Alaskan Journey on Explorer of the Seas

Thank you OP for the review and amazing photos. I've sailed to Alaska three times and can say I never will get tired of looking at pics and seeing what other people select to do!

Great shots of one of my favorite Canadian cities, Victoria!

Thanks for the comments. I too love Victoria and cannot wait to return in September.

Thanks for the comments. I too love Victoria and cannot wait to return in September.

The walk along the seawall to Beacon Hill Park is a nice walk (you might have done it).

If you haven't yet --- don't forget to stop into Roger's Chocolates. I do prefer Purdy's (Vancouver) but always hit Roger's when in Victoria.:)

Craigdorrach is nice, kinda spooky when it's a bit foggy or near dark.

Love Butchart, alas it is a trek to get there. Ship excursion is best. High Tea at the Empress is also great (at least the times I've been).

I'm Jealous!!

The walk along the seawall to Beacon Hill Park is a nice walk (you might have done it).

If you haven't yet --- don't forget to stop into Roger's Chocolates. I do prefer Purdy's (Vancouver) but always hit Roger's when in Victoria.:)

Craigdorrach is nice, kinda spooky when it's a bit foggy or near dark.

Love Butchart, alas it is a trek to get there. Ship excursion is best. High Tea at the Empress is also great (at least the times I've been).

I'm Jealous!!

Thanks much for the recommendations. We did the Butchart ship excursion on our last Alaskan cruise and loved it. Where is Roger's? DH is a chocolate freak.

I have loved reading these reviews! We are boarding the Explorer this Friday for the Alaskan cruise with our two boys (12 and 16). A little nervous because my older son has told us he is not very excited for "sight seeing" but hoping he will get a lot out of the trip! The weather forecast is not extremely favorable but we will take it as it comes and hope for at least a little sunshine! So both the boys have been begging me to ask about the Starbucks and if it's an actual Starbucks. Do they have all the normal Starbucks offerings, etc? Thanks again for all the great reviews!!

I have loved reading these reviews! We are boarding the Explorer this Friday for the Alaskan cruise with our two boys (12 and 16). A little nervous because my older son has told us he is not very excited for "sight seeing" but hoping he will get a lot out of the trip! The weather forecast is not extremely favorable but we will take it as it comes and hope for at least a little sunshine! So both the boys have been begging me to ask about the Starbucks and if it's an actual Starbucks. Do they have all the normal Starbucks offerings, etc? Thanks again for all the great reviews!!

There is no actual Starbucks on Explorer. They do have specialty coffees at Cafe Promenade that may or may not use Starbucks beans.

Yes, there is a coffee counter in the Cafe Promenade shared with Ben and Jerry's serving Starbucks. The offerings weren't too extensive but they do have my caramel latte.

My 14 year old GS enjoyed the salmon bake and Mendenhall Glacier a lot! He met some other teens and had a great time hanging out with them on the ship.

Thanks for your review an great photos. We are taking our second Alaskan cruise next May and I am watching for everything Explorer this summer.:) We took a different route the last time and didn't go through the Straits of Juan de Fuca. Can you recall if you made it to open ocean before dark? The reason I am asking is I was stationed near Cape Flattery, Washington Peninsula many years ago and am hoping to get a view from the ship. I remember looking out from our tower on Bohokus Peak in the early mornings and seeing the ships as they passed.

1581271247_CapeFlattery.jpg.acab4ad49c20ac5e98b7d2ba8f70ff74.jpg

Thanks for your review an great photos. We are taking our second Alaskan cruise next May and I am watching for everything Explorer this summer.:) We took a different route the last time and didn't go through the Straits of Juan de Fuca. Can you recall if you made it to open ocean before dark? The reason I am asking is I was stationed near Cape Flattery, Washington Peninsula many years ago and am hoping to get a view from the ship. I remember looking out from our tower on Bohokus Peak in the early mornings and seeing the ships as they passed.

You are welcome. I can't remember when we hit open water and DH can't either. Hopefully someone on this sailing or previous ones will chime in. Enjoy your cruise -- how could you not!!:D

You are welcome. I can't remember when we hit open water and DH can't either. Hopefully someone on this sailing or previous ones will chime in. Enjoy your cruise -- how could you not!!:D

Thanks. I have a whole year to plan and anticipate. This is a first for this class ship so I am looking forward to that experience as well.

Great pix and commentary. Sorry to hear about the internet - sigh - we are on Explorer Seattle to Sydney in October this year. I had hoped they would have had the new system up and running after Sydney to Seattle with the launch of VOOM. Long trip with lousy internet connection...

I just found your review and wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed it. Your pictures are absolutely stunning! What type of camera and lens did you use!

Thanks much! For most of the photos I used my Nikon D3300 with the 18-55 lens. A few were taken with a little Canon PowerShot point and shoot.

Great pix and commentary. Sorry to hear about the internet - sigh - we are on Explorer Seattle to Sydney in October this year. I had hoped they would have had the new system up and running after Sydney to Seattle with the launch of VOOM. Long trip with lousy internet connection...

Thanks! Hopefully you'll have a better Internet experience. Enjoy your sailing.

Thank you for the report and pictures. We are taking this sailing in Sept and the scenery looks gorgeous. :)

You are welcome. Yes, I can't say enough about the remarkable scenery in Alaska. I've been to Hawaii 13 times because of its sheer beauty, but I tell you Alaska is right up there!! Enjoy your cruise.

Was wondering about no luggage valet in Seattle. We will be sailing this cruise in two weeks and was told there was the valet service when we get off. Thanks for the great review and pictures

Thanks for your comments. Yes, it's a real bummer that there is no longer luggage valet in Seattle. Well worth the money to us. Do enjoy your cruise!