Eclipsing Northern Europe by cruise : Basic black , and Baltic blues

scubacruiserx2

After 3 days of cold , gray and rainy the light broke thru less than half an hour from SPB .

IMG_128620Stitch-001_zpsc3wd9sez.jpg

Near Kronstadt we saw the Rastoropny lurking . Rastoropnyy (420) – Расторопный -Prompt (1989) –

Decommissioned in 2012. Laid up at Kotlin Island, St. Petersburg. Possibility of modernization and return to active service . Wikipedia

IMG_1289-001_zpsivro5oyc.jpg

We also saw the Soviet role model the Cruiser Aurora being refurbished .

IMG_1293_zpss7ei3xhw.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_cruiser_Aurora

IMG_3943_zpsigd8iarb.jpg

How maddening that the blue skies greeted you as you left SPB.

I have a picture which I use as wallpaper on my lap- top of the scene that we saw as we came out of the Hermitage on our second day- a wonderful sunny square!

How maddening that the blue skies greeted you as you left SPB.

I have a picture which I use as wallpaper on my lap- top of the scene that we saw as we came out of the Hermitage on our second day- a wonderful sunny square!

We just had to laugh when it happened !

Such a a pretty area where so many important sites seem to converge .

http://www.saint-petersburg.com/squares/palace-square/

98ee92d1-c928-4819-b9e4-6ff717ff0666_zpsnfzhogxi.jpg

Palace Square , the Winter Palace , the Alexander Column and the General Staff building - in the rain .

f56f1256-f03b-476e-8c5c-571a9615269a_zpsdkxl5xim.jpg

The General Staff Building and building rain clouds .

IMG_8951_zps2v37xzko.jpg

The sun comes out

IMG_8984-001_zpspdma0asn.jpg

The Winter Palace and the spire of the Admiralty where Nevsky Prospect begins .

Europe200920312_zpsfzrh9fvn.jpg

The facade of the General Staff Building , in the sunlight .

IMG_8947-001_zpsvful9vjr.jpg

The Winter Palace and the Alexander Column .

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Clearing skies in Kronstadt

IMG_1325_zpsp8hb7ycq.jpg

The beautiful Naval Cathedral

IMG_1304_zpslmghwdz3.jpg

Video clip :

We visited there in 2013

f3124c66-6be7-436a-a2d1-102b09705f2c_zpssjvfa1oh.jpg

No photos allowed inside , but I found this one online .

445763fd-a512-465f-810b-04a722e60a94_zpsxfcrnika.jpg

And after sailing through the massive flood gates , we were in the open sea ( Gulf of Finland ) .

Video :

IMG_1352-002_zpsd8anlg0e.jpg

After dinner we found the next day's Celebrity Today in our cabin , for a day at sea .

59a2cdeb-7a8e-4c60-aa63-ebe4be52610f_zpsbudeys9z.jpg

DSC06324-001_zpsmhzuhsoe.jpg

DSC06325_zps8qttspt4.jpg

DSC06326_zpsgslw9ky9.jpg

Ty wanted to play video games and Pat and I went down to the Martini Bar for a Martini Flight .

DSC06329_zpsfnrueqta.jpg

We had enjoyed a visit and the entertainment there on our TA also on the Eclipse . Video clip :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVhB8Sia7Ng

And we enjoyed 10 different mini Martinis on that evening .

DSC06331_zpsqtxhzw0o.jpg

The singers and dancers were performing some Queen songs on the stairs and on the deck below .

Video clips :

It was sure nice after 3 busy days of touring to have a day at sea . The day began in a most delightful way with this sight and a cup of coffee .

DSC06337_zpszoaiv2vn.jpg

DSC06336_zpsusx3dosb.jpg

The weather was beautiful and sunny !

DSC0637420Stitch-001_zps2d0wzm1c.jpg

And after reviewing the laundry prices , we opted to hand wash and open the curtains and door for some air drying .

DSC06360_zpstuqeze2r.jpg

DSC06498_zpsb6p8kepk.jpg

We had hopes that the $ 97 saved on laundry would go a long way at the Russian Bazaar , later that morning .

DSC06359_zpsgvlg4sdv.jpg

The free bag of laundry (x2) is certainly worth while!:)

It surely is a nice perk . :) :D

We have it on Carnival and Princess ( and they both have self service laundry ) and that's one of the reasons why we have more cruises with both of those cruise lines . We also like HAL which also has the self serve option . And other luxury cruise lines like Seabourn and Regent also offer self - service .

