fixed it <phew>

I still don't know what happened. They say I did it but it still makes zero sense. The price was not the current price of a balcony OR of a Jr. Suite.

I'm just happy that it is fixed and yeah, I will definitely use another browser to check pricing and my usual browser to log into my account.

Thanks for the moral support

Glad it worked out. I wonder how many people don't pay that much attention and end up having to pay more because they didn't catch the change.

Edited by clarea

The same thing happened tome a few months ago. I have an upcoming cruise this July - was checking my invoice on the royal website and saw that the price had jumped - for some reason it was showing the invoice pricing in US funds.

I called and after about an hour they were able to straighten it out. I was told that I had probably made an online payment in US funds (which I did not). Regardless -they did make the change back to the original invoice, although it did take a few supervisors to do so. As long as you have your original invoice it won't be a problem. Call them and get it cleared up.

I would have understood more if it was in US dollars vs Canadian but both my statement and the website were in Canadian. Good thing I am anal about keeping track of stuff!

There's a bug in their system that when triggered will reprice the booking at the current rates.

Some people have reported seeing it happen when making a payment, or making changes to the reservation, or even just viewing the reservation.

It's happened to us twice.

Edited by nolesrule

There's a bug in their system that when triggered will reprice the booking at the current rates.

Some people have reported seeing it happen when making a payment, or making changes to the reservation, or even just viewing the reservation.

This may one of the best arguments for using a TA. Whatever bug it is that causes this does not happen if your reservation has been turned over to a TA. At least it has never happened to me and I don't remember ever seeing someone report this where their reservation had been turned over to a TA.

This may one of the best arguments for using a TA. Whatever bug it is that causes this does not happen if your reservation has been turned over to a TA. At least it has never happened to me and I don't remember ever seeing someone report this where their reservation had been turned over to a TA.

I was wondering the same thing. I book through an online cruise site and I've never had that happen either. But honestly, I don't make payment through Royal's site and I don't check the prices through their site either.

Not just to current rates, but to standard (ie. non promotional) rates, hence why there was such a huge difference in price.

Same thing happened to me a month or so ago and yes they blamed it on me :( It of course did get straightened out but what was ridiculous was they tried to make it sound like they were doing me this huge favor fixing their own mistake. I will be using a TA the next time I book with RCCL. I actually went to a local TA office and asked about transferring my booking the TA asked which ship I said Independence of the Seas and she said which cruise line is that? I knew then that I would not be transferring my booking to her:) I will have to find a good TA somehow.

Edited by mattR

I concur.

We use a local TA who is very knowledgeable. We may not always get as much OBC as the on-line agencies give, but we have no concern about an undesirable cabin, a cruise that's likely to be full of spring break kids, etc. She lets us know about sales on ships she knows we like and she re-books us if it's worthwhile when there's a price drop. We had a pricing problem once, and she took care of it, escalating it to Resolutions for us.

The one time my husband became sick on a cruise, I emailed her just to let her know. She reported the claim to our insurance and immediately emailed me exactly what we would need for documentation.

She also often accompanies groups, and we've met lots of fun people traveling with her.

It's wonderful to have a TA we trust implicitly!

Margy

Edited by Margy23