Stacey's Semi-Solo Caribbean Conquest!!!

sunbird21

Thanks Stacey for your review, I enjoyed it. We are family of 5 (3 kids) sailing on Conquest in December (Christmas cruise).

I'd love to know between those two hotels by the port which did you like better? was the price much different? One easier to get the boardwalk from?

They were similar in style and amenities, both had gorgeous pool areas, nice rooms, potential port views. They are literally across the bridge from each other with the Hyatt being east of the bridge. Hilton was easier to walk to Walgreens, Starbucks, etc and had the water taxi stop right out front that would take you to the beach and Boardwalk. However the Hyatt was probably only an additional 2-5 minutes further. You can't really go wrong with either hotel. I used Priceline express deals for each( if you go on better bidding it pretty much tells you how to guess what hotels are featured). I got the Hilton for $124 a night for a Thursday and Friday night and the Hyatt for $75 for a Sunday night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you mentioned it before, I don't remember. Is your Alaskan cruise solo? I can't wait to hear all about it either way! That is definitely on my bucket list.

I don't know if I did, but no, I'm going with my mom on that one. I'm excited!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just finished the very last part of you review and sad to see it's over. I really enjoyed this one as much as your others. I love the sarcastic humor you throw in and it sure sounds like you had a good time. This is one itinerary we haven't done yet and I know DH would love to do it, so I especially enjoyed following along. We have been to Grand Turk before but never the others. When you mentioned waiting on the others a few times, OMG, I can relate! I'm the same way and so glad I'm not the only one. :D

Oh, you had asked...underwater cameras. We have two, a Canon Power Shot D20 and a Fuji Finepix underwater. Canon Power Shot D20: got ours in 2013 and we really like that one too. With the Canon Power Shot, they now have a D30 but it averages around $250 - $350 (some more). A lot of that range is whether you just get the camera itself or get it with set that contains accessories. We've been happy with it and it gets great pictures. We've been happy with it. There had been reviews that don't give it good reviews and mention problems (forget what those are). Knock on wood, haven't had any issues with ours. Normal prices are around $250.00, so that could be a little pricey. DH got me mine for my birthday that year. The Fuji Finepix: Got ours in 2010, so it's pretty outdated in just six years. We've also been very happy with it. Although the pictures aren't quite as good as the ones I get with the Canon, they are still really good and part of that could just be that it's an older camera and didn't have all the bells and whistles that the newer models had. The Fuji Finepix now has newer models with higher megapixels and better features and some the price ranges I've seen are $119.00 - $234.00. The lower priced ones are the WP 80 and the higher are the WP 90, with WP 90 probably being the latest. Prices for all cameras can vary on whether you just get the camera itself or get it with a set that includes accessories.

Thank you for taking the time to do another review and even though it makes me cold thinking about it, I hope you have a great time on your Alaskan cruise. You may have mentioned already, but I forget...will you be doing a review? No pressure, but if you do, I'd love to follow along. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Stacey

Really enjoyed your saga. Am going on the Conquest next week-just a 4-day to Bahama's but loved learning about the ship through you. I picked up a couple of beach novels to put me in the mood then started reading your post and read that instead. Now I feel like I know you!

I am also a nurse, from CT, retired last December and now live in NC to be near new grandchild.

Also hate when others are not on time and it makes me a nervous wreck.

Good luck in your new job.

Btw you should consider writing a book. You have a nice style and plenty of stories/sources. Loved the photo store escapade!

For some reason, CC stops sending me updates-thankfully I happened to check on this today, so sorry for the late replies!

Pghsteelerfan thanks for the camera breakdown!! I am researching them now, will let you know which I end up with! Yes, I will be doing a review of Alaska-I am going to be gone 9/9-9/19(cruise is 9/11-9/18). I'll probably start posting towards the end of September on the NCL boards.

Jamman54, thanks for the compliment!! I love your reviews as well!!!!

Marcia014, thank you for the feedback. Yes, the shoulder got better after about a week, but lesson learned-no more rope swings for me!

HeyJut-thanks for the compliments!! I'm glad I was entertaining:) I do think of trying to write at some point in tie, but right now I just started my MSN online, so that's keeping me busy(and work as well). Congrats on retirement!! I hope you enjoy the Conquest!!

Thanks again to any lurker readers out there, and I hope to see some of you in September when I review the Norwegian Pearl!!

Stacey

I will definitely be back in September for Alaska. I'm looking forward to it already. :):p:D I've sailed Pearl in the Caribbean with a friend and we had a great time.

