What info to show at specialty restaurants

elruth

I know that on my cabin card it will show the dining package which was a free perk. 3 dinners. I made reservations online for the 3 dinners and the 2 at Le Bistro ( I am platinum ) Now I have a print out of the times, restaurants, dates but I am wondering if I have to bring that piece of paper to each restaurant? When we were on the Escape in April we made our reservations when we got on board and for each restaurant, she gave us a little piece of paper that showed the time, date. We're going again on the Escape in Sept.

You will get dockets for the Platinum dinners in your cabin on the first evening. You will have to take one each time when you want the free dinners from your Platinum level. Only the ones from the free UDP package will appear on you cabin key.

When you show up at each restaurant, you need to tell them if you are using your SDP, using your platinum certificates (which come with a bottle of wine), or paying a la carte. At the end of your meal, your waiter will close out the bill based on method of payment.

You don't have to bring your confirmation to the restaurants, but if you have some time at the beginning of your cruise, it's not a bad idea to stop by the restaurant desk (or any staffed specialty restaurant podium) and double-check with them that all of your reservations are in the system. Then hang the print-out on your cabin wall so that you yourself don't forget what you have reserved!

I know that on my cabin card it will show the dining package which was a free perk. 3 dinners. I made reservations online for the 3 dinners and the 2 at Le Bistro ( I am platinum ) Now I have a print out of the times, restaurants, dates but I am wondering if I have to bring that piece of paper to each restaurant? When we were on the Escape in April we made our reservations when we got on board and for each restaurant, she gave us a little piece of paper that showed the time, date. We're going again on the Escape in Sept.

You don't need to bring anything for the SDP since it's on your card and in their computer they track the reservations and the ones you've used. Even though they also do that for platinum perk you do need to bring the dinner voucher that was in the envelope in your cabin.

When you made your reservations online, how did you differentiate which ones were SDP and which ones were platinum perk? I want to also do ours online at 90 days out but we aren't doing SDP first and then the perks. We're alternating so we can use leftover perk wine at SDP. :)

Edited by NMLady

When you show up at each restaurant, you need to tell them if you are using your SDP, using your platinum certificates (which come with a bottle of wine), or paying a la carte. At the end of your meal, your waiter will close out the bill based on method of payment.

Do people have good luck with this? On a recent cruise, we wanted to pay one of the less expensive out of pocket. After some back and forth, we were told we would have to go to the guest services desk to have the "free" night put back and have the dinner charged to our room. Needless to say, for $10 we weren't going to put that much effort into it.

For our next cruise, we have 3 nights of SDP and 4 nights of UDP and a platinum meal. I hope it all goes smoothly. Somehow I manage to stress about stupid stuff like this. LOL

Do people have good luck with this? On a recent cruise, we wanted to pay one of the less expensive out of pocket. After some back and forth, we were told we would have to go to the guest services desk to have the "free" night put back and have the dinner charged to our room. Needless to say, for $10 we weren't going to put that much effort into it.

For our next cruise, we have 3 nights of SDP and 4 nights of UDP and a platinum meal. I hope it all goes smoothly. Somehow I manage to stress about stupid stuff like this. LOL

Did you tell the hostess before you were seated that you were going to dine a la carte so not count it as one of your free SDP?? You have to let hostess know at check in what you are using.

Did you tell the hostess before you were seated that you were going to dine a la carte so not count it as one of your free SDP?? You have to let hostess know at check in what you are using.

If you didn't then when the card is swiped it will automatically read that you have UDP/SDP and set up the billing in that form. The bill then will show what you have eaten and drunk; will have the value of the UDP/SDP as a discount and then will have the charge to your cabin (generally the cost of your drinks).

Yes, we do this on every cruise. And we take 5-6 cruises a year. On our cruise last month, we ate at specialty restaurants 10 times. 4 on SDP, 2 on Platinum Certificate, and 4 out of pocket.

The fact that you went "back and forth" would indicate that you did not make your desires explicitly clear when you checked in with the host and at time of payment.

Dining Tip: If the host swipes everyone's card at the podium, they are setting you up to pay by SDP/UDP. If the host swipes only one card at the podium, then they are setting you up for some other form of payment (a la carte or platinum certificate).

Dining Tip: Your pre-booked dining and show reservations appear at the very bottom of your eDocs.