On the Celebrity web site they ask and answer the following question .

What is Modern Luxury?

The world has changed. Tastes have changed. Maybe luxury vacations could use an update as well. Modern luxury is airy spaces with all the right, tasteful details, restaurants where the design is just as important as the cuisine, intuitive service with a keen eye for detail , and doing as much or as little as you choose .

Thus , according to their definition , it should be about having options , like a choice to DIY . It's kinda like cruise ships trying to restrict private shore excursions in SPB . They can't get away with it on shore , but at sea , it's a different story . :p

We have it on Carnival and Princess ( and they both have self service laundry ) and that's one of the reasons why we have more cruises with both of those cruise lines . We also like HAL which also has the self serve option . And other luxury cruise lines like Seabourn and Regent also offer self - service .

On the Celebrity web site they ask and answer the following question .

What is Modern Luxury?

The world has changed. Tastes have changed. Maybe luxury vacations could use an update as well. Modern luxury is airy spaces with all the right, tasteful details, restaurants where the design is just as important as the cuisine, intuitive service with a keen eye for detail , and doing as much or as little as you choose .

Thus , according to their definition , it should be about having options , like a choice to DIY . It's kinda like cruise ships trying to restrict private shore excursions in SPB . They can't get away with it on shore , but at sea , it's a different story . :p

Yes that is an area that Celebrity and Royal could do better on.....but you should be getting close to Elite on Celebrity now since you've been doing longer cruises with them....

Glad you saw a bit of sun anyway as you left SPB!!

Your pictures continue to amaze....:)

We may have to try that "Martini Flight"......after 10 of them though I will need a taxi to get me back to my room!!! HA!!:D

Yes that is an area that Celebrity and Royal could do better on.....but you should be getting close to Elite on Celebrity now since you've been doing longer cruises with them....

Glad you saw a bit of sun anyway as you left SPB!!

Your pictures continue to amaze....:)

We may have to try that "Martini Flight"......after 10 of them though I will need a taxi to get me back to my room!!! HA!!:D

I'm not sure about Elite . We have 150 points each from 3-14 day cruises . Their web site says 300 , but we're not sure if that's p.p. or combined .

We noticed that it always seemed to be sunny when we were away from the land and rainy inland . :confused:

Thank you , the light really helps with the photos !

They are mini Martinis , about half size . And I'm sure that you wouldn't be the first person to have a crash landing , after a Martini Flight !! :) :D

I agree with you on this. I'm Elite on Celebrity (because I'm Diamond on RCI), and even though we take advantage of the laundry perk I still have quite a few things I won't send out because I don't want them washed in hot water and/or dried on high heat.[emoji5]

I end up washing by hand and having a clothes line strung across my cabin for the two+ days it takes things to completely dry in the Caribbean humidity.[emoji12] People say they don't want to take time to do laundry on vacation, but I'd much rather put a load in, sit on my balcony, transfer clothes to the dryer, sit on my balcony again, and be done with it than play limbo with my undies for two days![emoji23]

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with you on this. I'm Elite on Celebrity (because I'm Diamond on RCI), and even though we take advantage of the laundry perk I still have quite a few things I won't send out because I don't want them washed in hot water and/or dried on high heat.[emoji5]

I end up washing by hand and having a clothes line strung across my cabin for the two+ days it takes things to completely dry in the Caribbean humidity.[emoji12] People say they don't want to take time to do laundry on vacation, but I'd much rather put a load in, sit on my balcony, transfer clothes to the dryer, sit on my balcony again, and be done with it than play limbo with my undies for two days![emoji23]

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I recall correctly , I first saw the clothes line on one of your threads ! :cool:

We had hoped for the $ 45 laundry bag challenge , but that didn't happen and so the hand wash / line dry was a plan B . Patty did do some more laundry , and so It was mostly clean by the time that we got back to Southhampton , because we still had almost a week left in the UK , post cruise .

Their web site says 300 , but we're not sure if that's p.p. or combined.

Joe,

You each will be Select with 150 points p.p

https://secure.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/membership/captains-club-overview

Just watch that they credit you both, I was awarded the points, but after Adrain became Elite they no longer credited him, until I contacted them. They said he was no longer a member!!

