Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
canadian9981

Palma de Mallorca - DIY?

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, roger b said:

Thanks a bunch!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am thinking about renting the car and driving to Valdemossa & Soller,  is it easy to drive there?  Is there anything I need to watch out for.   How is the traffic and parking?  TIA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I rented a car and drove to Valdemossa and Sóller. I was staying in Palma for several days, so I had a whole day to drive around the island. It was pretty easy once I got  out of the old town of Palma, with the VERY narrow roads. No traffic or parking issues. Was one of my best days there. 

E53912B3-4A94-49E5-B496-72698BF90D8B.jpeg

47406FF8-3324-4CBB-918C-9AB46B6F2C66.jpeg

Edited by Justmeme13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, TonyTva said:

I am thinking about renting the car and driving to Valdemossa & Soller,  is it easy to drive there?  Is there anything I need to watch out for.   How is the traffic and parking?  TIA.

 Very easy Drive see all my suggestions for doing this by looking back through this thread ,love pics above just a small sample of the jewel of the Mediterranean. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Family of 4 adults arriving on the epic in port of Palma in less than 2 weeks from 1 to 8 pm. If we venture out via cab on our own to the Palma Nova beach area, which of the 3 beaches are best to be dropped off at? Are they all the same? Amenities differ? Lounger and umbrella rentals and how do we get them? Restaurant recommendations?  Where best to stop on the way back, if time allows, to shop some nicer stores with our adult daughters.? So many questions, Sorry, our excursion (that we made months ago) ,has been cancelled and am now scrambling to put something together . Any help is very much appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cafevita said:

Family of 4 adults arriving on the epic in port of Palma in less than 2 weeks from 1 to 8 pm. If we venture out via cab on our own to the Palma Nova beach area, which of the 3 beaches are best to be dropped off at? Are they all the same? Amenities differ? Lounger and umbrella rentals and how do we get them? Restaurant recommendations?  Where best to stop on the way back, if time allows, to shop some nicer stores with our adult daughters.? So many questions, Sorry, our excursion (that we made months ago) ,has been cancelled and am now scrambling to put something together . Any help is very much appreciated!

If you go back through this tread you will find many suggestions for a day out Beaches  and restaurants, there is only one beach at Palma Nova with a wide choice of facilities ,Personally not my best choice I prefer Illetas beach which only a short taxi ride as shown on the last page.

 As far as shopping is concerned the best shops are in Palma itself,you have plenty of time to  do both.

 

https://www.abc-mallorca.com/palma-nova/

 

https://www.abc-mallorca.com/illetes/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a GREAT thread!!  I don't have a question, just a BIG thanks to Roger and everyone else who has given such great tips over the years!  My 3 boys are doing a coasteering trip, so I was looking for something for my mom and I to do that was fun and relaxing.  We are going to use one of the walking trips that was suggested!  Can't wait to enjoy this beautiful port!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank You Roger b! I have looked at both web sites, lots of great info! May I ask what tips the scale for you in terms of preference of the beach Illetas over Palma nova? Are rentals and restaurants easily accessible without having to pack up and leave or having to take another taxi? I will try to scour this very informative thread tonight! I appreciate you help , thank you again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cafevita said:

Thank You Roger b! I have looked at both web sites, lots of great info! May I ask what tips the scale for you in terms of preference of the beach Illetas over Palma nova? Are rentals and restaurants easily accessible without having to pack up and leave or having to take another taxi? I will try to scour this very informative thread tonight! I appreciate you help , thank you again!

Lots of reasons ,much prettier  ,beach bar and facilities  are bettter ,safe swimming,  good snorkelling as there are three small rocky  coves, more upmarket ,nearer the port  ,when you come off the beach the No3 bus willl take you to the center of Palma fo 2 euros 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, roger b said:

Lots of reasons ,much prettier  ,beach bar and facilities  are bettter ,safe swimming,  good snorkelling as there are three small rocky  coves, more upmarket ,nearer the port  ,when you come off the beach the No3 bus willl take you to the center of Palma fo 2 euros 

 Further to my last post This my best beach Don,t be put by the name beach club it is a public beach and no more expensive than any other beach,restaurant right on beach.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x12978e7748f40805%3A0x295ab328a2363108!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipN5kPfqNYvV8LLKYZhYLKtpZgHl4aFG9EPiKIyW%3Dw286-h192-n-k-no!5silletas beach palma - Google Search!15sCAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipN5kPfqNYvV8LLKYZhYLKtpZgHl4aFG9EPiKIyW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2017 at 10:42 AM, roger b said:

beach

Thank You so much for the link Roger b! Since the Epic does not dock till 1pm, We probably will not be arriving before 2pm, will there still be access to rentals of loungers and umbrellas (second week of June) at that time of day? (I know, may be hard to predict). Will there be a taxi stand at the port or do we have to take a shuttle to town and grab a taxi? Do I ask the taxi driver to bring us to the mentioned beach club or just Illetas? Will probably stay no more than 2.5 hours and then head to town center for some strolling, shopping and tasting! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cafevita said:

Thank You so much for the link Roger b! Since the Epic does not dock till 1pm, We probably will not be arriving before 2pm, will there still be access to rentals of loungers and umbrellas (second week of June) at that time of day? (I know, may be hard to predict). Will there be a taxi stand at the port or do we have to take a shuttle to town and grab a taxi? Do I ask the taxi driver to bring us to the mentioned beach club or just Illetas? Will probably stay no more than 2.5 hours and then head to town center for some strolling, shopping and tasting! 

