Friends hypothetical question stumped me

MMfan14

Have friends who never cruised before asked me what would happen if they booked a cruise for 3 people, paid for it in full, opted out of the insurance and when the cruise date neared, one of the persons bails out. Does that affect them from boarding the ship without the 3rd person not sailing with them? I told them it shouldn't.

The cabin might be changed and the no show loses all their money if close enough to sailing date.

I am assuming they split the cost 3 ways (maybe not) so the 2 remaining may have paid less than they normally would have as the third person paid a third. ;)

IF the person decides not to go, they should just be a no show, so the others don't get moved.

Either way that person is losing all of their money. Unless they cancel before final payment.

Good luck to your friend!:D

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think if they cancel the cabin would be re-fared at a 2 person rate and they might have to pay more if the price has increased.

I believe if it is close to sailing they should just be a no show.

If it's past the refund period...the cruise line keeps the 3rd person fare, and the others sail in a 3 person cabin with just 2 people. The 3rd person loses their money (or whoever paid it!), and the cruise goes on as normal!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think if they cancel the cabin would be re-fared at a 2 person rate and they might have to pay more if the price has increased.

I believe if it is close to sailing they should just be a no show.

The first two passengers are always assessed full fare. The third person gets the break. If past final payment the third loses all their money. If the parties involved had personally decided to split the costs 3 ways then the two sailing paid slightly less than they would have. Carnival doesn't care where the money came from. Carnival is not reassessing the cost for the other two.

Have friends who never cruised before asked me what would happen if they booked a cruise for 3 people, paid for it in full, opted out of the insurance and when the cruise date neared, one of the persons bails out. Does that affect them from boarding the ship without the 3rd person not sailing with them? I told them it shouldn't.

The third person can bail out, but there would be no refund if close to sailing, so no point to cancel.

Just tell them to show up to port and check in like normal. If anything is mentioned about #3 tell them they will be arriving later. There is no rule everyone has to board at once.

The only issue they will have is if person #3 was the only person old enough to book a room. Then they woud have an issue boarding. That doesn't seem to be the case since it sounds like they booked and then added #3.