Edited by BirdTravels

When you made your reservations online, how did you differentiate which ones were SDP and which ones were platinum perk? I want to also do ours online at 90 days out but we aren't doing SDP first and then the perks. We're alternating so we can use leftover perk wine at SDP. :)

You don't differentiate between SDP, Platinum, or Pay On Your Own.

However, you should book any flat rate restaurants FIRST when booking on line. Those would include dinner shows (cirque, illusionarium, Supper Club Cabaret), lunch shows (wine lovers), Monderno, Teppanyaki. THEN book your standard a la carte restaurants (Le Bistro, Italian, Cagney's). THEN book your up charge a la carte restaurants (Ocean Blue, Bayamo).

I.e., if you have a 4 meal SDP, the system assumes that the first 4 reservations you make are being paid by the SDP (even if they are not). Booking the order above helps prevent you from being overcharged and having to get refunded on the ship.

You don't need to bring anything for the SDP since it's on your card and in their computer they track the reservations and the ones you've used. Even though they also do that for platinum perk you do need to bring the dinner voucher that was in the envelope in your cabin.

I made the Le Bistro reservation first so we could get the bottle of wine ( Platinum perk ) and then reserved Cagneys and then Le Bistro for the second bottle of wine etc. Our reservation knows we are platinum and it showed $ 0 for monies owed. We are using Cagneys for the 3 dinner free package

I made the Le Bistro reservation first so we could get the bottle of wine ( Platinum perk ) and then reserved Cagneys and then Le Bistro for the second bottle of wine etc. Our reservation knows we are platinum and it showed $ 0 for monies owed. We are using Cagneys for the 3 dinner free package

It shows $0 for the monies owed because all the restaurants you listed are now ala carte and they can not know in advance what you would be ordering and how much the total would be even if you weren't platinum or didn't have SDP.

Sorry for the basic question: can you take the Platinum free bottle of wine with you if you don't finish it? Thx

Yes, you don't even need to open it during the dinner - we haven't when we've had UBP.

Dining Tip: If the host swipes everyone's card at the podium, they are setting you up to pay by SDP/UDP. If the host swipes only one card at the podium, then they are setting you up for some other form of payment (a la carte or platinum ....

This was not our experience in April on the Jade. I made reservations aboard with my card. At specialty restaurant I only showed my card for our purchased 3 SDP even though my husband also had the purchased SDP. For all 3 SDP meals, two at Cagneys and one at Le Bistro, my husband's card was never asked for.

You don't differentiate between SDP, Platinum,

I.e., if you have a 4 meal SDP, the system assumes that the first 4 reservations you make are being paid by the SDP. ... .

Thanks. I'll book our 5 SDP online and will wait until we board to book our Platinum perk.

Edited by NMLady

Sorry for the basic question: can you take the Platinum free bottle of wine with you if you don't finish it? Thx

It always takes us 2 nights to finish the bottle of wine we get at Le Bistro as part of our Platinum benefits. I like the fact that they will take it and store it and then you can show your ticket at any of the restaurants and they will bring it to your table. Ex: the next night you may be in Savor or Taste ( using Escape as an example ) and the waiter will bring you the remaining wine. Before you leave Le Bistro, they will get your cabin number and name and give you a receipt. Just be sure to save that little receipt in your wallet or wherever so you can show it when you go to the next night's restaurant.

It always takes us 2 nights to finish the bottle of wine we get at Le Bistro as part of our Platinum benefits. I like the fact that they will take it and store it and then you can show your ticket at any of the restaurants and they will bring it to your table. Ex: the next night you may be in Savor or Taste ( using Escape as an example ) and the waiter will bring you the remaining wine. Before you leave Le Bistro, they will get your cabin number and name and give you a receipt. Just be sure to save that little receipt in your wallet or wherever so you can show it when you go to the next night's restaurant.

Thank you..... I don't drink so I was concerned that my poor wife would have to handle it on her own during a single dinner. For some reason, I had in my head that a complimentary bottle was handled differently.

Edited by esm54687

All you have to do is show up at the restaurant and give them your name and cabin number, you don't show them anything. They will get your card when you finish and ring it like any other bill at any restaurant on shore, except that it will show a zero balance.

Edited by zqvol