 You should have no problem with getting a lounger if not on the beach that i showed you on one of the other beaches,if you look further back in this thread i have shown the 3 beaches,there will be plenty of taxis at the port, yes say the beach club , make sure he takes the motorway and comes of at the Bendinat turn off .

 You can either get the bus into town from the beach or they will call you a taxi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roger b. Thank You! I really appreciate all the time and assistance you have offered on this tread and to me! I was in a panic when the excursion I had booked months ago was cancelled just 2 weeks prior to travel. With this tread ( and your help) I feel so much more  prepared! !

I can not wait to experience Palma and report back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roger b, thank you so much for all your recommendations and patience while I sorted out my day in Palma. We took your advise and rented from Arash car rental. I have to say he has quite a niche there in leaving the cars in a parking lot with a lock box. What can be easier? It all worked out great. Drove out to Valldemossa and along the winding roads to Port de Soller and Soller. Such a beautiful ride. Took the quick ride back through the tunnel with enough time to drive around Palma. Roger, you're amazing. Thank you again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2019 at 4:06 PM, T.O.cruisers said:

Roger b, thank you so much for all your recommendations and patience while I sorted out my day in Palma. We took your advise and rented from Arash car rental. I have to say he has quite a niche there in leaving the cars in a parking lot with a lock box. What can be easier? It all worked out great. Drove out to Valldemossa and along the winding roads to Port de Soller and Soller. Such a beautiful ride. Took the quick ride back through the tunnel with enough time to drive around Palma. Roger, you're amazing. Thank you again.

T.O. cruisers can you tell me what your time schedule was? Picking up the car at what time and what time were you back in town or on board please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ine said:

T.O. cruisers can you tell me what your time schedule was? Picking up the car at what time and what time were you back in town or on board please?

Ine, we picked up the car just outside the port terminal in a parking lot at about 1:30pm. We were back in Palma just after 8pm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, T.O.cruisers said:

Ine, we picked up the car just outside the port terminal in a parking lot at about 1:30pm. We were back in Palma just after 8pm.

OK Thanks. We will be in port from 8 till 5 pm, back on board might be 4 pm.  We were wondering if a car would be doable for that trip. So I will talk this over with the othersand we might rent a car too. 

I assume you dropped off the car also near the terminal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ine said:

OK Thanks. We will be in port from 8 till 5 pm, back on board might be 4 pm.  We were wondering if a car would be doable for that trip. So I will talk this over with the othersand we might rent a car too. 

I assume you dropped off the car also near the terminal?

 Hi, you leave the car back in the car park where you picked it up, You will have plenty of time to have a very full day in Majorca , if you look back through  this tread I have covered and more all you requirements 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, roger b said:

 Hi, you leave the car back in the car park where you picked it up, You will have plenty of time to have a very full day in Majorca , if you look back through  this tread I have covered and more all you requirements 

Thanks. My husband was still doubting if this was doable. I think I convinced him now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello!

We are arriving nest on the Oasis and am undecided on which beach. Lilletes or Palmanova. which one is the easiest via public bus? google shows good options. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mousefan73 said:

Hello!

We are arriving nest on the Oasis and am undecided on which beach. Lilletes or Palmanova. which one is the easiest via public bus? google shows good options. 

 The easiest beach is Illetas No 3 bus I have given details of where to get it further back in this the thread, Oasis might dock at the new cruise terminal which will a little walk to get the bus which you will find on the in the street behind the shopping center Porto Pi (see Google maps ) Personally I would get in a taxi  ( about 12 euros) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have any experience with the Caves of Genova and its restaurant?  Is it within walking distance of the port?  Are there shops near the port?  Is there a bakery that is recommended?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, cc9914 said:

Does anyone have any experience with the Caves of Genova and its restaurant?  Is it within walking distance of the port?  Are there shops near the port?  Is there a bakery that is recommended?

, the Best 

 

The Caves at Genova are very nice and reach under the town, the best restaurant in Genova without a doubt is Can Pedro not to be missed .

There is a shopping center near the port called Porto Pi ( see google maps) For the bakery go to Carrafour in the shopping center.

http://cuevasdegenova.com/en/

 

http://www.canpedro.es/

Edited by roger b
Miss Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Roger - thank you for all of the great information! We are planning to go to Illetas Beach per your recommendation. You've mentioned there is good snorkeling there. Do you know if you can rent equipment on or near the beach? We will not be bringing our own but my teenagers are interested in snorkeling. Many thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a 7-day Caribbean cruise for two!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...