Heather

How is Alaska in September. Two friends and i want to book in September as the rates are lower. Are most excursions still available I have gone in May and July before. Alaska has become my yearly go to spot.

Thank you

Diana

How is Alaska in September. Two friends and i want to book in September as the rates are lower. Are most excursions still available I have gone in May and July before. Alaska has become my yearly go to spot.

Thank you

Diana

Sorry, I meant I would be back in September to read Stacey's next review. :o I've never been to Alaska but sailed on Pearl to the Western Caribbean. :)

Heather

ansoninc, andoria, chellum Thank you guys for the compliments, and glad you enjoyed the review!!!

I'm glad people are still enjoying this, and my other reviews! As I said before, I hope to see a lot of you on my NCL Pearl Alaska review(leaving in 3 weeks!!!), but I have ANOTHER surprise especially for you fellow Carnival peeps....

Take a look at my countdown clock below for a hint....

That's right, in January 2017, brought to you by yours truly, stay tuned for a Stacey review OF THE BRAND NEW(okay, 9 month old at that point) CARNIVAL VISTA in a FREAKIN HAVANA CABANA EXTENDED AFT BALCONY CABIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I'm just a wee bit excited, if you couldn't tell).

It all started with a casual search, and ended with a heart flutter as the balcony window softly suggesting that I could upgrade to the Cabana for xxx more.....

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled reading.

See you all in September or January!!!!

Stacey

Thanks so much for this great review! We leave at the end of October for this same trip!! Can't wait!! It's been a few years for us!

I have a couple questions if you ever check back on this thread!!

I want to try to get the the Hard Rock Cafe in Aruba, do you know if it's near where we dock??

When you were in the Dominican Rebublic did you try MamaJuanna? (their Island drink) It's a doozy! LOL

Thanks again for all the info, great job!!

My sympathies about your kitty, we've lost one a few years ago, so sad!!

Kath

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks so much for this great review! We leave at the end of October for this same trip!! Can't wait!! It's been a few years for us!

I have a couple questions if you ever check back on this thread!!

I want to try to get the the Hard Rock Cafe in Aruba, do you know if it's near where we dock??

When you were in the Dominican Rebublic did you try MamaJuanna? (their Island drink) It's a doozy! LOL

Thanks again for all the info, great job!!

My sympathies about your kitty, we've lost one a few years ago, so sad!!

Kath

Thank you for your kind words about my cat :)

I apologize for the delay in reply-for some reason, when I use Tapatalk(which I mostly use b/c I can read the forums on my phone on the subway and such) it stops updating me about a month or so later. I happened to be reading another Carnival review and saw my thread on the first page, so I checked it out. In any case I hope this is still soon enough for your cruise!

We didn't go to the Hard Rock, but I think I saw it with other "fun" restaurants(Senor Frogs, Fat Tuesday) in a cluster on the main road across from the side that goes to the beach. Like, our cab drove outside the port complex and took a left, and we were on that road for awhile and then turned right(I think) onto another long road that had all of those on the right side and the hotels and such on the left side, which is where the main beaches were. I know that's probably not much help, but if you are trying to figure out if its close to the beach, it is.

I didn't get to try a Mamajuana!! I saw the bottles that they sold in the shops, but it was sooo hot that day that I just stayed hydrated(well, my version of non alcoholic hydration, that is) and didn't drink until I was back on the Conquest. I'll have to get some next time.

Have fun on your cruise!!! At this point ,I can't imagine a few years in between cruising, but I'm sure it'll happen one day LOL. Anyway, it was one of my favorite ships and itineraries-8 days just FLEW by.

Thanks for your great review! I'm also a nurse in NYC and will be on the Conquest next month to celebrate my mom's 70th. Different itinerary but good to get the lowdown on the ship. Hope your Alaska cruise was awesome!

You're welcome, fellow NYC nurse!!! I hope you guys enjoy the Conquest!! I'm actually heading to Alaska NEXT WEEK(Just a tad excited) with my mom as well. Here's to upcoming cruises!

• 1 month later...
Yes, I am an Ohioan!! I live in Columbus and went to Ohio State!! I didn't realize you were in Ohio too! We didn't meet on the ship, but I remember watching the drink contest and seeing you down there :)

Appreciate seeing Ohioans celebrating Caribbean fun and their love for Ohio State, etc. Great Buckeyes game last night in beating the Badgers in Madison, Wisconsin. Sorry to be a little off topic!! Beautiful weather right now in Ohio, but winter is coming soon and we will need those breaks to sunny areas.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 157,482 views for this posting.

• 3 weeks later...