Are multi-port usb chargers banned

31 minutes ago, vadersprincess12 said:

Charles4515 ~ thanks for your input.  All of the chargers I am seeing show the CE symbol which is the European symbol; having a hard time finding anything with the UL symbol.  Royal's website says they must be stamped with US/European conformance marking.  So if people cannot find the UL, they are still okay with the CE symbol.  Hopefully that helps clarify.

Likely depends on if you are looking at a charger sold in N.America or Europe. All my N.American plug USB chargers have a circled UL symbol.

• Like 1

The Travel Scouts on YouTube just posted the RCI prohibited items list that has just been updated.  The adapters to charge multiple USB cables are allowed.  The adapter to charge multiple electronic devices are prohibited.  That is such a relief!

38 minutes ago, iuki said:

The Travel Scouts on YouTube just posted the RCI prohibited items list that has just been updated.  The adapters to charge multiple USB cables are allowed.  The adapter to charge multiple electronic devices are prohibited.  That is such a relief!

Yep, post #170 from yesterday

• Like 1

On 6/14/2016 at 11:48 AM, Fouremco said:

I like the products from PowerCube, particularly this model:

41%2B0zSeqezL._SY355_.jpg

You can charge up to 6 items, 4 via AC and 2 via USB. Just use the AC chargers that come with your devices rather than just the USB cable. Unlike a pure USB hub, you get a bit more versatility with this. It's also not surge protected, another benefit for use onboard.

I would double-check if it’s ok.  My understanding is only adapters that charge USB cables are allowed.

4 minutes ago, iuki said:

I would double-check if it’s ok.  My understanding is only adapters that charge USB cables are allowed.

Back in 2016, when that post was made, it was fine.

This has already been hashed out over the last week in like 3 different threads.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2024 at 1:44 PM, mil76 said:

Just ordered both of these.  If they take the Euro charger I can still use the cable to charge three devices and my Galaxy watch using the charger for my Mac.

image.png.0835012b2523a48fc199ca77fbe0934a.png 

And just when you think you've understood the rules, RCCL moves the goalposts again.

Per their social comms on Twitter/X, USB blocks cannot have more than 4 ports.   So, the EU charging block, above - which I went out and bought TWO of - is apparently not permitted.

3 hours ago, Denversail said:

I’m on Odyssey and had multiple prohibited plugs in my bag and they didn’t take any of them.

the rules with prohibited plugs just changed within the last week or so. it will take some time for port security to be updated with the new rules

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, shof515 said:

the rules with prohibited plugs just changed within the last week or so. it will take some time for port security to be updated with the new rules

On Adventure now, and there is no issue with using our multi port USB charger.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sosai X said:

And just when you think you've understood the rules, RCCL moves the goalposts again.

Per their social comms on Twitter/X, USB blocks cannot have more than 4 ports.   So, the EU charging block, above - which I went out and bought TWO of - is apparently not permitted.

Can you post this communication? I haven’t seen a 4 port limit anywhere. I have searched the X feed for all RCG accounts and don’t see this anywhere. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Can you post this communication? I haven’t seen a 4 port limit anywhere. I have searched the X feed for all RCG accounts and don’t see this anywhere. 

All I could find was that someone on the comments section of a private blog site claimed that Royal reps told them that in a direct message on X (not public). 

By the way for different reasons I would not buy either of the pictured products. To many potential points of failure in the one with the cables. The block charger will probably block other outlets and since it does not have a cord with the 4 charging cables it could be too heavy in the outlet and fall out. I had that problem with some of the large international plug adapters. They kept falling out of the 230 outlet. Also a block charger with that many ports is probably going to charge slow.

Edited by Charles4515

4 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

All I could find was that someone on the comments section of a private blog site claimed that Royal reps told them that in a direct message on X (not public). 

By the way for different reasons I would not buy either of the pictured products. To many potential points of failure in the one with the cables. The block charger will probably block other outlets and since it does not have a cord with the 4 charging cables it could be too heavy in the outlet and fall out. I had that problem with some of the large international plug adapters. They kept falling out of the 230 outlet. Also a block charger with that many ports is probably going to charge slow.

Thanks, I couldn’t find anything official either on the 4 port limit, I doubt it exists, it makes no sense. 
Side Note: I have a couple of the “4n1” cables from Anker; they are great, get used a lot, and are probably nearing 3 years old now. 

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

On Adventure now, and there is no issue with using our multi port USB charger.

muti port usb charger is allowed by the new rules. it is the muti outlet adapters that have usb ports and 2 or more ac outlet plugs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Thanks, I couldn’t find anything official either on the 4 port limit, I doubt it exists, it makes no sense. 
Side Note: I have a couple of the “4n1” cables from Anker; they are great, get used a lot, and are probably nearing 3 years old now. 

I have had good luck over the years with Anker products and mostly only buy their charging products.  I had one charger from them that failed about 6 years ago soon after I bought it and they promptly replaced it. Right now I am using a 3 and 1 Anker MagSafe travel charger when I travel and an Anker Power Battery. 

Edited by Charles4515

7 minutes ago, shof515 said:

it is the muti outlet adapters that have usb ports and 2 or more ac outlet plugs.

Those have never been allowed. Any device that allows you to split the 110/220V input current into multiple 110/220V output currents has always been banned. Adding 1 or 2 USB ports to a banned device doesn’t change the underlying policy.

Edited by orville99

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

It was in the Royal Caribbean blog about two weeks ago:

IMG_0399.png

2 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

That doesn’t say anything about a 4 port limit 

that is what is being questioned 

If the official policy linked inside of that article doesn’t say anything about limits, then the policy has to bec interpreted as all multiport 110/220V blocks are prohibited regardless of the number of output plugs.

Just now, orville99 said:

If the official policy linked inside of that article doesn’t say anything about limits, then the policy has to bec interpreted as all multiport 110/220V blocks are prohibited regardless of the number of output plugs.

You are confusing ports and plugs 

The official policy on Royal’s website CLEARLY states multi port USB plugs are allowed and it makes no mention of any limits on the number of ports. 

5 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

You are confusing ports and plugs 

The official policy on Royal’s website CLEARLY states multi port USB plugs are allowed and it makes no mention of any limits on the number of ports. 

As I predicted in one of my posts on one of these threads on what is now prohibited some people would still find a way to be confused if Royal Caribbean clarified their policy.