We've done the same number of cruises.

Edited by upwarduk

If I recall correctly , I first saw the clothes line on one of your threads ! :cool:

We had hoped for the $ 45 laundry bag challenge , but that didn't happen and so the hand wash / line dry was a plan B . Patty did do some more laundry , and so It was mostly clean by the time that we got back to Southhampton , because we still had almost a week left in the UK , post cruise .

I've posted one in the past. If it was mine, it was this one where I Photoshopped flowers over my panties because it just felt strange to post a picture of my undergarments!:eek:

Cartagena-Sunday-8352W-L.jpg

I felt sorry for my steward. He had to dodge my underpants for two days!:p

Edited by Cindy

Joe,

You each will be Select with 150 points p.p

https://secure.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/membership/captains-club-overview

Just watch that they credit you both, I was awarded the points, but after Adrain became Elite they no longer credited him, until I contacted them. They said he was no longer a member!!

We've done the same number of cruises.

Thank you Jackie . We did check and we're both now select . Thankfully , your vigilance was rewarded and is a positive example to be emulated - if necessary , and we're certainly happy that it turned out well ! :) :D

I've posted one in the past. If it was mine, it was this one where I Photoshopped flowers over my panties because it just felt strange to post a picture of my undergarments!:eek:

Cartagena-Sunday-8352W-L.jpg

I think that your Photoshopping has a more interesting selection of objets d'art than my photobucket stickers ! ;)

80cf931b-2aab-48b1-87c9-a8daad9e5a54_zpsiwhavasx.jpg

I felt sorry for my steward. He had to dodge my underpants for two days!:p

I don't know for sure , but I suspect , that during his career - he may have seen a lot stranger things than your flower arrangement . :eek:

After breakfast , but before lunch , we headed down to the Russian Bazaar . You can tell when you've been on the ship for a long time when you've lost touch with the news from around the world , and you begin to measure time by what meal of the day it is !

DSC0636220Stitch-001_zpsxoxs5u3z.jpg

It looks like we weren't the only ones rushin to find a bargain ! But , alas , they were no bargains to be found !

DSC06367_zpsvqe2hlag.jpg

In fact , Tyler's hat for which we paid $ 11 , was $ 30 on the ship ! It was at this point that we wished that we would have done a quick , last 15 minute , shopping spree before our 6 pm departure time in SPB . However , we did find a couple of nice specialty items for some special people .

It was really nice to have a quite day at sea before our long , day trip to Berlin and dinner was also nice and easy . Bread , butter and condiments were now on all the tables in the MDR and full self service at the buffet .

DSC06380_zpsosqq4psi.jpg

DSC06383_zpsbfqc12rk.jpg

DSC06386_zps6xdqcfx4.jpg

DSC06388_zpspqjx9m6b.jpg

After our return to the hip , we took a nap to help us stay up for the Beatles Celebration , the evenings entertainment . After waking up we noticed some movement on the balcony .

There were some windmills and what appeared to be an oil platform in the North Sea .

IMG_9086_zpskz1xdvga.jpg

Just saw a program on that ship on 'Mighty Ships', it is the one they use for putting up and maintaining the wind turbines.:D

I'm not sure about Elite . We have 150 points each from 3-14 day cruises . Their web site says 300 , but we're not sure if that's p.p. or combined .

To become Elite you need 300 points, if one person in the cabin is elite then they can take their cabin partner / room mate in with them to the elite lounge but you may only get one set of vouchers with the discounts. Some cabins earn more points per night than others, i.e. balcony gets 3 points compared to a concierge on 5 points.

As Rosie and I have cruised together we are at the same levels on each cruise line.:D

Hi Joe,

I have just started to read this thread. Hope all is well with you and Pat, will catch up soon.:D

Hi Mic , and welcome aboard ! :) :D

Just saw a program on that ship on 'Mighty Ships', it is the one they use for putting up and maintaining the wind turbines.:D

We really like the Mighty Ships series , but it's been mostly the Olympics on the telly here .

Hi Mic , and welcome aboard ! :) :D

We really like the Mighty Ships series , but it's been mostly the Olympics on the telly here .

Cheers, for the welcome.:D

The Olympics is on one network's channels here but for the other channels it is programming as normal.